PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a desktop organizer to sync with Tour?

ACN2009
08-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

I'm on my first Blackberry, and while I love using it, I can't really figure out what the desktop software is supposed to do. It won't synchronize with anything I have on my computer, and when I try to set that I up I get two options with which to sync: ASCII Importer/Exporter, and Yahoo! I've never used/didn't even know I had either of these programs, so I don't want to sync with either of them. I guess I have a few questions:

-What's your favorite desktop software to sync with?
-Can I sync with Google (calenders, tasks, etc), because that's the only software I really use on my desktop
-Once I choose a desktop program to sync with, how do I get it to appear as a
"synchronization option" so that I see it beside Yahoo! & ASCII whatever?
-Is there any "blackberry software"? My Palm came with Palm software and that was great and I used that... the BB seems more personal, but also more confusing.

Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry if this seems really elementary.

ACN

djm2
08-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Welcome.

Most people use Outlook to sync; once that is installed the Desktop Manager software will see that.

I believe there is a google sync option. I don't use it, but others swear by it. I think that it is separate software that is used, but don't quote me on that.

There is nothing like the Palm desktop, which I too used in the past.

rambo47
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Unlike the Palm Desktop Software that included it's own PIM suite, BlackBerry Desktop Manager is designed to connect your device to whatever PIM you're already using. Like djm2 said, there is no contact manager/calendar/notes included in BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Outlook is the most common PIM program used by business professionals and the BlackBerry DM program is designed with using it in mind. Also supported are:
ACT!™ 4.0.2/2000
GroupWise 5.5/6
Lotus Notes 4.5/4.6/5
Lotus Organizer 5/6
Microsoft Outlook 97/98/2000/2002 (XP)
Microsoft Schedule+ 7.5
Microsoft Schedule+ Default

If you're a Mac user you cannot currently run the BlackBerry Desktop manager. In another week or two RIM will be releasing the first ever Mac version of this software. Until then, instead of BlackBerry Desktop Manager you must use either PocketMac (free download from RIM) or Mark/Space's Missing Sync for BlackBerry ($40). Neither is a great solution, especially if you're using a newer Intel-based Mac. You can sync your BlackBerry to iCal/Addressbook or MS Entourage with either of those syncing programs.

takeshi
08-31-2009, 08:18 AM
I'd recommend Outlook as it fully syncs the address book, calendar, notes and tasks. Additionally, everything is designed to sync with Outlook which is handy should you switch devices in the future.