PDA

View Full Version : OS: 8830 4.5.0.253/4.5.0.160 (Multilanguage)(ESN Devices)

Raptor464
05-28-2009, 10:25 AM
This will load on ANY carrier's 8830 by following the instructions below.
This is only for the 8830 model (ESN based model)
From Telus Mobility

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.253 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.253
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.160
* Software Platform: 3.4.0.41
* File name: 8830AMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel253_PL3.4.0.41_A4.5.0.160_Telus_Mobility.exe
* File size: 82.57MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=02A32AD2669E6FE298E607FE7CC0E1A0

Instructions for installing on ANY carrier's 8830:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

Previous OS here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/183344-latest-os-8830-4-5-0-205-4-5-0-138-esn-devices.html

How to determine if you have an ESN or MEID based device.
From the main menu, select Options, then select Status.
ESN devices - On the Status screen you will see ESN on the display
MEID devices On the Status screen you will see MEID on the display.
NOTE You cannot install ESN-based software on a MEID device, nor can you install MEID-based software on an ESN device. They are NOT interchangeable.

GvdM
05-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Wirelessly posted

Works flawlessly on my Verizon 8830WE. Actually gave me better memory handling over the .138 software.

Yacco
05-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Doing it now ;) For my sprint phone
Lee

Yacco
05-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Wirelessly posted

Works flawlessly on my Verizon 8830WE. Actually gave me better memory handling over the .138 software.

Hi,
That was my biggest problem. I went to use voice dialing and it would not work. I turned here and to a Sprint user forum and heard about the "Memory leaks" I looked at my available memory and alas it was at "0". I had to reboot everyday or two.
Cross your fingers!!
Lee8-)

SteveO86
05-31-2009, 05:08 PM
And I finally got around to loading 4.5.0.138 :(

mzman
06-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Is anyone getting a high pitched chirp during calls? It happens every few minutes during a phone call, after loading this OS.

samwlee
06-03-2009, 01:02 PM
So far, it's been a solid build. I've been having major memory leaks with .138 and below, rebooting 2-3x a day. With .160, I've rebooted maybe twice in 4+ days, and the memory fluctuates btwn 500K to 4MB of free space.

clevebb
06-03-2009, 01:12 PM
the newer releases dont include as many languages as in the past

RobM
06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
So is the memory leak issue the only thing this build address or is there something else

Statman
06-04-2009, 12:19 PM
So is the memory leak issue the only thing this build address or is there something else

You get call timer back...seems pretty stable.

Kris Wilson
06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Just loaded took maybe 40min. I will track over the weekend and update my findings.

TheMiz
06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Since I upgraded, I have noticed my 8830 acts up when I plug it into the
car charger.

Sometimes the red light stays on
Sometimes it locks up
Sometimes it will appear to be locked up with the red light on it will reboot

Anyone else have this happening ?

Kris Wilson
06-05-2009, 10:31 AM
just had my first lock up with .160, was on a call, ended the call I noticed the call did not end, got a im at the same time, had "hour glass" for 3 minutes. did a battery pull.... So I'll see what happens now.

urbanity.x
06-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Is anyone getting a high pitched chirp during calls? It happens every few minutes during a phone call, after loading this OS.

Yes. Any thoughts?

PHLwok
06-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately same here. Doubt we can do much to remediate it ourselves.

Dawg
06-06-2009, 04:48 AM
car charger.

Sometimes it locks up

been running a week now and havent noticed anything like this

10ACTony
06-06-2009, 10:22 AM

Nope - nothing like that here.

FredU
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I am loading this now to my 8830WE.

Thanks!

Fred

BlueSkyz
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I am getting the chirp on nearly every other call. Additionally I noticed today that my ringer profiles changed themselves. Wondering if this release is more trouble than its worth!

Kris Wilson
06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I am getting the chirp on nearly every other call. Additionally I noticed today that my ringer profiles changed themselves. Wondering if this release is more trouble than its worth!

I have not seen this problem at all. Maybe your OS load was bad?:? And I've been running for a week now.

Ivanhead
06-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Just got a new altell 8830 with 4.2 on it. Sounds like this upgrade is STILL iffy, could someone tell me why I should upgrade and take the risk of the problems listed here?
Also, someone said their desktop manager told them of an update, mine doesn't do that. When I click check for updates I only get desktop manager updates.

