PDA

View Full Version : Use blackberry as an mp3 remote control

fsa3
11-14-2005, 10:10 PM
My friend pointed me to some neat software that lets you use your blackberry to control your mp3's ... anyone ever tried this?

http://www.coolsoftwaregadgets.com/SoftwareSite/OurSoftware.jsp?PageName=CellMP3.jsp

thriller
11-14-2005, 10:14 PM
this is very interesting as i am not sure that it will work, but mess up the phone instead. Have you tried it and got it working. And where does it mention the blackberry, i am staying away from this, and use it for it purpose "E-MAIL"

vdubguy2k
11-15-2005, 01:15 PM
If I am reading this correctly it won't mess up your phone at all. All this is doing is setting up a "webserver" on your computer that points to your .mp3 collection. By using your blackberry browser you navigate to: "http://localhost:8080/mp3/HomeMP3.jsp"

when that loads up on your browswer you will see the mp3 files you put in the directory and then you can control the songs thru the browser.

Looks kinda cool....I'm going to give it a try in a few days when I have some time!

Mark Rejhon
11-15-2005, 02:16 PM
this is very interesting as i am not sure that it will work, but mess up the phone instead. Have you tried it and got it working. And where does it mention the blackberry, i am staying away from this, and use it for it purpose "E-MAIL"It doesn't mess up the unit -- it doesn't even modify the device at all.

I know several people use BlackBerries as remote controls now -- it works -- by using BlackBerry Browser on a webpage that controls their home theater.

There are web-based remote controls now that can be controlled over the Internet -- which works on almost any web browser, including BlackBerry Browser. The web server at home does the hard work such as operating the computer or transmitting an infrared signal (through an IR device connected to computer) that controls things in the same room as the computer. Basically a it's just a web server with an IR transmitter....

In today's Internet age, it is no longer necessary to have an infrared transmitter on the same device as the remote control. They can be separate nowadays. High end home theater remotes often use radio or TCP/IP or WiFi to transmit to a central unit that does the IR transmitting.

All you do is point BlackBerry Browser at the web-based remote control located in your home, and all you do is click on links inside a webpage to turn things on/off or start playing things. No software needed. Just point a web browser. Easy as that. Pretty innovative things has already been accomplished with very simple stuff like these.