krad
11-16-2005, 09:51 AM
(n)

krad
11-16-2005, 09:52 AM
(n)

krad
11-16-2005, 09:55 AM
My Favorite part is the nice sticker on the back that says.

"Property of Research In Motion

all rights reserved
evaluation unit
not for sale or lease"

krad
11-16-2005, 10:17 AM
there are animated gifs when you send an mms. There is a birthday cake with shining candles.

trying to figure out a way to get the wallpapers off the phone. anyone have any ideas? the clouds one is nice.

krad
11-16-2005, 10:19 AM
i cannot change the lock screen wallpaper on the 8700c.

KonTiki
11-16-2005, 10:42 AM
. . .
trying to figure out a way to get the wallpapers off the phone. anyone have any ideas? the clouds one is nice.

I would e-mail myself a picture and save it then go to the pictures, and select it as either the wallpaper or the standy screen as you want or need. BTW you can also delete from the pictures, select the one you want to delete, press the scroll wheel and choose delete.

krad
11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I would e-mail myself a picture and save it then go to the pictures, and select it as either the wallpaper or the standy screen as you want or need. BTW you can also delete from the pictures, select the one you want to delete, press the scroll wheel and choose delete.

Seriously... Do you read? this is like the fifth thread where you totally do not answer a question.

I want to get the wallpapers that come standard off the phone onto my pc so i can share them with you guys. I know how to add and delete wallpapers.

btw, you cannot change the standby screen wallpaper... check out my post above.

krad
11-16-2005, 10:58 AM
i have tried mms the wallpapers but it will not give me the option to go to the wallpaper section.

Quantum
11-16-2005, 11:43 AM
What are your impressions with the overall quality of the unit and the scroll wheel in particular?

Previous posters have noted that the scroll wheel feels flimsy. Hopefully, that is just an issue pertaining to "sample run" production and not full production units.

Additionally, how about the sturdiness of the overall unit. The brushed aluminum might be nice, but not if it looks like it will start peeling away the way some pieces have a tendency to do.

Thanks for the thoughts.

KonTiki
11-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Thats fine krad, I can read just fine and I do try to help, however the problem here is that you are a smart @<hidden>$$ that cant properly word his question:"Originally Posted by krad
. . .
trying to figure out a way to get the wallpapers off the phone. anyone have any ideas? the clouds one is nice."

Now if what you meant was to say how can I retrieve the wallpaper for posting here to share, it would have been much clearer.

Do not worry I will not answer any more of your questions being that I never seem to answer them properly as of now I have added you to the ignore list so I wont see any more of them to answer. Go back to your new toy and play.

blkberryboy
11-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Im really intrested to know how much the phone part has improved. I was happy with the 7290 except fro the phone part. It was adequate but never really awsome.

dtmfjunkie
11-16-2005, 12:44 PM
I have been asked to review the 8700c blackberry. It is coming to me today via ups. I will be reviewing the device for a technology magazine.

I plan on testing the device with everything. That includes trying to get a bluetooth link with my bluetooth gps, so on and so forth.

Is there any questions people have about the device that they would like answered in a review or in this thread?

One word...jealous.

I've hit up my sales rep at Rogers...there's tons of people at Rogers who are walking around with them..

jontalotta
11-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Im really intrested to know how much the phone part has improved. I was happy with the 7290 except fro the phone part. It was adequate but never really awsome.
Ditto, from a current 7100g user. Would like to know how well both regular phone and speakerphone work in terms of clarity, loudness, and noise cancelation.

JT

besadmin23
11-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Krad, I would say you were a little tough on KonTiki as I kind of wondered the same thing he did, but I would also say: KonTiki, please come back, Krad was obviously a little light-headed by the fact that he has one and we don't. ;-) Can't we just all get along. Seriously, both of your comments make this forum a better place. Come on back KonTiki!!!!!

test
11-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Have you tried to pair with an auto's system yet? get the address book?

Have you tried to use it as a modem yet? if you can, i saw people assuming that this wouldn't be available.

krad
11-16-2005, 02:32 PM
What are your impressions with the overall quality of the unit and the scroll wheel in particular?

Previous posters have noted that the scroll wheel feels flimsy. Hopefully, that is just an issue pertaining to "sample run" production and not full production units.

