PDA

View Full Version : Move BB server AD Domain?

wreedLBZ
07-09-2009, 03:18 PM
We are going to be building a fresh 2008 AD domain for a customer that currently has 20 BBs on a BES SBS server. All the existing users will have users and mailboxes created in the new domain.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

TargetIT
07-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Assuming you don't want to change anything other than the AD, just enterprise activate all of them.

hdawg
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
wipe each device; then enterprise activate.

wreedLBZ
07-10-2009, 02:34 AM
wipe each device; then enterprise activate.

Thats what I was trying to avoid, I guess its not possible any other way?

hdawg
07-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Thats what I was trying to avoid, I guess its not possible any other way?

If you create either a new Exchange organization or AD Forest there is no way around it. They are the limitation for BES.

wreedLBZ
07-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Now let me ask you this, we are currently on BES SBS installed on our Exchange server. I understand full BES cannot be installed on the messaging server. How do I go about moving to full BES? I can install a temp server if need be. Thanks for the help.

FYI We purchase a Enterprise server trade up key.

hdawg
07-10-2009, 07:38 AM
You perform a knife-edge cutover: KB10278 - How to perform a knife-edge cutover for BES 4.x (http://www.port3101.org/featured-blackberry-kb-articles/1141-kb10278-how-perform-knife-edge-cutover-bes-4-x.html)

wreedLBZ
07-10-2009, 07:39 AM
So basically I need to install a new BES server on a new box then perform the cutover?
Should I load full BES from the beginning and does it matter the version I load? I am on 4.1.4, can I load 5.0?
Does the cutover move the SQL database too?

hdawg
07-10-2009, 07:47 AM
So basically I need to install a new BES server on a new box then perform the cutover?

The cutover technically takes place when you turn on the services of the new server. ... but yes, you stop the services on the old server and install BES on the new box with the same BES SERVER NAME, pointing to the same BlackBerry Configuration Database.

Should I load full BES from the beginning and does it matter the version I load?

If you have the 4.1 SP6 or 5.0 bits load them; then you don't need to apply any additional service packs. You'll still have to apply the newest maintenance release after however.

I am on 4.1.4, can I load 5.0?

If you really want to.

Does the cutover move the SQL database too?

The procedure I sent you indicates that you need to copy / move the database to a new / permanent location for the new BES to access it ... unless you've already got the database on a remote server that both can access.

wreedLBZ
07-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Only problem I have is the servername CANNOT be the SAME. Currently BES SBS Is loaded on our Windows SBS server that does, file print, etc. This server must stay in place and active. I can build another server with a differnet server name.

hdawg
07-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Only problem I have is the servername CANNOT be the SAME. Currently BES SBS Is loaded on our Windows SBS server that does, file print, etc. This server must stay in place and active. I can build another server with a differnet server name.

Let me reiterate and explain further:

The BES SERVER NAME must remain the same ... not the hostname.

When you install BES there is a screen that asks you for a SERVER NAME ... it defaults to the hostname of the machine but can be changed. This value needs to match what is currently displayed in the BlackBerry Manager for the knife-edge cutover to work successfully.

wreedLBZ
07-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Thats what I thought, just needed to clarify Thanks!

hdawg
07-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Cool; you're welcome. (y)

wreedLBZ
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM
hdawg, You seem very knowledgeable, we have over 10 clients with BES. Would you be interested in helping me if I need assistance for a fee of course?

hdawg
07-10-2009, 09:06 AM
PM sent.

wreedLBZ
07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Let me reiterate and explain further:

The BES SERVER NAME must remain the same ... not the hostname.

When you install BES there is a screen that asks you for a SERVER NAME ... it defaults to the hostname of the machine but can be changed. This value needs to match what is currently displayed in the BlackBerry Manager for the knife-edge cutover to work successfully.

So after doing this will the BES server appear as the old server name or will it update itself to the new server?

penguin3107
07-10-2009, 03:51 PM
So after doing this will the BES server appear as the old server name or will it update itself to the new server?

The BES instance name will remain as the "old" BES instance name.
The windows machine name will be new.

wreedLBZ
07-10-2009, 04:09 PM
What key will I use to install BES? The trade-up key I received?

hdawg
07-12-2009, 11:55 AM
You'll use the same key you currently have in place and then will replace it with the new key.

wreedLBZ
07-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I want to load full SQL server on new BES box. Could I move the database first and then perform cutover? Basically cutover sounds like you stop the services on old box, install BES and tell it name of old server and when services come online on new box it thinks its the old server.

Am I thinking correct?

hdawg
07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Yes and yes. I always move the database first, make sure it is working with the old server and then install BES on the new server.