PDA

View Full Version : Texting

extraordinaire
07-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi, I was wondering if there is anyway to send/receive text messages with a data plan and no texting plan. i.e. Google Voice

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm a little bit about how Google Voice might work, anyone want to explain?

rambo47
07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
For a true SMS/text message, no.

You can send BlackBerry-to-Blackberry via PIN messages or through BB Messenger, all through the data plan. There are IM programs that use data as well (BeJive).

jeffm2009
07-28-2009, 03:52 PM
You can't send texts through the data plan but you could send instant messages through your choice of a variety of programs. It's not the same though, so the simple answer is no.

extraordinaire
07-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Oh okay, one more question.

If I had unlimited messaging, on the att website, it mentions being able to use IM.

Will I be able to use BBM without a data plan if I had a messaging plan? And if not, what are some 3rd party apps that uses messaging for IM and not data?

trooperdjb
07-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Yes you can, the easy way to do it is to send to #########@<hidden> or whatever your recipient's carriers text gateway is. I do exactly that with my daughter who has unlimited texting. My BB sends her an e-mail (using data so no charge to me) she receives a text message (no charge to her) sends me back a text message to my e-mail account. The only downside is it's marginally slower then text messages. Seems to be about a 3 minute cycle time on ATT.

trooper.

rambo47
07-29-2009, 08:14 AM
BB Messenger is data plan only.

jsconyers
07-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Yes you can, the easy way to do it is to send to #########@<hidden> or whatever your recipient's carriers text gateway is. I do exactly that with my daughter who has unlimited texting. My BB sends her an e-mail (using data so no charge to me) she receives a text message (no charge to her) sends me back a text message to my e-mail account. The only downside is it's marginally slower then text messages. Seems to be about a 3 minute cycle time on ATT.

trooper.

I agree, using the SMS gateway would be the way to go if you don't want to add a texting plan.

Here is a list of gateways.
SMS gateway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway)

takeshi
07-29-2009, 08:21 AM
P.S. I'm a little bit about how Google Voice might work, anyone want to explain?
In general or specifically regarding SMS? There's at least one thread on it in the Aftermarket Software subforum:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/195394-google-voice-blackberry-integration.html

extraordinaire
07-29-2009, 06:45 PM
In general or specifically regarding SMS?

im specifically tlaking about SMS

i read the thread and i just want to make sure i have this right

with google voice, i can send sms using data?

also, google voice's app is available to blackberry already and is fully functioning? or is it still being developed?

sorry, im new to the world of smartphones :x