PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for someone to hack into my Curve?

arishamron
08-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I sure hope somebody can help me with a couple questions.

I have a personal phone (not company-owned) on Verizon. I've been worried, recently, about a couple of things.

(1) When I look at my Gmail account on my desktop computer, I have been noticing several "strange" mobile (RIM) IP addresses listed as accessing my Gmail at times when my BlackBerry is turned off. I'm in a hospital and I have to turn over my BlackBerry during "sleeping hours," so I'm not sure if some nurse is playing with it during the overnight shift OR if somebody from outside (maybe my employer, who is NOT authorized to do so) is checking my email from another location. I know that my IP address on the BlackBerry isn't static (i.e. it can change), but I am absolutely certain that I'm not accessing Gmail at those hours.

(2) Is it possible for somebody (like my employer) to illegally "ping" my BlackBerry to determine my physical location? Remember, I have Verizon, so my GPS is not activated (although I did purchase their GPS service).

(3) Is it possible (as above) for anyone to monitor what I'm looking at when I access the Web from my BlackBerry?

I apologize for having to solicit this help, but I've got nobody else to turn to on these questions. Thanks in advance!

djm2
08-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Welcome to the forum.

If anything is going on, I suspect that it is someone at the hospital playing with it during off hours. Option 2 is not really credible, and monitoring on BIS is highly unlikely unless someone has loaded software onto the phone.

Recommendation: Enable a reasonably complex password and make sure it is locked when turned over to hospital staff.

kirrinjones
08-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Wirelessly posted

1. Nope. My guess is that your phone is in stand-by mode and still does checks for your e-mails. The phone is only off when the battery is out. The changing IP address could be the RIM network.

2. Not your employer (unless you're on their BES). Or unless you have Google Maps or some other app installed.

3. Not that I'm aware of.

We're all here to help you out.

arishamron
08-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks....how do I find out if my phone is in "stand-by mode" and if so, disable it? Also, I DO have the Verizon Wireless GPS app installed - would that make it possible for them to "ping" me?

kirrinjones
08-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Wirelessly posted

Your employee would have no way (that I know of) of pinging you if you're not on their BES server.

Your phone is in "stand-by" mode when you select the turn off icon on your BlackBerry.

However, as I said, the only time your phone is really off is when the battery is out and it has no power source. The other times its just in "stand-by" mode.

tsac
08-23-2009, 03:46 PM
The BB is fully monitored by the BES if your employer is supplying the data interface. You state your on a BIS so that’s out. As for the other monitoring of your access to the web, that is possible but unless your going to sites on the list of sites monitored by government I would not worry.
I do have one question, if you own the BB and pay the bills why do you have to turn over the BB to anyone at night. To me that sounds like your employer does have control and as indicated above by djm2, they may have access. I have never heard of any employer talking control of a cell phone at night.

monkeypaw
08-23-2009, 03:47 PM
If your Gmail account is set up through either BIS or BES, the RIM servers will check for emails. Doesn't matter if the phone is on or off, they'll do their normal checking to see if there are new emails.

djm2
08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I was under the impression that the OP might be in the hospital for recovery purposes.

arishamron
08-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks, folks, for your helpful replies -- but I'm still a bit unclear, what with all the shorthand (BES? BIS? OP?).

I turn my BlackBerry in to the nurse's station at night.

I turn it off (the icon you click on to power off) every time I finish using it and am going to turn it in to the nurses.

If it's still RIM checking, would THAT show up on Gmail's "recent activity" (on the desktop computer) as "mobile access" with an RIM IP address?

Finally, does Verizon's own proprietary GPS service make my phone available to be "ping'ed" by an employer?

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions - I'm so lo-tech it's scary!

djm2
08-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I turn it off (the icon you click on to power off) every time I finish using it and am going to turn it in to the nurses.

Poor security for you. I strongly recommend using a password, and then you'll have no problems.

If it's still RIM checking, would THAT show up on Gmail's "recent activity" (on the desktop computer) as "mobile access" with an RIM IP address?

Quite possibly. How is your gmail set up? If through the BlackBerry Internet Server, then yes it would show up as recent activity. If you get email through the Gmail application installed on the BlackBerry, then the program has to be running to check the email, and the answer would be no.

Finally, does Verizon's own proprietary GPS service make my phone available to be "ping'ed" by an employer?

No

Put a password on the device and you can rest easy.

PS:

BIS -> Blackberry Internet Server, used by most consumers
BES->BlackBerry Enterprise Server, used by many businesses
OP->Original Poster, i.e., you.

usblues1965
08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Wirelessly posted

I would either password protect your BB as stated above , or leave it at home. Since it looks like the only time you are able to use it is while your not at work. If the BB isn't there then there is absolutely no way anyone can mess with it.

