PDA

View Full Version : A few email questions

mspong
11-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Ok, I bought a 7100g because I've heard over and over (and over) again that the reason BlackBerries are so popular is because they are just so good at handling email.

And then I find out that they don't support multiple "from" addresses? That's absurd - it's a big feature to be missing. How am I supposed to handle both my personal email and my work email accounts? I can't have my personal email appear to be coming from my work account, because people would start emailing me at my work account, and I don't want that. And I certainly can't have my work email look like it's coming from my personal account. Is there a workaround here?

Also, is there any email encryption support (i.e. PGP, S/MIME, etc... I understand that all communication is encrypted within the BB network, but that's not good enough for my purposes) which doesn't require BES (i.e. something that works with a personal, ISP-hosted BB account)?

meth0dz
11-20-2005, 01:08 AM
That's odd because on my 7105t I can select which email address I'm sending from, be it my school, professional, or personal address. When you are composing the email click on the email address you are sending from and then select change option. This should work as long as you have set up all the email accounts for use on your BB.

mspong
11-20-2005, 01:16 AM
meth0dz, mine doesn't even show a "from" field.

meth0dz
11-20-2005, 01:32 AM
hmmm... I doubt it has anything to do with it, but I'm running the latest software for the 7100 series. The field on my phone to change the option in "Using:". But maybe its different because of theme carrier then? Sorry I'm not of much help since I', also pretty new to the BB myself.

mspong
11-20-2005, 01:33 AM
It might be - I'm running 4.0, but there are upgrades on Cingular's site to 4.2. I wonder if I should upgrade or not (had a Treo, so I'm wary of unnecessary OS upgrading...)

Jase88
11-20-2005, 05:57 AM
If your device is connected to a BES, you can select which account to send from. For example, the webclient is my "personal" account, and the desktop, or BES, is my business address.

Berry One
11-20-2005, 09:21 AM
And then I find out that they don't support multiple "from" addresses?

Every blackberry other than served by T-Mobile supports two "from" addresses: one for BES (corporate email) and one for BWC (personal email).

Folks like me, who would rather have one personal email address, find it both convenient and sufficient.

T-Mobile recently upgraded their BWC system and now T-Mobile blackberries support one "from" address for BES and up to 10 "from" addresses of personal email accounts.

If you must have more than one personal "from" email address supported- you have to switch to T-Mobile. People with 7100t blackberries saying it works for them are living proof it works: 7100t is T-Mobile blackberry.

Berry One
11-20-2005, 09:31 AM
meth0dz, mine doesn't even show a "from" field.

It is by design. Blackberry knows what email address, personal or business, email was sent to, so when you reply it knows what "from" address to put in.

Try that: open email on your blackberry, choose Forward, and if you can select "Send Using:" option, can switch between "Desktop" and "Web Client" - you are all set up with two email addresses: one personal and one business.

That is for devices other than from T-Mobile. T-Mobile blackberries may offer additional functionality I am not familiar with.