PDA

View Full Version : Bold Failed (Put in Freezer to get a backup)

TJHAWLEY
05-22-2009, 09:41 PM
My AT&T Bold failed after six weeks, and a new one was sent as a warranty exchange. By charging the battery in the new Bold, and then moving it to the old Bold, I was able to get a few signs of life but even these disappeared after several minutes of trying things. It occurred to me that the failed component (whatever it was) might be heat sensitive, and on a hunch I removed the battery and put the Bold in the freezer overnight.

In the morning, I inserted the battery (fully charged by the new Bold) into the old Bold, and to my surprise it booted right up and began downloading email! I quickly connected it to the Desktop Manager and was able to get a good backup before it began failing again as it warmed up. Five minutes later, it failed completely.

The lesson learned is to back up regularly using Desktop Manager, but if you get caught, the above Freezer Fix might get your dead unit working just long enough to pull a backup.

dankarlinski
05-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

The freezer on the lcd isn't the smartest idea IMO

fonejunkie
05-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

The freezer on the lcd isn't the smartest idea IMO

In addition to not being a good thing for the LCD screen, putting your BlackBerry in the freezer can cause condensation, which could trigger the moisture sensors... and if your phone indicated that it got wet (by color change to the moisture sensors), AT&T will not honor the warranty exchange... they could charge you full retail for the replacement BlackBerry Bold.

TJHAWLEY
05-24-2009, 11:41 AM
The BlackBerry I'm putting in the freezer has already failed and will soon be headed back to AT&T, so I'm not overly concerned about the LCD. In any event, my freezer isn't that cold, and despite two freezing cycles (one to back up, one to wipe) my LCD came through just fine.

As for condensation causing a water damage indication, wouldn't this be a risk if you use your BlackBerry in winter? And if you live in the north, a BlackBerry shipped to you in winter could well be exposed to -20F enroute!

ndub33
05-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I think the point here is this: The orginal issue that caused you to warranty exchange in the first place will likely be covered by the maunfacturer warranty agreement. Sticking it the freezer most definitely is not. When a carrier receives a defective device that the manufacturer won't repair, or that must be scrapped, the carrier loses that device as "repairable asset". This is what drives Out of Warranty charges.

Not saying that ths is definitely what will happen in this case, but the risk of it seems to be there.

the-economist
05-24-2009, 04:15 PM
1) NEVER put electronic boards in the freezer. EVER
2) When (1) does not apply look at (1).
3) Look at (1) some more.
4)Repeat 100 times
5) GOTO 1

kgambino
05-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000)

1) NEVER put electronic boards in the freezer. EVER
2) When (1) does not apply look at (1).
3) Look at (1) some more.
4)Repeat 100 times
5) GOTO 1

I like your rules. Lol

fonejunkie
05-24-2009, 10:44 PM
As for condensation causing a water damage indication, wouldn't this be a risk if you use your BlackBerry in winter? And if you live in the north, a BlackBerry shipped to you in winter could well be exposed to -20F enroute!

Possibly, but highly unlikely.... unless you leave your BlackBerry device laying unprotected in the elements in the winter for several hours or more. Typically, your BlackBerry device is in a holster / case / pocket / purse... but when you put it in the freezer to cool down the overheating, is it in a holster / case / pocket / purse?

gmpblack
05-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Possibly, but highly unlikely.... unless you leave your BlackBerry device laying unprotected in the elements in the winter for several hours or more. Typically, your BlackBerry device is in a holster / case / pocket / purse... but when you put it in the freezer to cool down the overheating, is it in a holster / case / pocket / purse?
I get Phones delivered FedEx in the dead of winter all the time, they can sit overnight in the truck and be exposed to sub zero temps at any time the trick would be not to power them on untill they hit room temp. That being said I doubt one time would turn the dye patches and if its going back to att... oh well

TJHAWLEY
05-26-2009, 09:27 AM
"Rules" and the possibility of warranty issues need to be balanced against the convenience or need to recover what's on the failed device.

As for "never" putting electronics in a freezer, you should know that freezing a failed hard drive can sometimes get it working again. Yes, it probably exceeds some environmental spec referred to in the fine print of a warranty.

"Freezing" in the context of this discussion means what can be accomplished in a normal home refrigerator, not exposing to liquid nitrogen or the like.

I do concur that under normal circumstances, it's best avoided.

ndub33
05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
All I am saying is, don't be shocked by any out of warranty fees you may get when you return the defective device.

yeria
05-26-2009, 09:58 AM
My AT&T Bold failed after six weeks, and a new one was sent as a warranty exchange. By charging the battery in the new Bold, and then moving it to the old Bold, I was able to get a few signs of life but even these disappeared after several minutes of trying things. It occurred to me that the failed component (whatever it was) might be heat sensitive, and on a hunch I removed the battery and put the Bold in the freezer overnight.

