PDA

View Full Version : Tethering on the 7130...

gluck75
11-26-2005, 04:39 PM
A couple of questions relating to "tethering" the 7130 from Verizon.

1) How would the 7130 connect to a laptop? Would the laptop need a bluetooth card?

2) I have read that tethering will cost an additional $15 per month. Question...if I want to use it for a month can I subscribe to this service and cancel when I am done. Obviously you can't cancel the voice or blackberry contract, but I would assume that the tethering option is one that you could turn on and off.

3) Finally, to view a web page, say cnn.com, how would the page load time on a laptop using a cable modem compare to a laptop tethered to a EVDO equipped blackberry...

Thanks in advance...

whsbuss
11-27-2005, 07:35 AM
A couple of questions relating to "tethering" the 7130 from Verizon.

1) How would the 7130 connect to a laptop? Would the laptop need a bluetooth card?

2) I have read that tethering will cost an additional $15 per month. Question...if I want to use it for a month can I subscribe to this service and cancel when I am done. Obviously you can't cancel the voice or blackberry contract, but I would assume that the tethering option is one that you could turn on and off.

3) Finally, to view a web page, say cnn.com, how would the page load time on a laptop using a cable modem compare to a laptop tethered to a EVDO equipped blackberry...

Thanks in advance...

1. Tethering is only available via the USB cable. Bluetooth for sync, headset/car kits.

2. Not sure if you can add/delete EVDO service on a regular basis. I'm sure VZW will allow you to do it once.

3. Download speeds depend on many factors. I don't think comparing Cable/DSL to EVDO is a fair comparison.