PDA

View Full Version : Used 8700 with no e-mail and no internet??

petrafan
05-23-2009, 09:37 AM
hello. this is my first post here.
i got an used 8700 from my boss, and it has no icon for e-mail or browser on the home screen.
also, under Options, there is no option for configuring e-mail or internet access.
more: under Advanced Options/Browser, it just shows Browser Standard Settings, with no option to change anything, and under Advanced Options/Message Services, it just shows a blank screen.
how can i get e-mail and internet browsing to work on this device? do i have to install anything, or to reset it?
thanks in advance.

MrKyoo
05-23-2009, 09:40 AM
BlackBerry Data Plan?

ndub33
05-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Do you have a BlackBerry data plan from your carrier? This will be required to get e-mail and internet.

petrafan
05-23-2009, 09:44 AM
good point. not sure about that since my boss has just given me the device and i don't know the details about the plan he has contracted.
do the icons for e-mail and internet show on screen ONLY if i have a data plan?
(coming from the Windows Mobile - Samsung and Motorola - and Symbian - Nokia E71 - world, very new to BlackBerry.)

ndub33
05-23-2009, 09:48 AM
I believe you are correct about the icons...check with your boss regarding the service...if you need a data plan, give your carrier a call, they can add it. There will be an additional charge for it on your bill.

stonent
05-23-2009, 02:03 PM
In order to have the special functions of a blackberry (true push mail, etc) you have to use the special data plan.

ohad_129
05-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Wirelessly posted

First hello to the forum
Second you not need data plan to get mails you need the option of gprs
After that you can download opera mini as browser and you can use logic mail or shangmail to get mails.

dc/dc
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Wirelessly posted

First hello to the forum
Second you not need data plan to get mails you need the option of gprs
After that you can download opera mini as browser and you can use logic mail or shangmail to get mails.

You DO need a BlackBerry data plan in order to use the native e-mail function.

WGG
05-23-2009, 09:22 PM
You DO need a BlackBerry data plan in order to use the native e-mail function.

No you don't, I have been trying out Shangmail and it integrates with the native email function of the BB. Have also tried gmail and tigget. The afct that Shangmail allows you to receive and send email through the BB interface is a definite plus. The one downside that I have found so far is the inability to synch the calendar.

Before anybody starts on the usual rant about needing a BIS, the only reason that I have gone down this route is that I have an unlimited data plan and all my calls and texts etc from Tmobile and as my N95 gave up the ghost had to find an alternative. As I had an old 8700 in the house thought I would give it a go.

The one thing to do is get hold of the service books for email and the browser, if your provider will not suppy them they can be found on the internet.

Good luck

ohad_129
05-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Wirelessly posted

Thank you wgg you support me
In. a brief in israel its crazy
To take bis it cost 60 $ so I took gprs bundle its cost me only 12$ and I download opera mini as browser and shangmail as mail server and its great

petrafan
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
i find it kinda weird that, if one doesn't have a data plan contracted with the carrier, the icons and setting menus for e-mail and internet browsing won't even appear on their screen.
okay, all my previous stmarthpones (samsung, moto Q and E71) already had data plans provided by the companies i worked for at the time. so i don't know if windows mobile or symbian wouldn't show the icons and setting menus for those functions if i didn't have a data plan for those accounts.
but it is still weird that it happens on the BlackBerry world.

cattyhouse
05-26-2009, 06:50 AM
try to click b on the home screen ?

Dubdub
05-26-2009, 07:17 AM
I do believe Shangmail uses servers based in China. If that is not an issue or security concern, then have at it. Personally, I prefer a bit more security which RIM provides.