PDA

View Full Version : Best BB for a Palm Pre/Treo Refugee

dimi
08-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I tried searching but I could not find the answer to my question partly because I am overwhelmed by the BB model numbers and terminology (with all of my Palm knowledge I have never even touched a BB). I am a lifelong Palm OS guy (back to original Palm Pilot). I just ditched my Treo 755p yesterday for four Palm Pre's. My two teens love theirs but my wife and I are discovering that the Pre is a terrible PDA and we use the PIM features to an obsessive level. All of my research before switching did not show this issue and who would've thought that a Palm Product would not be a good PDA but it is not.

I just switched yesterday from VZW to Sprint to save money (hope the network is acceptable). Can anyone tell me what is the best bet for someone who needs a device that is an excellent phone and is great at presenting all of my Outlook info and email? I really like the Pre entertainment, GPS, and cool factor but it just doesn't work for business. Apparently my choices are 8330 Curve, 8130 Pearl, 8830 (no name?), 8350i Curve, 9630 Tour, or get another Treo (755p or Pro). I would appreciate advice from experts on which is the best phone, PIM, and email with extra features like GPS and sprint tv if possible (not critical).

MidnightDraven
08-16-2009, 12:44 PM
the 9630 tour is the newest BB for sprint.
some of the others are likely to be discountinued at some point.
the 9630 tour also has alot more memory so has room to maneuver as it were.

dimi
08-16-2009, 01:07 PM
the 9630 tour is the newest BB for sprint.
some of the others are likely to be discountinued at some point.
the 9630 tour also has alot more memory so has room to maneuver as it were.

I am saving a lot with Sprint so money is no object as far as handset cost. I want the best feature set I can get. A Pre user also recommended the Tour. The only other one I have heard good things about is the Curve but I guess the Tour does everything the Curve does.

MidnightDraven
08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I didnt mention cost....

The Tour is the newest, and so it has the latest features and will continue being updated and worked on in terms of OS.

dimi
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I didnt mention cost....

The Tour is the newest, and so it has the latest features and will continue being updated and worked on in terms of OS.

Does that mean it is suffering some problems that make it less than ideal or are the problems minor?

Dubdub
08-16-2009, 01:31 PM
The best feature set really depends upon you. What are your needs and requirements and those of your spouse?

Also, changing carriers without doing the homework isn't really a good policy. Saving money does you no good if you have no signal when and where you need it.

I trust you checked out the various carriers and determined that Sprint provided the best service where you use the devices - where you live, work, travel and play? If not, you may find yourself switching again to a more reliable carrier.

MidnightDraven
08-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Does that mean it is suffering some problems that make it less than ideal or are the problems minor?

No.
Blackberry OS's are updated all the time to bring new features, changed coding, reduce the amount memory it takes up etc.
The Tour, being a new device will definately have this available, whereas the older devices may not.

dimi
08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
The best feature set really depends upon you. What are your needs and requirements and those of your spouse?

Also, changing carriers without doing the homework isn't really a good policy. Saving money does you no good if you have no signal when and where you need it.

I trust you checked out the various carriers and determined that Sprint provided the best service where you use the devices - where you live, work, travel and play? If not, you may find yourself switching again to a more reliable carrier.

I switched from SPrint to VZW 3 years ago out of frustration over the network and customer service so i did not switch back lightly and I am not comfortable that I will have a good experience but i heard enough good things from people I trust that it was worth trying.

takeshi
08-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Can anyone tell me what is the best bet for someone who needs a device that is an excellent phone and is great at presenting all of my Outlook info and email?
There's really nothing here that would point you to one model of BB over another. This is core BB functionality and pretty much all the models are the same on these points.

What you need to do is exactly the same thing that anyone picking a BB model needs to do:

1. Compare features on the different models you're considering. Full specs are always available at Blackberry.com. Pick the one with the set of features that suit you best.

2. Compare the devices in store. Many people have a strong preference for one keyboard/form factor/etc over another.