PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Wifi connection thru Verizon Fios

dka
08-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I just switched home internet service to Verizon Fios. Unfortunately, I am not able to get my Curve to connect with the service for Wifi. It sees the router/modem (an Actiontec combined device), takes the WEP key and then continually tries to connect, unsuccessfully. It will say "DHCP server is unreachable." I have tried turning off the WEP encryption on the router/modem and it still won't connect. Tried turning down the security level as well with no success. I used to have Time Warner service and used my own Linksys router and did not have any problems getting a Wifi connection. Does anyone have insights or experience with this? Is it a Port problem on the router? I appreciate your help.

pshift
08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I've went through 3 of those Actiontec modems, They are terrible as far as quality control goes. Are you able to get a wireless connection from another PC? If not, the problem is the modem. Verizon is good at exchanging them (next day shipped), once they determine that it's a modem problem.

Motorcycle Mama
08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
To the OP, what specific model do you have?

Your profile lists the 8830 and T-Mobile, but you are talking about the Curve.

dka
09-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for replying. pshift, I have two different laptops that both work fine through the Actiontec, so it would seem like it has to be something with the Blackberry. A technician from T-Mobile has really tried hard over the phone on multiple occasions to try to find a solution, but we have gotten nowhere. I have even been able to get Verizon to put me on the phone with a Senior Technician at Actiontec who was quite accommodating but feels it has to be something within the Blackberry software since the laptops don't have a problem and the Curve sees the network. To MM, my Curve is an 8230 on T-Mobile; I must have had a brain lapse when typing in my profile.

dka
09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
My Curve is an 8320.

hightack
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I had no problem connecting to my FIOS Actiontec, but could never get on the internet. Everything but my BB would connect and get on. I read some other posts where people had this problem and solved it with adding a wireless access point. I got a Belkin and it connects as soon as I pull up into my driveway.

monkeypaw
09-11-2009, 08:52 PM
There are other settings that help the connection. I think there is a QOS (Quality of service) setting that will automatically prioritize voice packets over regular data. Also there's a way to prioritize the BB so it gets high priority. I use a Linksys wifi router behind the Actiontec because it's easier to set up, but my phone will connect to the Actiontec after I adjusted the settings. It used to be a terrible connection, but once OS 4.5 came out, it improved greatly.

Edit: Here's an old thread where I posted some of the settings I have. I haven't changed the settings since then.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/97221-help-using-uma-8320-a-2.html#post1071536

dka
09-14-2009, 08:06 AM
MP, thanks for the link. I had tried connecting my Linksys through the Actiontec (piggyback) since my Curve had no problem using UMA through that router on my old Time Warner service. Unfortunately, I still had the same issues. I will try to follow your directions on the other thread and report back what I accomplish. Thank you to everyone for all of your thoughts/help.

monkeypaw
09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
MP, thanks for the link. I had tried connecting my Linksys through the Actiontec (piggyback) since my Curve had no problem using UMA through that router on my old Time Warner service. Unfortunately, I still had the same issues. I will try to follow your directions on the other thread and report back what I accomplish. Thank you to everyone for all of your thoughts/help.
Also try this test (from your PC) which checks the quality of the broadband connection.
MySpeed VoIP connection test, VoIP test, test VoIP performance, test VoIP quality (http://myspeed.visualware.com/voip/)

Here's what I get. I have the base Fios connection speed.
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.1 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4806280 bps
Upload speed: 1871920 bps
Download quality of service: 94 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 96 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 93 ms
Average round trip time to server: 95 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5200000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0819179
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 5637416bps

dka
09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Here are my results:
VoIP test Stats
Jitter: you --> server: 1.9ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.3ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
Download speed: 4403176 bps
Upload speed: 15939352 bps
Download quality of service: 8%
Upload quality of service: 93%
Maximum TCP delay: 367 ms
Avg download pause: 7ms
Min round trip time to server: 14 ms
Min round trip time to server: 20 ms
Estimated download bandwidh: 24800000bps
Route concurrency: 5.632298
Download TCP forced idle: 0%
Maximum route speed: 37448568bps

monkeypaw
09-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Here are my results:
VoIP test Stats
Jitter: you --> server: 1.9ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.3ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
Download speed: 4403176 bps
Upload speed: 15939352 bps
Download quality of service: 8%
Upload quality of service: 93%
Maximum TCP delay: 367 ms
Avg download pause: 7ms
Min round trip time to server: 14 ms
Min round trip time to server: 20 ms
Estimated download bandwidh: 24800000bps
Route concurrency: 5.632298
Download TCP forced idle: 0%
Maximum route speed: 37448568bps

What did the overall rating say? Your Download quality of service is 8%. I would think that means you can't keep a good VOIP connection, meaning you couldn't keep a UMA connection.