Kamau
08-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Do yourself a favor, and do like was mentioned above; give yourself a good & strong password. Better to be safe than sorry.

daphne
08-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't know why the nurses would make you turn over the BlackBerry to them at night. I can see they might want you to turn it off at night so as to not disturb other patients. If it were me, I would question that policy and go all the way to the hospital administrator if necessary. Any personal property belonging to a patient should be kept in a safe, locked, and the patient should have a receipt for it, signed by himself and a staff person who witnessed it being put into the safe.

Even then, your best protection is to put a password on the device as others recommended. Make it complex enough it wouldn't be easily guessed, not your date of birth because they have that in your chart. But not so complex you can't remember it. And set the password time out for a very short time when you turn it over, if you are forced to turn it over.

For the GPS, if it makes you feel better, you can set it to 911 only.

captthomason
08-23-2009, 08:39 PM
I second Daphne's inquiry. Why are you turning over a personal phone to hospital staff?

Dingster1
08-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Yes explain that piece pls

SuperECS
08-24-2009, 10:15 PM
^Because that is a rule. I thought he said that already.

As to the OP, do you use it at all when at the hospital? If not, just leave it at home. If you use it a lot at the hospital, do as others have said and get a strong, solid password.

daphne
08-24-2009, 11:21 PM
It could be the hospital staff takes the BB to prevent it from being stolen from his room. I hope they ensure it doesn't get stolen from the nurses station.

djm2
08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Or it could be to ensure that the patient gets rest as opposed to using the BB throughout the night.

TonyEye
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
all your curve are belong to us

KOR
08-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Well... Are they forcing patients to turn over other types of phones, MP3 players, CD players, newspapers, etc., and pulling the plug on TVs, radios, etc? If not, then why would they need to take the BB? I guess I would tell them thanks, but no thanks, to their offer/demand. Offer to turn it off & pull the batt if there's any concern with data interfering with their systems.

Sounds like they're being draconian because they feel they have their patients at a disadvantage.

darkblueberry
08-26-2009, 01:14 AM
It sounds like someone plugged in to a corporate laptop at one time or another. If so, the BES might be active on your account without your knowledge.

If this is the case, then all activity, including SMS texts, browser history, and call logs could be recorded without your knowledge.

Unfortunately, you will not succeed in determining if this is actually happening. There is no concrete proof available without a court order.

++++++++++

Maybe you could try what I did! I 'had the idea' that 'suspicious behavior' was occurring, so I decided to send around 3500ish SMS texts **to myself** in six months. I 'thought' I was being accessed, but since I could not prove that my phone was put on the Enterprise Server without my knowledge, then all texts, messages, and thoughts I sent to myself could not be brought up in conversation of any kind (if it was happening of course, which nobody knows if it did as it is so difficult to prove).

You could say (text) what you want about anybody or any work situation without fear of retaliation.

Right?

Maybe other people who 'have the feeling' that somebody could even be accessing your computer at home (or your blackberry-this thing IS a computer, isn't it?)... Well why don't you do something about that computer too? Just go home, put up a big notepad right there on the screen for anybody (possibly from work) that 'might' be accessing your personal computer without your knowledge, and type what you want. Just go for it all!

I did the home computer notepad of all of my thoughts for everyone at a previous job (all 'supposedly' of course) so everybody could see, read, and re-read exactly what I though about this 'suspicious behavior'...

++++++++++++

These sound like good ideas, but believe me: this strategy of fighting back these 'suspicious activities' is NOT a good idea AT ALL.

Here's what I learned the very very hard way:

People 'in the IT know' understand how easy it 'could be' to 'hack' into a computer. Online remote access capabilities have been around for decades.

Most people that 'might' be doing this (say-possibly a person in the 'IT know' at your workplace) are not out there to hurt you though (if this is possible of course..). They are only curious and (possibly) checking up every once in awhile to make sure you're not stealing confidential information or committing acts of a criminal nature.

Point blank: If you do what I did, you (could be) in for a nasty roller coaster ride that will crash and burn in the hottest of flames you will ever experience. In the end, you will suffer serious career altering difficulties, not to mention extreme mental anguish, family problems etc. that nobody cares about anyway.

Give them a taste of their own medicine and you will be sicker than ever - I promise, plus nobody will believe you just like you're probably not believing what you're reading right now.

I think you have four options:

1. Cancel your current phone plan and start over with a different carrier. You might as well toss your phone too as you can't change your PIN number anyway. Any computer you logged onto from your phone? Your system32 files have been compromised too so your computer is garbage as well.

2. Text and type notes to yourself on your 'suspicious acting machinery' and suffer incredibly negative consequences like I did.

3. File formal complaints, requests for investigation (this is going to make your life far more miserable than it would be if you start txting/typing notes to yourself)..