Kris Wilson
06-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Just got a new altell 8830 with 4.2 on it. Sounds like this upgrade is STILL iffy, could someone tell me why I should upgrade and take the risk of the problems listed here?
Also, someone said their desktop manager told them of an update, mine doesn't do that. When I click check for updates I only get desktop manager updates.

First Welcome to BBF!!
Well I've been using 4.5.0.160 for over 2 weeks now. I don't get the "chirping". In my option moving off 4.2 and onto 4.5 is well worth it.
Support of HTML emails, better memory, and supporting bigger micro-SD cards was my main reason for the upgrade. I think some of us that are having OS issues may have got a bad OS download or the OS did not load on the 8830 as a clean install. I know when I had loaded earlier 4.5 os's on my 8830 without removing the old I had more issues. Going from 4.2 straight to 4.5.0.160 I think you'd be fine. The reason your DM does not see an upgrade is 4.5.0.160 has not been approved for Alltel/Verizon. Read the first post that talks your thru the download and edits you MUST do on your PC and BB before you load a new OS. Feel free to ping me. Good Luck!

Triforce66
06-11-2009, 09:35 AM
car charger.

Sometimes it locks up

I have this issue with the .138 update (offical one from VZW).. you need to unplug the power cable, it boots, then plug it back in.. else it will hang with red light.. annoying..

Ivanhead
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Well, I called Alltel about another matter, like how to delete programs that don't show up in the applications folder, like facebook, they had no clue, any ideas? They suggested desktop manager, which I guess will work.
They said to go to Alltel site and download 4.5.025, so I did, but it installed 4.5.138, which is working fine. Wonder why the it downloads the wrong program? Why won't alltel approve the newer version?

mat123
06-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Since this is a non-verizon release, does it "enable" gps on verizon phones?

Dawg
06-11-2009, 05:50 PM

no(n)

naraiz
06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I have been running 4.5.0.135 since its release and have had no problems with the OS at all. The media player is awesome, I use a larger microSD card, and documents to go is great (I purchased the professional edition too). Facebook 1.6 is fast and fluid on my device, the browser functions (like history and GO TO) are more functional. The only downside I've experienced are the limitations of the hardware. When I install Viigo or the Blackberry Application Store on top of everything else I have there is lag. The lag was bad enough I decided to uninstall both of these applications on my device. I need the functionality of documents to go more than those applications. As I have mentioned in previous posts I have been using this same device for two years straight this July. It is a reliable and solidly built device. The problem is the technology is getting a bit long in the tooth for me now. Since I'm with Sprint I don't have other Blackberry options that are appealing for me to move to another device. Having said that, my contract expires in July and I am making the move to AT&T so I can get my hands on the other Blackberry options available there.

rdrum
06-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Getting ready to start the upgrade to .160 now. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly and I don't end up with the chirping issue that has been reported here...

gschoelles
06-13-2009, 07:56 AM

I've had GPS enabled on my Verizon 8830 since my first install of 4.5. It lags, but it works.

SteveO86
06-13-2009, 11:29 AM
GPS will work with BBMaps but nothing else. On VZW

MrSmile
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM
My fone don't work with CDMA in this Rom :(

rroettger
06-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm using sprint (4.5.0.135), have upgraded approx. 400 devices, and have about 15 users experiencing the lockup issue. Of course, mine is not affected but my CEO is. Users report that the screen goes blank, the LED turns red and stays solid. The device does not recover without pulling the battery. I've tried security wipes, erasing/reloading the O/S, & even swapping the 8830 with a brand new one running the 4.5 software and the issue persists. I'm on my second case with RIM, but they continue to state that they have not received reports of this issue. If you have a t-support agreement, pls open a ticket with RIM to start generating some attention.

2kaccordcoupe
06-21-2009, 01:01 AM
I have some issues with this OS. I did a clean wipe prior to loading. No other apps are on my device except for the ones included in the build.