Additionally, how about the sturdiness of the overall unit. The brushed aluminum might be nice, but not if it looks like it will start peeling away the way some pieces have a tendency to do.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Hands down, this is the best constructed blackberry i have ever seen. It makes my 7100t feel and look like a pos.

The jog wheel is very slightly less stiff as my 7100t.

The keys are the best i have seen. However they are so close togiether i find myself sometimes hitting the wrong one.

the biggest key problem and maybe it is with the one i have,

the alt key is right next to the 7 key. If you want to type a number you have to hit the alt key and the number, they are very very close togiether and this is hard to type.

What is weird is that on the bottom left i have a NUM key with an arrow pointing up, but this is actually shift key... I also have the caps key on the right which I have not used yet.

More on the keys-

You can make any number key on the device a speed dial key. Very nice!

What kills me though, is that the dial pad buttons are very hard to type when you want to dial a number. Dialing a number on this device then the 7100t is torture. it is much easier to type a phone number on the 7100.

---Screen--

It is great, a higher resoltuion.

However, it is retarded. I have brightness set to 100%, when i pick up the device and type and use it, it is bright but after 10 seconds it dims halfway, while i am typing. Then if i hit the power button, it brightens up twice as much as 100%.

So there is three brightness settings.
1. Dark
2. Normal
3. Super Bright - Flashlight bright

while this is all going on, the device changes brightness alot, i just remembered it is suppose to do that on its own. it is quite annoying.

The color of the device is a a greyish, blueish, purpishly color. It by no means is metal in anyway. It is plastic. Not only that, but the ear part of the phone has three dot holes. that circle around the holes is just part of the paper of the cingular graphic. that would be the cheapest looking part of the phone.

Speakerphone and Bluetooth

I can confirm that there are no bluetooth issues with this phone, it is 100% loud and super clear. I hear no buzzing in my jabra bt800.

The speakerphone is also better then the 7100.

If the keys were a little more spaced out, this would be a perfect blackberry in my mind, (wish it had wifi).

Edge is so freaking fast!

If i do not get to keep this one, i will be going over to cingular and buying it with a contract, i don't think i can go back to my 7100.

krad
11-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Have you tried to pair with an auto's system yet? get the address book?

Have you tried to use it as a modem yet? if you can, i saw people assuming that this wouldn't be available.

tonight! lol...

krad
11-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Krad, I would say you were a little tough on KonTiki as I kind of wondered the same thing he did, but I would also say: KonTiki, please come back, Krad was obviously a little light-headed by the fact that he has one and we don't. ;-) Can't we just all get along. Seriously, both of your comments make this forum a better place. Come on back KonTiki!!!!!

i do not like to be rough with people. But this is like the third time he has replied to one of my questions with completely the wrong answer. I wonder why he was the only one who replied the way he did. No one else suggested how to send wallpapers to the phone... because i did not ask that question.

if this was the first time, fine, but this is like the 4th time.

krad
11-16-2005, 02:36 PM
btw... the rogers theme you see on the web is a default theme on the phone. It is not a "rogers" theme.

krad
11-16-2005, 02:37 PM
i can post some pictures tonight if anyone wants me to..

tell me what you are interested in seeing and i will take a pic with my digi.

krad
11-16-2005, 02:43 PM
there is a hardware mute button on the top right of the phone. it only works when your in a call.

AlbertoM
11-16-2005, 02:56 PM
i can post some pictures tonight if anyone wants me to..

tell me what you are interested in seeing and i will take a pic with my digi.
Maybe a photo comparison (on top of, side by side, etc) with the 7100?

Gster
11-16-2005, 03:25 PM
My biggest complaint with all Blackberry's handsdown has been complaints I constantly receive from people I'm speaking with on the phone. They hear background noise, my voice is not clear, etc...Unless Blackberry has made significant improvements here, I'm likely to switch away from Blackberry.

On another note, I attended the 8700 launch party and have not heard from anyone yet. This is disappointing and if Blackberry/Cingular does not hold their promise and deliver a new 8700 - Throwing this launch party and getting people there with the promise of free device will do them more harm than good for sure.

bbuser2
11-16-2005, 07:04 PM
How does the screen perform in outdoor lighting? I have a 7100 and cannot read the screen when any degree of naturual light is on it.

krad
11-16-2005, 07:24 PM
How does the screen perform in outdoor lighting? I have a 7100 and cannot read the screen when any degree of naturual light is on it.

yeah i can't read the screen on my 7100 as well outside.

