PDA

View Full Version : Can my Company snoop?

BBGirlHelp
05-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I use yahoo, hotmail and google talk instant messengers on my company blackberry. Can the company a. archive/record these chats and b. actually view the content of them? What about Blackberry Messenger? My company uses BES.

I would like to understand what type of technology these messengers are (is it SMS, MMS, or PIN); what part of the monthly bill it eats (Cell/Text or Data); and how a Company can actually view these chats if I am using Google Talk (for example) which uses my gmail address and another's gmail address, and I erase the conversation window when finished.

Or can they only tell I am using Google Talk, but cannot see the convo nor the recipient.

Thank you for your help!

kirrinjones
05-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Wirelessly posted

Wow, lots of security concerns there. Well from what I can tell you with my limited knowledge, the only thing I'm sure they can see if your company e-mail info.

They cannot see any of your personal e-mail information coming from your personal accounts. As for the IM clients, I don't think they can see those either.

I manage a BES server and so far I have not come across any options that would allow me to monitor a device in that way. However, there are far more experienced BES admins here who can say for certain. But as far as I know you're pretty much safe from their snooping.

As to the type of messages, I would say that IM is all data.

NJBlackBerry
05-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Others here beg to differ with you.

kirrinjones
05-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Wirelessly posted

I would like to learn, that's why I said with my limited knowledge and am now waiting for edification. I love to learn :).

daphne
05-30-2009, 08:00 PM
See this thread.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/175616-bes-what-stored-logged.html

Moving to BlackBerry General Discussion

Dubdub
05-30-2009, 08:21 PM
IMHO, if you are that concerned about it, assume they can. My advice has always been if you need access to personal info, mail, chats, contacts, calendar, or whatever, then get your own personal device. The company own the BB and pays the bills so it is well within their rights to "snoop" as you call it.

BBGirlHelp
05-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks all - according to my trusted sources in my IT depart, they don't currently monitor it. If anything, they can see what sites I am viewing, but not the actual content of personal emails on Hotmail, for example, or the content of chats. I think there is probably software you can purchase to do this - but not sure that is an efficient use of anyone's time.

Anyway, thanks for your help....to be continued.

takeshi
06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Ours doesn't but I still keep my personal and business stuff separate. No telling when or if they might change their minds down the road.

CanuckBB
06-01-2009, 11:02 AM
PIN, SMS, MMS messages can all be logged.

Standard advice, if you would not say it or do it in front of your boss, don't do it on your company device.

Dubdub
06-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Standard advice, if you would not say it or do it in front of your boss, don't do it on your company device.

Great advice!