PDA

View Full Version : Too good to be true

MsSkigirl
07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I felt I won the lottery when my IT guy said "all those phones in that box are like puppies--freeeeee to a good home"
So I scored a bb 8700 that just happens to use my provider so I thought I just pop in my SIM and go. WRONG.
Well there is a password required to unlock the phone to use. Whoever it was assigned to had a password when it idled. I can not even get in the phone.
Is there any solution to this?:-(

jsconyers
07-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the forums.

When I read your thread title, I could have sworn I would have opened it up and you would have been talking about me :razz:

All joking aside, enter the incorrect password 10 times and it will wipe all of the data off of the phone and you should be able to use it at that point.

However there may be an IT policy on the device. Check out the FAQ's for an article on how to remove the IT policy.

MsSkigirl
07-27-2009, 09:17 PM
You are my hero! Could you explain what the IT policy would/could prevent me from doing?

Dubdub
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
IT Policy essentially locks out anything the company doesn't want the user to do with the device. There is no universal what you can and cannot do. Some common things are no downloads, no surfing, no PC sync.

Read the FAQ for how to remove one.

jsconyers
07-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes, as DubDub stated, it will limit your device as to what you may or may not be able to do. It could force a password, a security timeout, prevent 3rd party applications, disable SMS, etc.

Here is how to remove it.

Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy)

I would really suggest upgrading your device to 4.5 and then downloading JL_Cmder and doing the reset to factory option.

If you have an 8700, here are the steps to do so. Follow them to the letter and you should be alright. Just be a little patient as it could take up to an hour or so.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/196414-latest-os-8700-4-5-0-255-4-5-0-162-eastasia-english.html

And here is where you can find JL_Cmder
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/18789-jl_cmder.html?highlight=JL_Cmder

Just take your time and follow the directions to the letter and you should be fine. If you have any questions, post back here and we will be able to answer them for you.

MsSkigirl
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I guess since It says "data connection refused" that would be what the IT policy?

jsconyers
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I believe that has to do with you not having a data plan.

Can you still make phone calls?

jsconyers
07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Take a look here:

Data Connection Refused? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Data_Connection_Refused%3F)

MsSkigirl
07-27-2009, 09:49 PM
To clarify: should I remove the IT policy first and then upgrade? Or will the upgrade remove it? I guess if I can't download as a result of the IT policy that would be a problem....??

jsconyers
07-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Upgrade the OS first. Once you have 4.5 installed on the device, then install JL_Cmder and and run the ResetToFactory option. That will remove the IT policy and restore your device as if it came right out of the box.

If you're looking to use the BlackBerry to its full potential, you may want to look into a BlackBerry data plan, if it's within your budget. It all depends on what your needs/wants are for the device.

That is for a later discussion. Let's stick to upgrading your OS and removing the IT policy. :-)

MsSkigirl
07-27-2009, 10:09 PM
You guys rock! Thanks for all the help. I am going to tackle the upgrade when I have more time. :)

jsconyers
07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted on how things go!

MsSkigirl
07-28-2009, 06:58 PM
For the JL_..... it is asking me to save to my computer-how do I then save it to the bb?

jsconyers
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
You want to save it to your PC. Install it to your PC. It will detect the device when connected to your PC, just like Desktop Manager does.

MsSkigirl
07-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok that went well I think. How can I check to make sure I am no longer on IT policy?\
Also under enterprise activation I found a pin. Does this have anything to do with the IT policy stuff?

jsconyers
07-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Go to Options > Security Options > General Settings and scroll to the bottom, what does it say under Services?

MsSkigirl
07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
There is no Security options under Options :0

jsconyers
07-28-2009, 08:02 PM
It may be Settings > Options > Security Options > General Settings for you.

This is on the device...

MsSkigirl
07-28-2009, 08:22 PM
I was under advanced options! Duh. Ok under services it says "NO Services" :)

jsconyers
07-29-2009, 12:49 AM
No Services = No IT Policy :-)

johnhamze
10-06-2009, 10:49 PM
hi everybody, I have a BlackBerry Storm 9500 Smartphone and I have the problem of the blinking red light. I tried doing what everything said but I'm still not sure... I downloaded version5 of the desktop manager but still I dont have anything =( i get the PIN when i say update but it still happens... please someone help!! =(