PDA

View Full Version : SMS anyone?

celcius
11-26-2005, 09:28 PM
I tried sending an SMS to a friend's cell phone (not a Blackberry) and it seems it can't send it. Can anyone else send an SMS?

Besides voice, all I have is the BB Unlimited plan. I suspect this plan does not include SMS, but want to check with others.

Lex Luthor
11-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I have the 8700r and I am able to send and recieve sms successfully. This is just a wild guess but check your settings. Perhaps the service number for your carrier isn't programmed in or something??? I don't think BB unltd plans from Cingular include sms but you should still be able to send/recieve.

cwosigns
11-26-2005, 10:32 PM
the cingular bb unlimited plan doesn't include text messaging. i had to get a sms package in addition to the bb plan. it gets expensive.

joginder
11-27-2005, 10:39 AM
I was able to do SMS all day and every thing works fine. But when I called Cingular they told me. That it will be 40 cents each then my fingers stopped moving. I already traded 100+ msgs. T-mo is only 5 cents per SMS

richard371
11-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Yea another reason why I want an unlocked device. Cing plans are terrible. .40 a mesg is unreal.

JordanA
11-27-2005, 11:29 AM
My understanding is that when you sign a new contract with Cingular, your first month's text messages are free (or at least this is my scenario). Joginder this may be your saving grace so to speak.

tori888
11-29-2005, 01:32 AM
works fine.

celcius
11-29-2005, 06:09 AM
works fine.
Do you only have a BB Unlimited plan or do you also have a MediaNet bundle (Media Works or Media Basic), or a text messaging option. It is my understanding that the BB Unlimited plan comes with MediaNet, but not SMS (i.e. text messaging). Also, you with Cingular?

celcius
11-29-2005, 01:07 PM
I called Cingular and asked why I couldn't SMS from my BB. She looked at my account (I have voice and BB Unlimited) and she said that she needs to reset the features so it will work. A few minutes later and we tested it and it worked fine.

Wondering what was done I looked at my Plan features and everything was the same except this new line "Text Msg Pay Per Use $0.00".

I assume this means it's 10 cents per message. Since my BB plan is new I can't check my data useage to verify that this is indeed the case, or if it's included with the BB Unlimited plan. Can anyone verify if it really is Pay Per Use?

arche3
11-29-2005, 01:17 PM
yeah.. its 10cents per use. in and out. I do sms to people with cellphones. I recently added a 5 dollar sms plan on cingular. I wonder how reliable sms is. I like PIN because I get a "d" :)

I called Cingular and asked why I couldn't SMS from my BB. She looked at my account (I have voice and BB Unlimited) and she said that she needs to reset the features so it will work. A few minutes later and we tested it and it worked fine.

Wondering what was done I looked at my Plan features and everything was the same except this new line "Text Msg Pay Per Use $0.00".

I assume this means it's 10 cents per message. Since my BB plan is new I can't check my data useage to verify that this is indeed the case, or if it's included with the BB Unlimited plan. Can anyone verify if it really is Pay Per Use?

richard371
11-29-2005, 01:49 PM
so if I have a BB plan only are sms messages .10 or .40?

celcius
11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
so if I have a BB plan only are sms messages .10 or .40?
Should be 0.10. I don't know where you got 0.40 from, even MMS is only 0.25 per. I love it to be included in the BB Unlimited plan, but I don't SMS as much as I email and receive MMS.