PDA

View Full Version : New to the Blackberry World...

Jbenven
11-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Ok so I'm a graduating college student, going to medical school... and I'm looking to upgrade my P.O.S. Motorola v600.

I have been doing my research into the 8700c, (a cingular customer). I lost my PDA in Hurricane Katrina, along with most of my other stuff...

I'm a hardware geek, but I'm no executive by any means.

Here's my question... Do I go w/ a Blackberry or a Palm? I'm sure its alittle biased around here, being that its www.blackberryforums.com.

I'm just looking for alittle advice. My main use would be email,web, and PHONE. I need good quality phone reception...and web browsing in HTML would be a super plus.

Any advice out there?

europamo
11-16-2005, 04:36 PM
once you get a BB, you will desire nothing else but maybe a newer BB

compscibOi
11-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Get a CrackBerry. Highly addictive.

Mark Rejhon
11-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Being more impartial for a moment, to research on Treo's go to www.treocentral.com (http://www.treocentral.com/) ... To research on PocketPC's I've used www.brighthand.com (http://www.brighthand.com/) .... Good boards. For generic cellphones, www.howardforums.com (http://www.howardforums.com/) is an old favourite.

Now, yes, this board is biased, if you want to research more on BlackBerry, check out the BlackBerry FAQ at www.berryfaq.com (http://www.berryfaq.com/), particularly sections:

Why BlackBerry? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=3494#post3494)
A good thread that covers some of the real reasons many people prefer to use a BlackBerry over multimedia handhelds running PalmOS/PocketPC such as Treo/iPaq handhelds.

BlackBerry Myths Busted: The Modern 2005-era BlackBerry (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4019)
This document busts many old myths of BlackBerries, by showcasing BlackBerry technology advancements, including bright color screen, purposes other than email, wide software selection, ability to do Internet applications, instant messaging, and more. Screenshots included!

BBUser7100t
11-17-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm by no means an expert like many of the very smart, talented people on this forum. But as someone who switched from a palm to a blackberry a couple of years ago, I can tell you that while I've often flirted with the idea of going to a treo or other non-blackberry device, I have not done so.

When it comes to email, nobody does it better than BlackBerry. While Blackberries are low on frills (fewer third party apps), its operating system is more stable than what I've heard from Treo users. I can always rely on it and if I drop it (as I'm prone to do at least twice a day) I know that it will still work.

In sum, Blackberry rocks!

dtmfjunkie
11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
It really depends on what you plan to use the Blackberry for. I have used the blackberries and treo's for several years.

To sum up the advantages/disadvantages I've found...and why I'm switching back to a Blackberry after having used the Treo650 for a full year...

Treo Advantages:

1. Software, Software and more software
2. to elaborate on #1 - Multimedia applications are very good, you can watch movies, listen to music, stream video, stream music
3. Form factor as a phone (as compared to blackberry 72XX series) - it is more of a phone than a PDA
4. Screen resolution 320x320

Treo Disadvantages:

1. Software is not stable...the most frustrating thing was it rebooting when it was needed the most.
2. Poor Email integration (even with Chatter software)

Blackberry Advantages:

1. Integration to corporate email system
2. Email is much better than Treo (even with Chatter)

Blackberry Disadvantages:

1. Expensive 3rd party applications...and lack there of.
2. Little to no multimedia functionality (other than viewing pics)

As you have probably discovered from your research, both devices are great. What you really need to do is decide on what you need the device for. Once you have that established, I think making the decision will be easier.

Good luck.

rpfeffer
11-17-2005, 04:29 PM
I've never used a palm. I thought about it because the 7290 is a piece of crap IMO, but i've heard more gripes about palms then BBs in general. And now, with the 8700 on the horizon, that is where I'm heading. I can't wait for it. Now if I can just get a hold of one....

People talk smack about the blackberry being a brick, and they are right , its big but it does quite a bit. They'll drool over the 8700.

Dazed
11-20-2005, 04:03 AM
im torn between the 8700 and the Treo 650. Im leaning towards the 650 becasue of its video playback capabilities (no need to buy a ipod video if i get it :) ) but i do like the 8700 for its email and stability. its a tough choice.

Does anyone know how long the battery would last on a 650 when playing a video ? Also how is the messenger capabilities ? Are there True MSN and Yahoo clients yet for the 650 or do i have to go through third party software like quickIM. I use MSN and yahoo a lot so any device would need to be able to access these.

bostonnerd
11-20-2005, 09:59 AM
snipped....
Here's my question... Do I go w/ a Blackberry or a Palm? I'm sure its alittle biased around here, being that its www.blackberryforums.com.

I'm just looking for alittle advice. My main use would be email,web, and PHONE. I need good quality phone reception...and web browsing in HTML would be a super plus.

Any advice out there?

I had a Treo 600 (my wife had a 600 and now has a Treo 650). The build quality of the Treo hardware is horrible. The software is very unstable even with just the built in applications.

If you have no need to store medical referances on the unit, the Blackberry will generally perform flawlessly.The phone component works well on my 7290, and the email as you would expect, is flawless.

Where are you going to school? Will you be able to get on a BES (Blackberry server)?

sfo
11-20-2005, 11:35 AM
What you seem to need is stability more than anything. In that case, absolutely go with the 8700.
You'll also find it far easier to carry around.

debk3141
11-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Your decision of which device to go with depends on what you will be using it for. I am a physician, and I went to medical school when computer still took up a room so we had no handheld technology at that time.

I frequently have medical students in my clinc and they all have a palm based device. Why palm, because of the medical software avaiable. On the palm you can have a mobile version of the PDR and other medical references that are very useful to medical students.

I personally have a BB7290 and will upgrade to the 8700c when it is released. At this point in my career I find the features of the BB exactly what I need, especially the email.

However in your case; from talking with the medical students I intereact with, if I was just staring out in medical school as you are I would think that a palm type PDA would almost be a requirement.

Good luck in medical school

kal311
11-20-2005, 02:26 PM
im torn between the 8700 and the Treo 650. Im leaning towards the 650 becasue of its video playback capabilities (no need to buy a ipod video if i get it :) ) but i do like the 8700 for its email and stability. its a tough choice.

Does anyone know how long the battery would last on a 650 when playing a video ? Also how is the messenger capabilities ? Are there True MSN and Yahoo clients yet for the 650 or do i have to go through third party software like quickIM. I use MSN and yahoo a lot so any device would need to be able to access these.

I have a 650 and the video capture and playback of the Treo is pretty bad. Horrible sound quality and poor image. It definitely depends on what you want it for, but if it's for anything more than capturing 10 seconds of something you don't really care about then this is not the device for you.