View Full Version : Upgrade Now or Wait?

11-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I am looking for a little advice. I currently have a Blackberry 7290 on cingular. I think Blackberry is the best communication device I have ever bought.

I am very tempted to upgrade to the 8700c for various reasons. Asides from the fact that device does seem to have many improvments over the 7290, I like to have the latest technology, I guess you can call me an "early adopter".

Now my concern is the fact that cingular seems to be rolling out UMTS. If UMTS is fairly widespead in the next few months does this make the 8700c "old technology" in six months or so? Will the 8700c be upgradable to UMTS with software or will it require new hardware? Is there a UMTS blackberryin the pipeline?

Part of me wants to run out and get the 8700c the second it is avaiable, however the other side is saying wait there may be a better blackberry in six months or so.

Thanks for any advice


11-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Being an early adopter, you certainly know how fast things change and you'll always be in this situation. In the case of UMTS, I don't think you'll have a use for that on a BlackBerry device. If you used it for audio & video streaming, live video-phone calls, or as a data link for a PC it would be useful but I don't see BlackBerry devices going there anytime soon if they want to keep the corporate world IT/security people happy.

You should therefore upgrade to the 8700c and get a UMTS card for your PC when they come out next year--unless they are built into the PC and in that case you simple upgrade your notebook because it'll be time for a new one anyway-right?

11-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks now I will have a good reason to replace my laptop in the future also :smile:


11-19-2005, 11:26 AM
And I think you'll have more than 6 months.....

11-19-2005, 11:44 AM
There are prior posts that suggest the Intel chip will be flashable to support UMTS.