View Full Version : Calendar Entries On Device Being Deleted

05-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I have a BB 8830 running OS 4.5 with DM 4.7. My laptop is a Vista machine (with all the latest patches).
I upgraded to these versions recently and, after a few glitches, everything was running normal when synching with Outlook 2007.
I have now run into a problem that I used to have with OS 4.2. Here are the symptoms:
- When I go to synch, the CALENDAR entries on the BB device have decreased significantly, from approximately 2500 to around 600 (this used to happen on OS 4.2). When I had 4.2, all I needed to do was tell it to re-synch and it reloaded all the device entries (from Outlook). It was not a solution but at least it was a workaround.
- I tried this same approach (re-synching under OS 4.5) and after about a minute or so, BB DM stopped working and I got an error message saying "Blackberry Desktop Manager has Stopped Working" (which I got the first time I upgraded to OS 4.5 and DM 4.7).
- I deleted all the calendar entries using the DM Backup and Restore/Advanced feature.
- I resynched and the device was again re-loaded with all the entries from Outlook.

Here are my questions:
1) Why do I keep loosing entries on my BB device? I DO have it set to retain FOREVER so that is not the problem.
2) Why does it give me the "Blackberry Desktop Manager has Stopped Working" error message when I tell it to re-synch?

Every day that goes by, I get closer and closer to throwing this 8830 WE out the window.

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

05-26-2009, 04:34 PM
I had similar issues, but wasn't losing any entries. The unknown errors of DM are frustrating at best.

I edited all of my events, removing any all-day events and changing them to 8-8:30 am appointments. I also removed any categories, and any links to other items. I think I messed around with a few other settings that I thought Outlook and DM might choke on, can't remember everything.

I think part of my problem was that I had forwarded several appointments from one Exchange account to another, and therefore there were weird references/senders/owners in and of various appointments.

I only had about 1400 appts to deal with - sounds like you might be in for an afternoon of hacking about in Outlook to get it all sorted.

I've changed my appt entry techniques in order to maintain painless syncs and to avoid this kind of crap in the future.


05-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Options -> Status what your file free?

05-28-2009, 12:49 PM
To SteveO86: My file free will vary. When I started losing entries I noticed the File Free number was going down. It would start around 4.7MB and go all the way down to less than 400K. I have deleted several apps (Facebook, a couple of games, Yahoo Go) and it seems to have slowed the loss of File Free memory...but only slowed it down. It's still showing File Free going down (along with losing calendar entries on the device). I may delete two more apps: a Wall Street Journal mobile edition and a CNN mobile edition (I check on news about 3 times a day on those services), Thanks for your response.

05-28-2009, 05:52 PM
See if you can get your free memory up to 10-12 MB. Do it temporarily, even, just to test and see if that's the problem.

05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
to aiharkness: Thanks. I'll try that as well.

05-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Try this.