PDA

View Full Version : Dailing text (no not an obvious anwer)

archiberry
11-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Is there a way to dial text on the 7100 using one key at a time?

For instance, when driving, I need to dial the extension of a person by last name. I can dial E, T or U fine, with pressing the Alt key and then 1, 2 or 3, but how do I dial R, Y or I without taking both hands off the wheel, holding the Alt key with one hand, and pressing the number with the other?

I do use a bluetooth headset, by the way.

Thanks.

penguin3107
11-14-2005, 10:36 AM
You don't have to hold the ALT key. Just press it, release it, then press the letter.

archiberry
11-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Penguin, that works for the first letter on the key, not the second one, like I want. Try it.

TXBBUSER
11-14-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't think you can.

SCODonnell
11-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Is there a way to dial text on the 7100 using one key at a time?

For instance, when driving, I need to dial the extension of a person by last name. I can dial E, T or U fine, with pressing the Alt key and then 1, 2 or 3, but how do I dial R, Y or I without taking both hands off the wheel, holding the Alt key with one hand, and pressing the number with the other?

On the 7100, the key next to the ALT that has the asterisk (*) and the double-arrow works like the ALT when typing phone numbers. You can press that key once, then double-tap the letter key [ER] or [TY] or [UI] to get that letter to appear.

Give that a try :smile:

archiberry
11-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks SCODonnell! I tried in many ways till it finally worked! The key (no pun intended) is to hold the Asterisk/Double arrow key for about 2 seconds and then double tap the keys.

It would be good if the phone gave some indication of when it went in the letter mode--but at least I can dial with one hand now!

jfinn
11-19-2005, 11:05 AM
How does one dial text, anyway? I mean, each number has a tone associated with it, what does the phone do with a letter (other than pause or wait) when dialing?

jontalotta
11-19-2005, 11:17 AM
How does one dial text, anyway? I mean, each number has a tone associated with it, what does the phone do with a letter (other than pause or wait) when dialing?
When you input a letter, the BB phone apparently uses the number tone associated with the letter on a standard touch tone phone.

jfinn
11-20-2005, 06:07 PM
When you input a letter, the BB phone apparently uses the number tone associated with the letter on a standard touch tone phone.
Oh, cool. Thank you, that's very helpful!