The 8700c is fully readiable outside. however the auto contrast of the backlight is highly annoying and takes some getting used to.

I am going to take some pics now...

:-)

Boy Genius
11-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Voice quality is still pretty bad if you use blackberry as phone...Used it for about a day, could not tell you how many times I have full signal and people couldn't hear me. What software version do you have on your 8700 exactly krad, i'd like to compare it to mine even tho I am guessing they are the same, how do you like it overall?

mortys11
11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
can u over ride this?

have u tried loading BB Light or 411 to see if it works?

richard371
11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
That's to bad I really want the device to work well as a phone. My Treo 650 works great as a phone(latest fw) and is rock solid but hate wearing it on my hip. Guess we will see when and if we get our free one.

krad
11-16-2005, 07:36 PM
http://www.kradest.com/1.jpg
http://www.kradest.com/2.jpg
http://www.kradest.com/3.jpg
http://www.kradest.com/4.jpg
http://www.kradest.com/5.jpg

Boy Genius
11-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Noticed you have GPRS, you don't have EDGE coverage in your area???

dert
11-16-2005, 07:41 PM
hey krad why dont you have any egde service?

singlemanriot
11-16-2005, 07:49 PM
There are 35 posts before this one, 17 of those belong to Krad, most one after another with not a post between... Try the edit feature... Not to be harsh, just thought it was a bit funny.

Nice pics though.

Boy Genius
11-16-2005, 07:56 PM
krads trying to take a shot at the boygenius! trying to up his post game! LOL

krad
11-16-2005, 07:56 PM
http://www.kradest.com/6.jpg

Boy Genius
11-16-2005, 07:59 PM
dude, ok enough...same pictures plus its huge. Whats your software version? And why don't you have any browser icons, phone icon, help etc...

krad
11-16-2005, 08:00 PM
There are 35 posts before this one, 17 of those belong to Krad, most one after another with not a post between... Try the edit feature... Not to be harsh, just thought it was a bit funny.

Nice pics though.

i could give a shit about thread counts or post counts. Those posts are different posts at different times. if you think my post count is so high, i won't post anything anymore.

singlemanriot
11-16-2005, 08:02 PM
I think that post was to illustrate his Mario Desktop, and the "EDGE" feature working.

Krad;
Just saying you should edit... you look silly replying to yourself.

krad
11-16-2005, 08:03 PM
dude, ok enough...same pictures plus its huge. Whats your software version? And why don't you have any browser icons, phone icon, help etc...

i hid the icons...

v. 4.1.0.170 platform 2.0.0.79
crypto kernel 3.8.3.7
blah blah

large pic was to show the brightness contrast to my new 700m

***edit****

all done here at blackberryforums. My post count will not go up anymore.

Boy Genius
11-16-2005, 08:29 PM
I have exact same software version, LOL@<hidden> saying you wont post here anymore...Thanks for the software numbers..

test
11-16-2005, 11:04 PM
so, you pair it with an auto or try it as a modem?

besadmin23
11-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Nice attitude Krad. You know what, we don't want your posts here if you are going to behave this way. Come on really. Singlemanriot just gave you constructive criticism and you just barfed. Looks like he did teach you how to use the edit feature, so I guess he got his point across. For someone that would bail on this forum, you are definitely not a true blackberry fan. So long!!

singlemanriot
11-17-2005, 02:59 AM
Come on man, you posted yesterday at
6:47am
6:48am
6:51am
6:52am
6:55am
7:17am
7:19am
(others posted)
7:57am
7:58am
(others posted)
11:32am
11:33am
11:35am
11:36am
11:37am
11:38am

Im not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that you may like to edit your post or take a few seconds and collect your thoughts before posting, no need to leave, just trying to point out something you may not have been aware of...

saldous
11-17-2005, 03:50 AM
So what if Krad posted so many times, he is posting useful info we all want to hear. If he was spamming with rubbish fair enough, but he isn't. Jeez. I personally appreciate his posts. For some reason though I can't see any of the pics.

Soapm
11-17-2005, 04:54 AM
I didn't mind all the post. He was excited to be playing with his new toy and I didn't mind sharing his excitement. Not sure why you guys would stomp on his joy??? If his wife and kids are like mine, they don't care so you need a group like us to share your feelings with. Post after post is like opening christmas presents...

