PDA

View Full Version : Otterbox Cases Worth The Cost?

CT-Mike
06-26-2009, 08:33 PM
So after reading the thread about replacement parts from cnn.cn, I ordered a new faceplate for my 8830 since it is scratched from being dropped on my gravel driveway :(

I plan to upgrade to the Tour shortly after it comes out, and I would like to recoup some of the cost by selling the 8830. Is the Otterbox case worth the cost, and will it deliver on all that the website promises? I want to protect it after replacing the screen to maximize resale value.

Also, realistically how much could I expect to get for the 8830, bought it new in January of this year?

Thanks,

Mike

xxwckdxx
06-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Otterbox cases are WELL worth the money i have one for my 8330 and my 8350 love them. Iam hard on my phones iam in construction i usualyl have to replace my phone about every six months but not anymore with these cases :) and also their customer service is great my 8350 i accidently ripped the usb port cover and contacted customer service they sent me a free silicone skin out...then my 8330 i was rushing disaqsembling the case to do a battery pull and i broke a tab off that holds the case together and i contacted customer service about it and they sent me a whole new case for free they are #1 in my book

Canteloube
09-30-2009, 03:19 AM
The Otterbox worth the money?

I should say so. My practically new BB '8900' which I tend to carry in my trousers pocket, fell out yesterday whilst getting out of the car. It dropped on to (very hard and unyielding) concrete and I watch in horror as the device bounced hard on its corner.

'Amazing' I thought, as I picked it up cursing my own stupidity, 'there's not a mark on the rubber casing - bet my beloved BB is dented' but of course it was not.

If the Orange network's promise of "full coverage" in this part of the UK lived-up to the promise of Otterbox, I'd be an even happier bunny.

wutwutman
09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I would have to agree. The Otterbox cases are amazing. Just REALLY expensive. lol

Being the frugal guy i am, I searched around for a lower priced alternative. I beleive I found it.

It's a case by Body Glove. Very similar to the Otterbox case in just about every way. I actually like the looks better than the Otterbox. Not as clunky and "geeky". Totally protects everything. Awesome screen protection.

You can find it at Crackberry dot com. I cant post the link yet apparently LOL

I didnt buy mine at Crackberry but their price is very nice. I bought mine retail and paid 22.99. Check it out, you can save some bucks without sacrificing protection!

:smile:

SmoothOperator
09-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Otterboxes are worth it, yes. I have them for both my Bold and my iPhone. No matter how careful you are with your device, it will inevitably drop. You can buy them on eBay for about $30 and if you buy out of state you pay no sales tax, and some vendors will include free shipping as well. Just look around and you'll get a good deal on one.

kingston73
09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I just bought the Commuter model and love it, its the 3rd type of case I've tried and by far the best.

dumbnative
09-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (8830 thru Sprint)

I also love it. Great case!!! Saved my phone countless times.

ATLSport
10-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I have my Bold in an otterbox and have dropped it onto concrete from my bike while moving, in the rain, and you'd never even know it. I wish they came in more colors than just yellow and black though!

Drug$toreCowboy
10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I too am using it and I consider it well worth the money for my 8310. If you are looking for a lower-cost alternative, try the Roots TuffSkin kit. It gives you the holster, a decent skin and a screen protector. I have both but give the edge to the Otter Box.

naraiz
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I purchased an Otterbox for my Blackberry Bold. It does add a a small amount of bulk to the device. This is a small sacrifice for the protection it provides my device. I spend alot of time outside in my occupation and I definitely appreciate the added protection. I highly recommend patience when applying the skin to the display. If you are deliberate you can remove virtually all the bubbles (to include the very small ones). :)

Kirkx
10-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Do Otterbox cases have the belt clip or are they just for in-the-pocket use? This is not clear from their website.