PDA

View Full Version : another newbie

clashboard
05-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Hey guys, I've had my 8900 for a week now and I'm really happy with the phone. I just have a few irks...

the battery cover is really flimsy. actually, the whole body seems to be all plastic. does anyone know if and where I can buy a nice metal battery cover replacement?

also, the voice command button on the side will occasionally give me something like a "too much application memory" message. And when it does work, it's pretty dismal. For example it messes up any contact that starts with the letter "G". I probably won't use this feature much anyway.

I think that's pretty much it. I'm exploring what apps to add, especially a nice (and hopefully free) GPS/NAV app. And a radio app. Any suggestions? I think there is a thread 3rd party apps that I'll go back to. thanks!

berrywhite
05-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Welcome ! Voice command is kind of sketchy on every phone Ive ever had that had that feature. The good NAV app is 49 $. Worth it when you consider ATT charges 10$ per month... forever. Try Pinstack.com for add ons.

duane534
05-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Replace the battery cover with the dark blue one that is in the overseas version. They did that to help it "blend" with the 8320 model. True metal would impede RF reception, the speaker phone, et al.

You should NOT be getting a memory error on the 8900. Ever.

On mine, I've added:
Trapster (matches GPS location against database of police activity)
Slacker Radio
amAze (voice-assisting navigation)
YouMail (third-party voicemail service, better than AT&T paid voicemail)

clashboard
05-22-2009, 04:29 PM
hey berry, which NAV app are you using?

clashboard
05-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Replace the battery cover with the dark blue one that is in the overseas version. They did that to help it "blend" with the 8320 model. True metal would impede RF reception, the speaker phone, et al.

You should NOT be getting a memory error on the 8900. Ever.

On mine, I've added:
Trapster (matches GPS location against database of police activity)
Slacker Radio
amAze (voice-assisting navigation)
YouMail (third-party voicemail service, better than AT&T paid voicemail)

hey duane, does the amAze NAV have on screen guidance as well? also, if I have my BB connected to my car stereo and I'm playing mp3s or streaming radio, will amAze mute the music?