DJJeffT
11-17-2005, 08:35 AM
I didn't mind all the post. He was excited to be playing with his new toy and I didn't mind sharing his excitement. Not sure why you guys would stomp on his joy??? If his wife and kids are like mine, they don't care so you need a group like us to share your feelings with. Post after post is like opening christmas presents...

Agreed...let the man post! We are all excited and want more info!!!

Jeff

test
11-17-2005, 08:48 AM
plus if you edit, does the thread get "bumped" to the top?

"nice attitude krad"? haha yea just as good as everyone elses...especially the people jumping down his throat...

let the guy post his info...if you dont like to see his repeated posts, cant you ignore? i know someone else did it to him already.....TIKKI

blkberryboy
11-17-2005, 09:00 AM
"Baby come back, any kind of fool cold see, I was wrong and just can't live without you"...

I think we need a forum wide hug. Everyone seem so ready to jump down everyones troat as of late. What does the post count matter anyway. I have more posts than Boygenius and about 1/10th of his knowledge. It looked like KRAD was pretty excited about his new device. I appriciate the info and could care less. In fact I appriciate quick little posts to one long post, but that my opinion.

dtmfjunkie
11-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm going to have to agree with blkberryboy...this forum has quite a bit of attitude. Forums such as these are meant to bring users together. Can't we all just get along! (y)

rpfeffer
11-17-2005, 11:14 AM
pics are dead. Can we get a rehost?

bperkins
11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Not sure they are "dead" I think that BG removed (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showpost.php?p=125965&postcount=39) them because they were to large and showed the same thing as the ones he posted.

corey@12mile
11-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Man... what's up with all the friggin whiners?

Here's my take on it... if krad wants to post, then post!

singlemanriot... I have no idea who you are, but really, who are you to critisize anyone else? I am sure you have contributed lots to the forum right? Oh... all of how many posts you have? Like seriously dude... if the most you can do here is critisize someone else with your whole 8 or 9 posts... f uck off. go somewhere else.

to everyone else... if people want to post stuff, that really is relevant here, and you have a problem with it... go stick your problem where the sun don't shine.

and that's that.

cd.

corey@12mile
11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
oh and MFTP!

corey@12mile
11-17-2005, 02:18 PM
oh and MFTP!

^^ my thoughts exactly.

Boy Genius
11-17-2005, 03:59 PM
I did not remove the posts/or pictures...

krad
11-17-2005, 07:52 PM
i removed the pics.

This is the only forum i have ever been on where people are down right nasty. There is an exception of a few who really inform and help others (best example jibi).

I too have no patience to read a 4 page post.

I am also a person who is on the go all the time. I don't have to much time to run back and edit everything. Not that i need to justify myself.

I have broken my silence because it is nice to see some people actually appreciate something worthy to start a thread about.

After alittle over a day of having the device, i am torn between the 7100 and the 8700. If i could get the os that is on the 8700 on my 7100 i would be very happy.

BTW... THE BATTERY LIFE ON THE 8700 sucks. I get to 3pm with bluetooth on standby all day and it dies.

i get 1 bar left at 10pm on my 7100.

the 8700 is still an amazing device, but there is to much hype about it.

After a day, you will realize it is just a blackberry, a little quicker then the 7100 but in most senses exactly the same.

Soapm
11-17-2005, 08:22 PM
I think the 7105 has the OS???

Mr Pink57
11-17-2005, 09:48 PM
I think the 7105 has the OS???

The only BB besides the 8700 that has 4.1 is the 7100i at this time.

pink

AlbertoM
11-17-2005, 11:22 PM
BTW... THE BATTERY LIFE ON THE 8700 sucks. I get to 3pm with bluetooth on standby all day and it dies.

i get 1 bar left at 10pm on my 7100.

the 8700 is still an amazing device, but there is to much hype about it.

Hm. I have my 7100G on all day, I am a heavy email user and cell phone user, plus I have PocketDay on doing its weather and RSS updating, and I end up with about 60%~70% battrery left. Now, granted, I may use BT for about 2 hours rather than standby all day. I surf infrequently, say couple times weekly. What else do you do to drive the battery down? And what is the difference, could it be the brighter screen and the EDGE on the 8700?