OR

4. You could just accept the fact that you can't stop people from doing things like this and move on. Change your passwords frequently. On your B.B. > go into Options, Security, expand and activate all variables of your Firewall. Encrypt all content w strongest settings in security options (you'll see), take the battery out when you want complete privacy, and keep your B.B. Software updated.

I suggest option number four. Loose lips sink ships.

monkeypaw
08-26-2009, 01:36 AM
It sounds like someone plugged in to a corporate laptop at one time or another. If so, the BES might be active on your account without your knowledge.

If this is the case, then all activity, including SMS texts, browser history, and call logs could be recorded without your knowledge.

Unfortunately, you will not succeed in determining if this is actually happening. There is no concrete proof available without a court order.

++++++++++

Maybe you could try what I did! I 'had the idea' that 'suspicious behavior' was occurring, so I decided to send around 3500ish SMS texts **to myself** in six months. I 'thought' I was being accessed, but since I could not prove that my phone was put on the Enterprise Server without my knowledge, then all texts, messages, and thoughts I sent to myself could not be brought up in conversation of any kind (if it was happening of course, which nobody knows if it did as it is so difficult to prove).

You could say (text) what you want about anybody or any work situation without fear of retaliation.

Right?

Maybe other people who 'have the feeling' that somebody could even be accessing your computer at home (or your blackberry-this thing IS a computer, isn't it?)... Well why don't you do something about that computer too? Just go home, put up a big notepad right there on the screen for anybody (possibly from work) that 'might' be accessing your personal computer without your knowledge, and type what you want. Just go for it all!

I did the home computer notepad of all of my thoughts for everyone at a previous job (all 'supposedly' of course) so everybody could see, read, and re-read exactly what I though about this 'suspicious behavior'...

++++++++++++

These sound like good ideas, but believe me: this strategy of fighting back these 'suspicious activities' is NOT a good idea AT ALL.

People 'in the IT know' understand how easy it 'could be' to 'hack' into a computer. Online remote access capabilities have been around for decades.

Most people that 'might' be doing this (say-possibly a person in the 'IT know' at your workplace) are not out there to hurt you though (if this is possible of course..). They are only curious and (possibly) checking up every once in awhile to make sure you're not stealing confidential information or committing acts of a criminal nature.

Point blank: If you do what I did, you (could be) in for a nasty roller coaster ride that will crash and burn in the hottest of flames you will ever experience. In the end, you will suffer serious career altering difficulties, not to mention extreme mental anguish, family problems etc. that nobody cares about anyway.

Give them a taste of their own medicine and you will be sicker than ever - I promise, plus nobody will believe you just like you're probably not believing what you're reading right now.

1. Cancel your current phone plan and start over with a different carrier. You might as well toss your phone too as you can't change your PIN number anyway. Any computer you logged onto from your phone? Your system32 files have been compromised too so your computer is garbage as well.

2. Text and type notes to yourself on your 'suspicious acting machinery' and suffer incredibly negative consequences like I did.

3. File formal complaints, requests for investigation (this is going to make your life far more miserable than it would be if you start txting/typing notes to yourself)..

OR

4. You could just accept the fact that you can't stop people from doing things like this and move on. Change your passwords frequently. On your B.B. > go into Options, Security, expand and activate all variables of your Firewall. Encrypt all content w strongest settings in security options (you'll see), take the battery out when you want complete privacy, and keep your B.B. Software updated.

That's a little paranoid. The only sign of anything is a ping from a RIM server at Gmail, which is what happens with normal operation if the Gmail account is on BIS.

wabbit
08-26-2009, 03:06 AM

++++++++++

Right?

++++++++++++

OR

JUST WOW!

wabbit
08-26-2009, 03:11 AM
I sure hope somebody can help me with a couple questions.

I have a personal phone (not company-owned) on Verizon. I've been worried, recently, about a couple of things.

(1) When I look at my Gmail account on my desktop computer, I have been noticing several "strange" mobile (RIM) IP addresses listed as accessing my Gmail at times when my BlackBerry is turned off. I'm in a hospital and I have to turn over my BlackBerry during "sleeping hours," so I'm not sure if some nurse is playing with it during the overnight shift OR if somebody from outside (maybe my employer, who is NOT authorized to do so) is checking my email from another location. I know that my IP address on the BlackBerry isn't static (i.e. it can change), but I am absolutely certain that I'm not accessing Gmail at those hours.

(2) Is it possible for somebody (like my employer) to illegally "ping" my BlackBerry to determine my physical location? Remember, I have Verizon, so my GPS is not activated (although I did purchase their GPS service).

(3) Is it possible (as above) for anyone to monitor what I'm looking at when I access the Web from my BlackBerry?

I apologize for having to solicit this help, but I've got nobody else to turn to on these questions. Thanks in advance!

do you have an auto timer on the blackberry? like when to turn on and off?

or by any chance ran the self test thing on the device?

