PDA

View Full Version : When will 8700 actually “arrive” in the stores?

kwilkins
11-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Much of what I’ve read says Cingular stores will have the units available for sale on the 21st. If this is the case when will the stores receive the units? I don’t suspect they get Sunday deliveries at the stores. Does this mean they will actually receive the units on Saturday the 19th?

Any thoughts based on previous experience with new product role out on a Monday?

BB Junkie
11-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Was told by Cingular business rep that it wont be available for stores until after Thanksgiving. I hope she was wrong. I must have that device ASAP.

kwilkins
11-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Was told by Cingular business rep that it wont be available for stores until after Thanksgiving. I hope she was wrong. I must have that device ASAP.

Any idea if you'll be able to order it from the website on the 21st?

Boy Genius
11-14-2005, 08:44 PM
I actually was told today by a very high up Cingular source B2B has started shipping/taking orders...anyone have any more info on this?

supermanfan
11-14-2005, 09:27 PM
For what it is worth, it is not on my company's B2B web site yet.

bperkins
11-14-2005, 10:02 PM
I called B2B Friday and they still would not allow me to pre order. They say it is not in their system. Of course this may not pertain to the larger companies out there. Sure hope your right BG, I would like to have mine early next week.

pollster
11-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Good luck at any store for at least a week after 21st / more likely at Cingular stores a week or two after 21st. But if normal / I got it a couple of days before at cingular sales at their 800 number phone sales by phone. Bought last two treos on thrs before following the Monday scheldule release /
Call Cingular this Thrs / It will be aailable 21st by phone sales / that is what store manager claims should happen.

pollster
11-14-2005, 10:16 PM
edited out as corrected

proxx
11-15-2005, 12:01 AM
Good luck at any store for at at a week after 21st / probably more likely at Cingular stores a week or two after 21st. But if normal / I got it a couple of days before at cingular sales at their 800 number phone sales by phone. Bought last two treos on thrs before following Monday scheldule release /
Call Cingular this Thrs / It will be aailable 21st by phone sales / that is what store manager claims should happen.

which phone number? how long does it take for them to ship?

will they renew my plan for 2 years and give for 300 over th ephone?

singlemanriot
11-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Unless your due for an upgrade you will have to pay full price. I had to buy my 7100 this way. Cingular will not work with you on this. Nor should they be expected to I guess. I was 1 day past the return deadline with my last phone, wanted to return and upgrade to the 7100, no dice.

The good news, you can upgade your phone a few months before your contract is actually up. I am due for an upgrade on another line, just in time for the 8700.

Inphektion
11-15-2005, 09:13 AM
We have the order in through our Cingular b2b rep for 19. He let us place the order last week. Though I was called by his supervisor who wanted to make it clear to me that they are not 100% certain to receive these on the 21st. Since I've been pushing them to get these in my hands by the 22nd I guess he wanted to make sure my expectations were realistic.

Bottom line, it seems even cingular b2b isn't confident on a date they will even get these units to ship.

barjohn
11-15-2005, 09:50 AM
I am hearing rumors that it is going to be delayed, possibly until after the court ruling on the NTP case. I hope these rumors are wrong.

BB Junkie
11-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

When will we find out what the court ruling will be?

guinda35
11-15-2005, 09:58 AM
I am hearing rumors that it is going to be delayed, possibly until after the court ruling on the NTP case. I hope these rumors are wrong.
Thanks for pointing out that your information is a rumor John -- a bad one at that, I might point out. I can't see any reason why the NTP case would impact the 8100 rollout. Do you?

barjohn
11-15-2005, 10:39 AM
The primary reason I can see it having an impact is that the carriers may be holding off on accepting orders until they know the outcome. If you were an executive at one of the carriers and the possibility existed that you could be sitting on millions of dollars of inventory that you are enjoined from selling, would you consider that you made a wise decision to accept the merchandise before you knew whether you could sell it? I am hoping the 90 day stay requested by the U.S. Government affects the judge's ruling, but judges can be ornery characters.

ntron1
11-15-2005, 11:51 AM
John,

It is an interesting theory. Maybe they should take a page from the automotive industry and go to pay on scan. Then cingular would order what they want, and only pay when the unit was actually in the hands of the user.

pollster
11-15-2005, 07:44 PM
which phone number? how long does it take for them to ship?

will they renew my plan for 2 years and give for 300 over th ephone?

call 611 on your cingular cell or 800 362 8496
they ship overnight for about $10 more

if contract is very near expiration they will let you extend and get lower price 2 year contract /

if not close - you pay full no contract and on this phone, it is about $549 - maybe able to find cheaper / but I doubt it until 6 mos or so

Jack T. Chance
11-15-2005, 08:39 PM
tired and posted with out reading sentences /So, simply go back to your original post and click the button marked "EDIT" to edit your original post! :smile:

And to that end, here's just a little tip: sentences should be ended with a ".", not a "/"! ;-)

Wavester
11-15-2005, 10:45 PM
I received 8700c today at work through Cingular (obviously). I noticed my attorney had his last week and just kept holding him up past his billable time until he got the firm IT guy up there to chat with me and had their rep take care of me, so Cingular is going to ship and has started for some coprorate customers.

brmcguire
11-16-2005, 12:03 PM
I was told yesterday by my local Cingular store that they were told they would be getting the 8700c on Friday (Nov. 18th). I had previously asked them to hold aside one when they arrive, so he called me to let me know what he was told. Hopefully its true.