BTW, any chance on a comparison photo with the 7100?

saldous
11-18-2005, 04:44 AM
I still have the 6280, no colour, no bluetooth and my battery lasts 4 days + (don't use it as a phone). I guess all these new features and the screen take it out on the battery.

corey@12mile
11-18-2005, 09:03 AM
krad... yer ok dude... you should stay... at least you make productive posts... that singlemanriot *****boy can go... he has nothing productive to offer. cause if I was an oscar meyer weiner, I would stick it up singlemanriots arse.

cd.

krad
11-18-2005, 09:29 AM
krad... yer ok dude... you should stay... at least you make productive posts... that singlemanriot *****boy can go... he has nothing productive to offer. cause if I was an oscar meyer weiner, I would stick it up singlemanriots arse.

cd.

lol....

I had comparsion shots but people were crappy about it.

I had yak-on for an hour or so.

battery life is no good on the 8700. When i am using the device the brightness constantly changes. That is probaby due to the battery loss.

I think rim made this device and later on through in the dimmer because this thing sucks up so much juice.

I have edge 99% of the time. i am in north jersey.

The device i have appears to be the final version, who knows though.. with the delay they might be fixing some memory leak or something for better battery performance...

if you were to buy this phone, you would want them to have the extended battery out on day 1 of sales. I know i would need it.

saldous
11-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Maybe that is the OS update that is causing the delay. Anyway to turn the back light off completely?

richard371
11-18-2005, 02:55 PM
How is it as a phone using it as a handset?

jimn367
11-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Is there some sort of auto dimming circuitry to preserver battery power? Any sort of photo cell on the device? We tried an autodimmer once and users hated it. If your hand was over the cell it would get dim...

I sure hope the 8700 doesn't have anything like that.

krad
11-18-2005, 04:16 PM
How is it as a phone using it as a handset?

works great!

the phone is much better quality then my 7100t. The speakerphone is alittle bit more clear, but i think the 7100 has a louder speakerphone. Not sure though they are pretty close to volumes.

krad
11-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Is there some sort of auto dimming circuitry to preserver battery power? Any sort of photo cell on the device? We tried an autodimmer once and users hated it. If your hand was over the cell it would get dim...

I sure hope the 8700 doesn't have anything like that.

the 8700 has this feature... for example. I am in a room that is mostly dark with a light behind me. I am sitting on a couch.

If i put the blackberry while it is on, on my lap, in the darker area, the 8700 will dim lower, to the point where it is harder to read.

When i take the blackberry up to my head and in the direct rays of the light, the device lights up twice as much and takes about 2-4 seconds to notice the change in light differences.

If i fool around with it and go back and forth twice... the thing that dims the phone appears to get jammed and it just stays at that level for 30 seconds or so. You can see it going stupid and not knowing what to do.

Dont' get me wrong, it is a great device, fits well in the hand, but for new features, they are not 100% perfected.

Even with it's faults, it is a fun device to have and play with. I have gotten used to the internet browser being that it only takes a whole website to come up in about 1 second.

singlemanriot
11-18-2005, 04:59 PM

cd.

Nice.

I only made the suguestion he use the edit, never said he should leave. No need for this "productive" post. Dude threw a temper tantrum the second someone did rub his nuts for gracing us with info. The info is very cool, and helpful, his excitement is great, just would rather he take more then 30 seconds to post and then repost.

Boy Genius
11-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I have had not one issue with battery, and no complaints...Lasts forever. I don't use it as a phone and contstantly logged into AIM/MSN/Yahoo and constant BBM, PIN, and Email and it will last me 2 days straight, oh yeah and constant web browsing...

krad
11-18-2005, 08:20 PM
with bluetooth off today, i have half a battery right not at 8pm

kal311
11-18-2005, 09:37 PM
I have a Nokia 6682 that has a pretty good auto dimmer so it's somewhat disappointing to hear that the 8700 isn't so great at this, but not the end of the world. Krad, have you had any issues dropping calls? There's another post in another thread here complaining about lots of dropped calls with the 8700.

kal311
11-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Oh and btw, as a new member of this forum it's frustrating to have to sift through all the bs and petty infighting just to read something that actually matters. krad, thanks for sticking to your guns and continuing to post. Your info is very helpful.