SueWNY
08-26-2009, 04:41 AM
No offense, but some of you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. OP said he is a PATIENT in the hospital not an employee. It's not unusual for patients to be asked to leave their valuables at the nurses station at night or when not in use. I know I was asked to do so when I was in the hospital a few years ago. You'd be surprised how common theft is in those places.

OP, it's not possible to disable stand by mode as far as I know, and if it were it would kill your battery life. Just lock your BB every night and password protect it (just don't forget the PW). If you have BIS (data plan) it checks your emails continuously. That's what push mail is all about. So that's probably all you're seeing.

KOR
08-26-2009, 08:21 AM
No offense, but some of you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. OP said he is a PATIENT in the hospital not an employee. It's not unusual for patients to be asked to leave their valuables at the nurses station at night or when not in use. I know I was asked to do so when I was in the hospital a few years ago. You'd be surprised how common theft is in those places.

OP, it's not possible to disable stand by mode as far as I know, and if it were it would kill your battery life. Just lock your BB every night and password protect it (just don't forget the PW). If you have BIS (data plan) it checks your emails continuously. That's what push mail is all about. So that's probably all you're seeing.

I agree that password protecting the device is the way to go, but will point out that OP indicates that they 'have to turn over' the BB, not that they were asked to do so, which is a big difference.

darkblueberry
08-26-2009, 08:21 PM
However, the point still remains that these kinds of activities are possible. If you could, please express your knowledge in detail about corporate personnel improperly accessing personal email and blackberry accounts.

I'd like to know more about what you and others think about these improper and illegal activities. Please be as specific as possible as I attempt to gain a considerable amount of knowledge about these unfortunate and illegal activities that fly 'under the radar'.

Thanks

monkeypaw
08-26-2009, 09:03 PM
However, the point still remains that these kinds of activities are possible. If you could, please express your knowledge in detail about corporate personnel improperly accessing personal email and blackberry accounts.

I'd like to know more about what you and others think about these improper and illegal activities. Please be as specific as possible as I attempt to gain a considerable amount of knowledge about these unfortunate and illegal activities that fly 'under the radar'.

Thanks
You should probably post a different thread. And should explain why you suspect that someone has put your phone on BES.

arishamron
08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Folks - first of all, thank you all for your suggestions, comments, insights, etc. I'm overwhelmed by your support!

Second, I took the suggestion of putting an intricate password on my BlackBerry - and, surprise surprise surprise, I haven't seen any "mobile browser" notations on my Gmail activity since.

Not sure what to think about that - whether the nurses have been foiled in their late-night intrusiveness, or whether the password also kept the employer's intrusiveness at bay. I can't imagine that a password would affect the proposal of SueWNY above ("If you have BIS (data plan) it checks your emails continuously. That's what push mail is all about. So that's probably all you're seeing.")

So, I guess I'm still a little puzzled, even if I'm reassured that I'm not being spied upon at this point.

jsconyers
08-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Darkblueberry, you're very paranoid. There's no denying that. There are ways of telling when your devices was activated on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES).

For one, go to Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation. If it was activated on a BES, it will list the activation date at the bottom of the screen.

Furthermore, go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book. If you're on a BES, you will see Desktop service books.

Also, BES does not log personal email accounts, so that theory of yours is flawed. You should read this article and get a better understanding of what exactly the BES logs before you make any more accusations.

What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection (http://www.port3101.org/port-3101-bes-admin-bar-grill/1223-what-does-bes-see-what-can-tracked-logged.html)

And more importantly, to even be activated on a BES server, your device will need to be provisioned for BES access which is generally at a higher rate than than BIS plan.

djm2
08-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Folks - first of all, thank you all for your suggestions, comments, insights, etc. I'm overwhelmed by your support!

Second, I took the suggestion of putting an intricate password on my BlackBerry - and, surprise surprise surprise, I haven't seen any "mobile browser" notations on my Gmail activity since.

Not sure what to think about that - whether the nurses have been foiled in their late-night intrusiveness, or whether the password also kept the employer's intrusiveness at bay. I can't imagine that a password would affect the proposal of SueWNY above ("If you have BIS (data plan) it checks your emails continuously. That's what push mail is all about. So that's probably all you're seeing.")

So, I guess I'm still a little puzzled, even if I'm reassured that I'm not being spied upon at this point.

Good for you. The main thing that you should do now is be a good patient and recover. Fretting about something going on with your BB is the last thing that you should worry about. Get well.

hackerjoe
09-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I never thought about that but patients are required to turn over devices especially if going into recovery for days following surgery!
I guess they do it for several reasons especially when theres no family to watch your stuff while you're recovering!

I can't see employee's having to have to turn phones over even at night, after all you can just say no sorry I don't have a phone on me. How are they going to know is there a metal detector you have to go through, ha ha ha ...