PDA

View Full Version : Struggling new user

afletcher
07-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi,

I got my blackberry yesterday and I just can't seem to type on it.

I've only managed to enter the password correctly twice. Yesterday I wiped it and had to get IT to set it up again. And today I'm already on shot 4/5.

My question is - what am I doing wrong? What obvious pitfalls are there for a newbie? For example, to get a capital, I've been holding down CAP whilst simultaneously typing the letter - should I be doing that? Or touching them successively? The same goes for the ALT key - in parallel or consecutive keys?

Beyond this, I can't think what the problem might be. Perhaps my fingers are too fat?

It would be great to have your ideas/advice.

aBRaNcHi
07-30-2009, 03:14 AM
You have to press the keys simultaneously; for instance, lets say you want to write oNe, then you go "o", shift+N, "e". When typing passwords, it's always lowercase, even the first letter. If you want to turn CAPSLock on, then go Alt+RightShift. If you want to keep the Alt on; for instance to write a long number, go Alt+LeftShift. To disable any of these, just press any of the shifts key again and it should work. Hope this helps.
Cheers

Hi,

I got my blackberry yesterday and I just can't seem to type on it.

I've only managed to enter the password correctly twice. Yesterday I wiped it and had to get IT to set it up again. And today I'm already on shot 4/5.

My question is - what am I doing wrong? What obvious pitfalls are there for a newbie? For example, to get a capital, I've been holding down CAP whilst simultaneously typing the letter - should I be doing that? Or touching them successively? The same goes for the ALT key - in parallel or consecutive keys?

Beyond this, I can't think what the problem might be. Perhaps my fingers are too fat?

It would be great to have your ideas/advice.

afletcher
07-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Didn't work. Maybe I'm doing something else wrong.

Okay, so, suppose I had a double six in the middle of the password. Would I press and hold ALT while hitting six twice? Or would I press ALT + six, then press ALT + six a second time?

aBRaNcHi
07-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Didn't work. Maybe I'm doing something else wrong.

Okay, so, suppose I had a double six in the middle of the password. Would I press and hold ALT while hitting six twice? Or would I press ALT + six, then press ALT + six a second time?

Alt+6 then Alt+6. When you press Alt/Shift, its function is limited to the key your press next. So if you want to use it for two keys you have to press it once+thekey, anothertime+thekey, and so on. Do you have the 8900? It's keys are a bit small and take time to get used to. But especially when typing passwords be cautious of not pressing two keys at the same time; for instance if you want to press J, be cautious of not pressing J+K. You can control this by looking at the screen as you type and seeing how many stars(*) are appearing as you type. Try to use your fingertips and not your finger platform. If you are really having a hard time with the typing and don't seem to get used to it, and if you feel desperate about it, I'd recommend the BB Bold model. Its keys are much more comfortable and specially if you are a person with thick fingers.
Cheers

MidnightDraven
07-30-2009, 05:51 AM
You know what would be helpful...what model of blackberry you are using....

VENEMYV
07-30-2009, 07:41 PM
You know what would be helpful...what model of blackberry you are using....

also......use your thumbs.......