Soapm
11-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Can you turn the auto dimming feature off? Does BBlight work with the 8700 and what impact does it have?

besadmin23
11-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Krad, do you have the bluetooth on discoverable? Plus what BT headset do you have. Is it like a Motorola HS-850 with the fold up boom. I have found those to be much better on battery performance as they dont keep a constant BT connection to the phone all day. It only connects when you open the boom.

Boy Genius
11-19-2005, 03:08 PM
No reason for BBlight, and you can control the light sensor, and turn it off.

joginder
11-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Can someone confirm this for me?
Does 8700 has the same kind of screen like 7100 series where the screen goes black after 45-50 seconds and you will not see anything unless you hit any key.. that is kind of anoying because I can have my BB on cradle at work and see if there are new messages or not.. I know I could see the blinking red light but i would rather see the screen all times.

Soapm
11-20-2005, 10:57 PM
No reason for BBlight, and you can control the light sensor, and turn it off.

I don't know if I believe you or not boygenius so why not send me one of your units so I can test this theory?? I'm willing to sacrifice my time to test your 8700 for ya! LOL

Boy Genius
11-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Can someone confirm this for me?
Does 8700 has the same kind of screen like 7100 series where the screen goes black after 45-50 seconds and you will not see anything unless you hit any key.. that is kind of anoying because I can have my BB on cradle at work and see if there are new messages or not.. I know I could see the blinking red light but i would rather see the screen all times.

Yes it has this feature, longest period to have the screen on is 2 Min.

joginder
11-21-2005, 08:57 AM
I guess, I will stay with 7290 until I am forced to move to 8700. or may be my soul is taken over by marketing devils.
I like my 7290 wih BT and it has been doing really good on the battery as well and I am heavy user on the voice and net plans.

krad
11-21-2005, 09:05 AM
I have a Nokia 6682 that has a pretty good auto dimmer so it's somewhat disappointing to hear that the 8700 isn't so great at this, but not the end of the world. Krad, have you had any issues dropping calls? There's another post in another thread here complaining about lots of dropped calls with the 8700.

not one dropped call. for my review i went to a few places.

underground garage
mall
city streets

not one dropped call and pretty much had a few signal since i got the device. i can't say that for tmobile.

krad
11-21-2005, 09:12 AM
If anyone has questions... i am willling to answer.

I have finished my review of the device. I still have it and use it.

My final thoughts on the 8700c.

The 8700c does not live up to the hype surrounding it. The only benefits this device has is a better screen, faster processor and a better network(not even a feature of the 8700). There is nothing innovative about this device and without those benefits listed it would be exactly like every other blackberry. There is no real innovation in this device. This will not be RIM's "Treo 6xx".

Reasons why this is not innovative-
1. no memory card slot.
2. no media player
3. horrible browser
4. camera
5. built in wifi and or gps

Most other devices on the market have some or all of these features.

I know what your thinking, that will all kill the battery... I am willing to sacrifice another 10 ounces strapped to the back of the blackberry in order to get some new innovative features.

IMHO if your hyped about this device, bring yourself down alittle bit. Sure when you first get it, it is better then sliced bread. But after a few days, you realize it is still the same blackberry.

Sorry if you don't like this post, but it is true.

dtmfjunkie
11-21-2005, 09:17 AM
If anyone has questions... i am willling to answer.

I have finished my review of the device. I still have it and use it.

My final thoughts on the 8700c.

The 8700c does not live up to the hype surrounding it. The only benefits this device has is a better screen, faster processor and a better network(not even a feature of the 8700). There is nothing innovative about this device and without those benefits listed it would be exactly like every other blackberry. There is no real innovation in this device. This will not be RIM's "Treo 6xx".

1. no memory card slot.
2. no media player
3. horrible browser
4. camera

Most other devices on the market have some or all of these features.

I know what your thinking, that will all kill the battery... I am willing to sacrifice another 10 ounces strapped to the back of the blackberry in order to get some new innovative features.

IMHO if your hyped about this device, bring yourself down alittle bit. Sure when you first get it, it is better then sliced bread. But after a few days, you realize it is still the same blackberry.

Different strokes for different folks...

If you're looking for Treo features, then buy a Treo. It has everything you've asked for + more.

AlbertoM
11-21-2005, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=krad]
1. no memory card slot.
2. no media player
3. horrible browser
4. camera

The BlackBerry is and continues to be designed as a business machine. As such, there is no need for any of the above with the exception of a better browser, and some could argue GPS. Some of the places I go, for example, I would not be allowed to take in a camera phone or BB. The memory card would be mostly unecessary if I am not saving music, and if I am working I don't need the music or the media player (and my iRiver is so much better).