- My device will get stuck on 1x or 1xevdo mode and not fully connect until I pull the battery.
- Data connection drops at random, the browser will not work, no emails, bb messenger being delivered the handset. Worst part about this is you don't know when it happens unless you constantly check your handheld.
- Ringer will stop ringing at random. No matter what profile you use the audio and vibrate will just stop working. Another lovely issue that you have to notice or you will go the whole day / night and not realized that you missed numerous calls.

jbresle
06-22-2009, 02:29 PM

yes I also get the chirp during calls. I haven't found any reason but I know it is new since upgrading to .160.

SteveO86
06-22-2009, 07:00 PM
The fix is to use an older CDMA file, I find the CDMA file from .77 works well.

bpdunsta
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Which files from the Java folder need to be removed to get rid of these red icons:

Customer Center Online
Customer Manager
MyMonternet
Service Hotline
Settings
XinJi Service Guide

bpdunsta
06-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Which files from the Java folder need to be removed to get rid of these red icons:

Customer Center Online
Customer Manager
MyMonternet
Service Hotline
Settings
XinJi Service Guide

Nevermind....I missed net_rim_cm_customerservice.cod the first time.

mat123
06-25-2009, 06:43 PM

I get the chirp during the calls as well.

Also, video playback has an issue. The bottom 5% - 10% of the video is not viewable. There is a blur that goes across the bottom of the screen. The top 90% of the video can be seen though.

(I tested this on a video that was perfect before the upgrade)

SteveO86
06-26-2009, 07:49 PM
As far as the chirping you can replace the CDMA file/folder with one from an older version and re-run the AppLoader.

I don't notice the blurryness on videos however..

blackjack225
07-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I have been running 4.5.0.135 since its release and have had no problems with the OS at all. The media player is awesome, I use a larger microSD card, and documents to go is great (I purchased the professional edition too). Facebook 1.6 is fast and fluid on my device, the browser functions (like history and GO TO) are more functional. The only downside I've experienced are the limitations of the hardware. When I install Viigo or the Blackberry Application Store on top of everything else I have there is lag. The lag was bad enough I decided to uninstall both of these applications on my device. I need the functionality of documents to go more than those applications. As I have mentioned in previous posts I have been using this same device for two years straight this July. It is a reliable and solidly built device. The problem is the technology is getting a bit long in the tooth for me now. Since I'm with Sprint I don't have other Blackberry options that are appealing for me to move to another device. Having said that, my contract expires in July and I am making the move to AT&T so I can get my hands on the other Blackberry options available there.

Naraiz,
I'm in the same boat as you w/ the 8830...been solid, long in the tooth technologywise...although I'm going to sit tight until the BB Tour is released by Sprint...this appears to be the best of all worlds in one BB....

Patience is a virtue...not one shared by geeks! :smile:

TheMiz
07-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Looks like I may not be as lucky as you all.

I have been losing my audio , no alerts to emails/text/incoming calls unless I do the battery pull.

Also lose my turn by turn alerts with my TeleNav GPS after about 6 days of trouble shooting with TeleNav it appears the problem maybe with 4.5.0.160

SteveO86
07-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Weird I've never encountered any of those.. Maybe use JL_CMDer and wipe it completely to re-install 4.5.0.160.

Very weird indeed.

TheMiz
07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Looks like I may not be as lucky as you all.

I have been losing my audio , no alerts to emails/text/incoming calls unless I do the battery pull.

Also lose my turn by turn alerts with my TeleNav GPS after about 6 days of trouble shooting with TeleNav it appears the problem maybe with 4.5.0.160

I am now being told that my problem is indeed 4.5.0.160
I am not sure if TeleNav Enginnering is working to correct it or not.
They suggest I de-grade my OS back down one level. Not sure how to do that.

FredU
07-02-2009, 09:08 AM
So far so good with this update. I have had no issues with the phone since the upgrade.

Thank you!

mat123
07-04-2009, 09:45 PM
As far as the chirping you can replace the CDMA file/folder with one from an older version and re-run the AppLoader.

Replacing the CDMA folder and reloading worked!

As far as the video blur, this looks like a non issue... The two files I checked it on both have the blur on my laptop, so its not a device issue after all!

Thanks!!

drummer
07-06-2009, 08:11 PM
The only issue I have experienced is that while on a call over 7 min., the phone gets really hot.