In the morning, I inserted the battery (fully charged by the new Bold) into the old Bold, and to my surprise it booted right up and began downloading email! I quickly connected it to the Desktop Manager and was able to get a good backup before it began failing again as it warmed up. Five minutes later, it failed completely.

The lesson learned is to back up regularly using Desktop Manager, but if you get caught, the above Freezer Fix might get your dead unit working just long enough to pull a backup.

I don't understand why you've decided to do that. Even if your hunch was true, the device was off while you had it in the fridge, so the low temperature won't make any difference. I mean, blackberries are not like ice packs....it's not like their internal parts start to morph into something else in low temperature. It'll only help silicon chips to break sooner.

Having said that, I don't think your warranty will be voided. Water damage applies and is only visible if your device was dumped into water. Precipitation you get by keeping the device in the fridge overnight won't be enough for them to know it.

jsconyers
05-26-2009, 10:00 AM
All I am saying is, don't be shocked by any out of warranty fees you may get when you return the defective device.

+1. I agree with this completely!

jsconyers
05-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Having said that, I don't think your warranty will be voided. Water damage applies and is only visible if your device was dumped into water. Precipitation you get by keeping the device in the fridge overnight won't be enough for them to know it.

This is not true. If you have your device in the bathroom while you shower, the steam from the shower has been known to cause water damage issues. There have been reports of keeping the device in your pocket while it's raining or even with sweat causing water damage as well.

fonejunkie
05-26-2009, 11:00 AM

A lot of the issue with the moisture sensor is determined by the sensitivity of the sensor. There are a plethora of reports that iPhone users are setting off the moisture sensor by using their iPhones while working out - sweaty hands can cause the sensor to change colors. There are also reports of sensors in extremely humid environs setting off the moisture sensor.

I am not saying that beyond any doubt this would happen, but it must be a consideration. As always, YMMV... just know that it is possible...

ndub33
05-26-2009, 11:59 AM
By way of providing the "big pitcure", water damage isn't the only way to tax a device beyond manufacturer specs. Dropped, chewed on by the dog, or exposed to extreme heat or cold are all beyond what most manufacturers consider normal use.

the-economist
05-26-2009, 03:45 PM
We just need to make perfectly clear that there is NO "freezer fix". Humidity and moisture are LETHAL to circuit components. In ANY form.

Well, not exactly in any form. Pure water is a really really poor conductor. Sadly you don't stand a chance meeting pure water molecules in your day to day activities. You'd probably come against rain,tap water.sweat,river water, sea water, snow, steam, floods, dr pepper or a possible combination of those. All those are PACKED with minerals, alkalies and acidic impurities that would EAT through your board components. The presence of a potential difference ( call me M-S1 battery pack) would just accelerate the process because it acts as a catalyst in the ion separation that would eventually cause corrosion and WILL destroy your board.

Humidity ALONE can cause corrosion. By putting electronics in the fridge you're just asking for it.

There is NO "freezer fix". Keep your electronics out of the fridge. Is it clear for everyone yet?

GT5L
05-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

How about the microwave, can I stick mu BlackBerry™ in the microwave to dry it out, rhetorical question since this conversation is way too serious.

TJHAWLEY
05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
The fact is, putting it in the freezer overnight did allow me to make a good backup of, recover a few critical files from, and then to wipe, a BlackBerry that was totally dead at room temperature.

I'm a little surprised that all the focus here seems to be on scrupulous compliance with the hypertechnical "moisture" provision of AT&T's warranty, which after all is just a device to extract a little extra revenue and promote the sale of "insurance".

JSanders
05-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I thought it was to indemnify themselves from replacing POS devices that people had swam with and dunked in the toilet.

bostonnerd
05-27-2009, 04:11 PM
..so the low temperature won't make any difference. I mean, blackberries are not like ice packs....it's not like their internal parts start to morph into something else in low temperature. It'll only help silicon chips to break sooner.

I was bringing circuit boards back to life with a blast from a Freon can decades ago. Low temperatures can indeed kick start certain failing components by changing various electrical properties. So, yes, at a high level, they do indeed "morph" into something else.

Low temperatures will not break "silicon chips" and can actually result in much faster electrical transmission. There are many supercooled processors in existence.

It is very possible that the OP did indeed bring his BB back to life for a short period. Possible condensation issues are another story but that wasn't his immediate concern.

Low Temperature Physics is a well researched field that has many current applications in electrical systems.

the-economist
05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
The only reason the humidity strips are there is to ensure that the warranty provision does not get abused by hordes of people asking for replacements.

ndub33
05-27-2009, 04:54 PM
The fact is, putting it in the freezer overnight did allow me to make a good backup of, recover a few critical files from, and then to wipe, a BlackBerry that was totally dead at room temperature.

I'm a little surprised that all the focus here seems to be on scrupulous compliance with the hypertechnical "moisture" provision of AT&T's warranty, which after all is just a device to extract a little extra revenue and promote the sale of "insurance".

It's an industry standard, and the conditions are set by the device manufacturers. If you left your Ford in a snowbank all winter, you would void it's warranty as well.