Yes and no, power use can be optional as to what is enabled when. Most of those features also deal with security.

Nothing wrong with the post, I like it and find your opinions useful! And thank you.

Inphektion
11-21-2005, 10:49 AM
The 8700c does not live up to the hype surrounding it. The only benefits this device has is a better screen, faster processor and a better network(not even a feature of the 8700).

Funny, those benefits are exactly why I am hyped about it.
The other features you listed I could care less about. You also didn't mention that its smaller and lighter than the 7290 that I currently use and that's another thing I'm hyped about.

The features you mentioned that it doesn't have wouldn't be innovative anyway as there are already products that have them. You aren't an innovator if you are doing something others have already done. Like I said in another thread, Rim will have to make another product line with a blackberry with those features because there are business people who clearly don't want them while there are prosumers that clearly do.

krad
11-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, i love my blackberry. However there are no new features to this device.

When i said innovative in my last post, i meant innovative to the blackberry line. Not innovative to the whole market.

I have used many treo's in my day and you have the option of getting a treo with or without a camera for security purposes.

I agree that RIM should come out with a few product lines.

I believe that RIM and blackberries as a tool are great. But there hardware is lame. When i pick up a 7290 or older device, i am holding a device that should have been decommissioned in 1992.

It is all up to personal preference.

Blackberry- Tape Walkman
Windows Mobile/Palm- CD-Player

Companies are noticing the difference, they are taking Good Technologies 30 day trials and are keeping their treo's. I know i deployed over 50 of their servers. I mostly deployed for accounting firms, doctors offices, law firms. etc. etc. Those people do not care about the backend. They care about what is in their hands. Showing there co-worker at 10 second video of there newborn kid. etc. etc.

mmcpher
11-21-2005, 12:15 PM
When I finished reading Krad's bummer of a review, I found myself wondering of the 8700c "But can it core a apple?"

MegaBit
11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Krad-- when you say "horrible browser", does that mean it has problems with most web sites or is navigation difficult (picking links on pages)?

I was hoping for a pretty decent HTML browser on this thing and with java script support.

krad
11-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Krad-- when you say "horrible browser", does that mean it has problems with most web sites or is navigation difficult (picking links on pages)?

I was hoping for a pretty decent HTML browser on this thing and with java script support.

The browser imho is exactly the same as the 7100 series. There is no difference. I find it hard to use the browser seriously. I mostly rely on rss newsreaders on my blackberries.

And on another note....

In regards to innovation, It would have been nice to have 1 new added feature.

krad
11-21-2005, 02:17 PM
i am still lmao about cingular going back to At&t.

rcbjr
11-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Krad
Have you seen an official announcement about "Cingular" being renamed AT&T? The only announcement I have seen is about the closing of the SBC (one of two companies that own Cingular) buy-out/merger of the remains of AT&T and taking the latter name officially. This is not the same.

Rcbjr

besadmin23
11-22-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey Krad, here are those desktop shots that you wanted. At least I think it was you.

takeshi
11-22-2005, 08:54 AM
1. no memory card slot.
2. no media player
3. horrible browser
4. camera

1 would be nice but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Again, 2 would be nice but it's not a deal breaker. I'd rather use a best of breed media player than some media player feature on a device like this.

3 is disappointing but I use the browser on my current Blackberry extensively and EDGE will be a plus.

4 doesn't matter to me, as again, I'd rather use a real digital camera than have some lame digital camera slapped on a Blackberry for the sake of having one and being "innovative"/

As for 5, GPS would be a big plus. WiFi would be a minor plus.

As stated before, those looking for Treos should get Treos. We've tried them out and they're simply not stable or sturdy enough for deployment in our enterprise. As it is, we have enough people breaking their Blackberries. I shudder to think what they'd be capable of with the more delicate Treos in their hands...

krad
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey Krad, here are those desktop shots that you wanted. At least I think it was you.

sweet!!!!

thanks alot!

krad
11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
i mailed the 8700c back to the magazine today... I am now back to my 7100t. I still enjoy and like my 7100t better, just wish it was a little faster. Can't wait for os 4.1!!!!