Has anyone experienced this?

SteveO86
07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Never had that before.

dimsum
07-22-2009, 11:50 PM
I updated the other day.. on my 8830, and everything is MINT.. no problems what so ever, the new L theme is great, and the media center looks great too, ALSO the mic recorder is perfect for making self notes or recording lectures!

I also noted that the problem i was having with making calls has fixed itself ! and the phone works ALOT smoother and quicker !

amazing upgrade from version 4.2 imo ..

FYI : i did the upgrade through DTM, not from the link above, dont know if that makes a difference or not ..

thholr
07-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Have a really bad memory leak that seems to pop up whenever I listen to music. It causes blackberry to run out of memory and hangs at the hour glass for about 15 minutes. painful. OTherwise it is all good.

SteveMRose
08-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Replacing the CDMA folder and reloading worked!

I was wondering if just moving the older CDMA .sfi file into the CDMA folder and then starting apploader would replace the existing .sfi file on the BB? Anything else I would need to do?

Also, since updating to .160, my VZW 8830WE randomly loses contact with our BES server and no emails get delivered until I reboot (or do a battery pull). I have wiped it twice with JL-CMDR and reloaded (using John Clarks' DIY to maximize memory) and it still does this. Anyone have any clue about what causes this random loss of connectivity to email? Web still works fine, just email is affected.

Thanks
steve rose

SteveO86
08-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I was wondering if just moving the older CDMA .sfi file into the CDMA folder and then starting apploader would replace the existing .sfi file on the BB? Anything else I would need to do?

That should work as well.

Also, since updating to .160, my VZW 8830WE randomly loses contact with our BES server and no emails get delivered until I reboot (or do a battery pull). I have wiped it twice with JL-CMDR and reloaded (using John Clarks' DIY to maximize memory) and it still does this. Anyone have any clue about what causes this random loss of connectivity to email? Web still works fine, just email is affected.

Do you lose your wireless signal at all? May want to do a *228 and update the roaming on your phone.

SteveMRose
08-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Do you lose your wireless signal at all? May want to do a *228 and update the roaming on your phone.

Steve- no, the signal is fine and i can browse the web on the BB just fine- it is just the BES email delivery that stops. Once I turn off then on the radio, or do a reset (alt-rt shift-Del) or battery pull, all email comes flooding in.

Thanks
steve

cyclopsnight
08-19-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm Newbie,

I am using 8830 WE and never upgrade since first time.
Platform : 3.0.0.81
App Version : V.4.2.2.196 (353)

Is it safe for me to upgrade to 4.5.0.160 ?

Thanks for your help.

SteveO86
08-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Steve- no, the signal is fine and i can browse the web on the BB just fine- it is just the BES email delivery that stops. Once I turn off then on the radio, or do a reset (alt-rt shift-Del) or battery pull, all email comes flooding in.

Thanks
steve

I have seen this on my BlackBerry very rarely, so this maybe a bug within the OS. I always thought this was from my horrible signal in my office but I could be wrong.

I'm Newbie,

I am using 8830 WE and never upgrade since first time.
Platform : 3.0.0.81
App Version : V.4.2.2.196 (353)

Is it safe for me to upgrade to 4.5.0.160 ?

Thanks for your help.

As long as you follow the instructions in this thread and delete the Vendor.xml file so you can load you will be fine.

If the OS is not from your carrier you may want to downgrade the OS if you ever have to call cust service, but half the time they never ask you the OS version anyway.

bmw1986
08-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Since I have added .160, I do not have any ringers when I get a BBM in the Normal Mode and when the phone is in the Loud Mode, the BBM ringer does not ring to the selected ringer. Does this have anything to do with it? Any idea on how to fix this?

sksjunwaar
09-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi, can you pls help me out. I have a 8830 and had the gsm slot unlocked, however with this unlocking the cdma network is out i.e is to say the handset is supposed to track cdma network where as now i am not getting any bars at all.

djm2
09-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Go to Manage Connections->Mobile Network Options and change the Network Mode to 1XEV

masterne0
09-13-2009, 08:13 PM

How do you replace the CDMA exactly? Never done any real modifications to a blackberry before. Can't even find where the CDMA folder is located on my computer.