PDA

View Full Version : RIM Moving production out of Canada?

Cooper
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if RIM is moving most mainstream production to other places?

RIM just gave my work 12 (6 and 6) Bold's and Curve 8900's and they were both made in Mexico. The Curve is Mexico 3 and the Bold is Mexico 1 (I'm assuming different plants?)

Not that I really care where it's made, but has RIM taken to task that labour is cheaper elsewhere and they're ready to take advantage of it?

Do we have a list of where each device is being made?

Dubdub
08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I think they have been made in Mexico for some time now. No one wants to pay what it would cost to produce an item in their own country, but they always tend to complain when it isn't (not that you are complaining). Would be a nice topic for another section I think.

leec81
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I am sure it is not just RIM who is outsourcing...

fonejunkie
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if RIM is moving most mainstream production to other places?

RIM just gave my work 12 (6 and 6) Bold's and Curve 8900's and they were both made in Mexico. The Curve is Mexico 3 and the Bold is Mexico 1 (I'm assuming different plants?)

Not that I really care where it's made, but has RIM taken to task that labour is cheaper elsewhere and they're ready to take advantage of it?

Do we have a list of where each device is being made?

I have also seen/read that the majority of devices for Europe are made in Hungary... nothing official though...

MidnightDraven
08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Mine is made in Hungary.
AS ive said elsewhere, makes sense to have them made in europe for the europe market than shipping from Mexico.

Cooper
08-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I guess one question is what are they going to do with all of the production facilities they built in Waterloo and Kitchener? Maybe convert into Offices? They don't seem to be looking to shed and property, as they've eaten up a good section of Waterloo now.

Company - Maps - Research In Motion (http://www.rim.com/company/maps/index.shtml)

rambo47
08-04-2009, 06:31 PM
As long as BlackBerry sales remain robust, I don't think they're going anywhere. Mexico and Hungary are long-time manufacturing centers for RIM.

SteveO86
08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
When the Bold was released the CrackBerry podcast did a mention of the where the BlackBerries were manufactured and they did mention various placed of the world. The Bold was released a good year ago so it has been that for a bit.

Cooper
08-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Talked to a friend of mine over at RIM and he said they're still making tons in Waterloo, it's just that because of the increase in sales they've had to open the extra production facilities.

NJBlackBerry
08-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Well that's good news. As long as we can continue to get our good old American BlackBerrys made in Waterloo!

SteveO86
08-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Well that's good news. As long as we can continue to get our good old American BlackBerrys made in Waterloo!

(y) I second that.

cdnPaul
08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I loved that fact that my 8100 was "Made in Canada". and I laughed at my friends who had 8300's that were made in mexico.

then i was horrified when I opened up my new 8900 to see the label "Made in Mexico"

the horrrrrahhhhhhhhh