CowboyChris
11-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Does it seem to anyone else like a poor business practice to invite a group of people to a new product launch-offering, showcase the product and drum up a bunch of hype, promise to contact the attendees and provide them with a free device "soon" (Merriam Webster- 1b: before long: without undue time lapse // 2: in a prompt manner: SPEEDILY) and then go into complete radio silence? Even if you are forced to delay your product offering for some indeterminate time period, you should, at the very least, keep your seemingly best customers better informed. It sets a poor tone for future business relations by demonstrating a complete lack of minimal communication; it's a far cry from "Mak[ing] Business Run Better."

mriff
11-16-2005, 12:24 PM
I just called my local cingular store. It went something like this:

me: Can you tell me when you might be getting the new Blackberry 8700c?
her: Hold on
long pause
her: Should be by the end of the month.
me: Ok thanks. Heard much about the new unit?
her: No not much at all.
me: Ok, I'll check back a little later.

Not encouraging.

(edit: just called the other store in town, and the answer was 'I honestly have no idea')

besadmin23
11-16-2005, 01:23 PM
amen cowboychris!!!!!!! It's BS if you ask me. I posted in another forum, I am on a national seeding list with Cingular and was "supposed" to get it over 2 weeks ago. Talked with our Cingular Sales rep yesterday and she said she doesn't even have them yet.

BBUser7100t
11-16-2005, 02:09 PM
I left Cingular several years ago because of poor customer service, even at the B2B level. Its one thing when communication was nonexistent between Cingular and its corporate users, but another thing when Cingular wasn't communicating with its own salespeople and mouthpieces.

I'm disappointed to see that nothing has changed since then.

b00st3d
11-16-2005, 02:46 PM
just got off the phone with a cingular retail store manager...they had a meeting this morning about the 8700 with some of the area retail managers...they wont be getting them in the stores till the first week of december due to a software change...all the ones that were ready for shipment to the stores are being updated...this is what will cause the delay.

brmcguire
11-16-2005, 02:59 PM
I just called my local cingular store. It went something like this:

me: Can you tell me when you might be getting the new Blackberry 8700c?
her: Hold on
long pause
her: Should be by the end of the month.
me: Ok thanks. Heard much about the new unit?
her: No not much at all.
me: Ok, I'll check back a little later.

Not encouraging.

(edit: just called the other store in town, and the answer was 'I honestly have no idea')
haha. I fortunately knew the guy that called me about when they are planning to get the device. I had the same results when I cold called Cingular in general.

guinda35
11-16-2005, 05:31 PM
The primary reason I can see it having an impact is that the carriers may be holding off on accepting orders until they know the outcome. If you were an executive at one of the carriers and the possibility existed that you could be sitting on millions of dollars of inventory that you are enjoined from selling, would you consider that you made a wise decision to accept the merchandise before you knew whether you could sell it? I am hoping the 90 day stay requested by the U.S. Government affects the judge's ruling, but judges can be ornery characters.
If I was an executive at a carrier, and was concerned by a possible injunction, I would protect myself by the simple expediency of having a guarantee from RIM that it would credit me for any of its inventory that I could not sell because of the injunction.

All parties have known of this possibility for months now. Yet RIM and Cingular have had announcements of the 8700 rollout, and even had parties to drum up support. No one seems to be too concerned with the injunction holding up the 8700.

greggebhardt
11-16-2005, 06:38 PM
My corp. rep called me today and said that 21st is the magic day and one will be overnighted to me on the 21st. Others can call and "some" are taking names and number and will be called on the 21st. No preorders, this is the best they can do.

bperkins
11-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Others can call and "some" are taking names and number and will be called on the 21st.

I was one of those I received an email today from my rep and he said that I was his first to call as soon as he could sell it. Be nice if that is Monday.

pollster
11-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Does it seem to anyone else like a poor business practice to invite a group of people to a new product launch-offering, showcase the product and drum up a bunch of hype, promise to contact the attendees and provide them with a free device "soon" (Merriam Webster- 1b: before long: without undue time lapse // 2: in a prompt manner: SPEEDILY) and then go into complete radio silence? Even if you are forced to delay your product offering for some indeterminate time period, you should, at the very least, keep your seemingly best customers better informed. It sets a poor tone for future business relations by demonstrating a complete lack of minimal communication; it's a far cry from "Mak[ing] Business Run Better."

Open your Webster Dictionary and look up the word inept - there you will find a picture of the Cingular Corporate logo. Cowboy Chris, you are so right!

mmcpher
11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=CowboyChris]Does it seem to anyone else like a poor business practice to invite a group of people to a new product launch-offering, showcase the product and drum up a bunch of hype, promise to contact the attendees and provide them with a free device "soon"> . . . .

I went to the launch, too, and haven't been contacted either, left to trawl in the rumors. . . I enjoyed the launch, despite beign disappointed they didn't have the units on that day and came back singing its praises and begun the process of arranging for someone else in our organization to get and activate my old BB's. I would think the idea behind the launch and the promise of a unit is you'd talk it up and show it off and everyone would want one. I was down at a League of Municiplaites event in Atlantic City, New Jersey yesterday, and it was packed with lawyers and local and state workers, many of whom had BB's. It would have been a perfect venue to promote (show-off) my new 8700C! I guess I could have walked around with a print-out of one, or tried to get a hold of The Boy Genius! Obviously, something has caused the roll-out date to slip, which may be understandable, but how about some interim word from Cingular, to the effect that 11/21/5 is the new date, or that no date has been set or some clarification. Nothing but irritation. Turning a feather in Cingular's cap into a blackeye. I'd rather have flies in my eyes or crabapples in my cheeks. Or chestnuts.

MozMan68
11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
My corp. rep called me today and said that 21st is the magic day and one will be overnighted to me on the 21st. Others can call and "some" are taking names and number and will be called on the 21st. No preorders, this is the best they can do.

I was told the same thing at my company...I'm even making them overnight it to me as I will be on vacation.