PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

srishi
06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey everyone!

I just joined right now and I had a few questions about my blackberry. I have a BB 8830 and I recently purchased it off Ebay. Now, the ESN and everything was clean so I transferred my plan on it. However, I was recently told by a friend of mine that my phone was on BES. Is there any way I can clean my phone of these settings? I emailed the tech support at Blackberry, and they said that the only way it can be done is through the company's server or by contacting the company admin. Is that the only way or can anything else be done as well?

Secondly, I was trying to change the WAP settings on my phone, and I was told that I can't change them because I am on the BES. Is that true? And if I do get my phone off the BES, then how do I change the settings to add a different Gateway IP address etc.

Thank you for your help! :smile:
Sorry if I sound confusing.. I'm new to all this!

aiharkness
06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

It's likely you bought a blackberry that has an IT policy on it from having been on a BES. You can remove the IT policy, but it will be put back on if the blackberry is still registered on the BES.

Look at the top of the general blackberry forum (I think) for the instructions on removing an IT policy. Or look in blackberryfaq.com.

jsconyers
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Welcome to the forums.

As Ira stated, you have an IT policy on the device. I would first upgrade your OS to 4.5, then run the ResetToFactory option in JL_Cmder. That will break the connection with the BES (which the device shouldn't be connected anyway) and remove the IT Policy.

Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy)

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/18789-jl_cmder.html?highlight=JL_Cmder

aiharkness
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

So using the reset-to-factory procedure with 4.5 will prevent the policy from being pushed back to the BB again? Interesting.

dc/dc
06-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

So using the reset-to-factory procedure with 4.5 will prevent the policy from being pushed back to the BB again? Interesting.

Yes, unless the device is re-joined to a BES, at which point a policy will be pushed.

srishi
06-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey everyone,

I will try your suggestions and get back to you guys! Thanks a ton for all your help! I really appreciate it :smile:

jsconyers
06-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

The OS upgrade itself would break the connection with the BES and prevent the policy from being pushed back down. I assume the the device is 4.2 and for ResetToFactory to work, the device must be 4.3 or higher. That's why I suggested to upgrade first.

srishi
06-10-2009, 09:30 AM
how would i know which OS I have on my Blackberry?
and how can I upgrade to a 4.5?

jsconyers
06-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Options > About (3rd line down) will show your current OS.

Here are the steps to upgrade your 8830:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/191611-latest-os-8830-4-5-0-253-4-5-0-160-multilanguage-esn-devices.html

aiharkness
06-10-2009, 11:01 AM
The OS upgrade itself would break the connection with the BES and prevent the policy from being pushed back down. I assume the the device is 4.2 and for ResetToFactory to work, the device must be 4.3 or higher. That's why I suggested to upgrade first.

Ok. Has this always been true, that an OS upgrade will de-link the blackberry from BES?

I was under the impression from what I've picked up here over the years that the BES "knows" the individual blackberry (from PIN, I assumed) and until the BES is told the blackberry does not belong to it anymore, the BES would continue to update/push the policy.

There's something I'm missing.

Just curious.

jsconyers
06-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes, AFAIK the OS upgrade has always broke the connection to the BES. The device PIN/info will still show on the BES side, however there is no connection. No PIM sync or mail flow will take place until the device is re-activated on the BES.

jsconyers
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Here is a recent post of someone that found this out first hand:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/170511-latest-os-8310-4-5-0-174-4-5-0-124-english-eastasian-4.html#post1403189

aiharkness
06-10-2009, 11:16 AM
So, what I'm filing away in my brain is an OS upgrade undoes whatever it is an activation does. After an upgrade, the blackberry is de-linked from teh BES until it is reactivated again. Thus, until such time, the BES cannot update or push the policy.

Simply over-writing the policy (which is what we used to have to do) does not undo the activation. And that is why simply over-writing the policy would not get rid of it for good if the blackberry was still linked up with a BES.

jsconyers
06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Simply over-writing the policy (which is what we used to have to do) does not undo the activation. And that is why simply over-writing the policy would not get rid of it for good if the blackberry was still linked up with a BES.

Correct, the policy would be pushed back to the device if the device was still connected to the BES.

srishi
06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Okay, so a couple of days back I was searching through the forums to find a way to access internet without a data plan. Since I'm a Bell Mobility customer, the only way to do that would be by changing the Gateway IP and all those settings.

However, when I go Options > Advanced options > TCP.. I don't have that option, and somebody said that this was because my phone was on a BES and taking it off BES would solve this problem.

Is this true? If not, then how can I change the Gateway IP on my phone.

Please let me know if this is true! In the meantime, I'm going to update my OS tonight :) Thanks once again for all your help

jsconyers
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
It's only true if they would push a blank policy to your device prior to removing it from the BES. If not, you would need to remove your IT policy.

srishi
06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand.. could you please explain further?

srishi
06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
and how would I remove my IT policy?

jsconyers
06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Check the links in post #3

srishi
06-12-2009, 03:25 PM
okay, quick question..

how can I tell if my blackberry is actually on a BES. I'm sorry for asking this now, but all along I was trusting my friend's word, but since all of you know a lot more I just wanted to ask before going through these steps. So please let me know!

Thanks

aiharkness
06-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Let's start over from scratch. Go to options > security options > general settings > scroll down > What do you see showing below Services?

You may see ***no services***. If so that's good. No IT policy.

If you see something else, then there's an IT policy on the device. See the posts above that tell you what to do.