PDA

View Full Version : Why so difficult?

WishingWell
08-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Just got my Bold a few days ago, trying to get started, and everything just seems so difficult. Maybe it is after several years of getting used to Nokia, but it just seems so difficult that I am already regreting the change.

Managed to get my diary, contacts etc synched over, that worked. Then the fun started.

- Desktop Manager shows disconnected. It is connected, I can move files around using Windows Explorer. I check Options - connections. there are two options. USB or none. No help there.
- Media Manager won't start. The 'Start' button is faded out. Just about every button is faded out.
- Device connected shows none - though it is connected. I click on PIN, thinking maybe I need to enter the PIN, but that just takes me back to Connections options- USB or none. No help there.
- maybe I need to update software? Click on update, that just doesn't check if my software is up to date, it just takes me to the website to download the entire software.
- Every time I connect the device it asks if I want to turn on mass storage? How the **** should I know? What does it mean and where does it tell me?
- A friend and I tried to exchange PIN numbers to IM each other. I send them my PIN inviting them to be a contact, they send me theirs. Four hours later, neither has been received.
- I have tried to connect to my wifi, but I cannot figure out if I am browsing in wifi or the phone network. Every time I click on browser it shows GPRS, but I cannot find a way to browse on wifi.

I am sure it is just me being an idiot, but I really just don't get this. Nokia seemed so easy, it was clear when I was on wifi, when on grps; the software connected every time, it was easy to drag and drop files. I really want to give BB a chance, but it all just seems so difficult!
Is there something simple and stupid i am missing?
Please don't tell me just to RTFM. i would do, if there was a FM !!!

Thanks

juwaack68
08-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the forums.

For the Desktop Manager issues:
- Are you on a PC (XP or Vista) or a Mac?
- What version do you have installed?
- Have you tried using a different USB port on your PC, and are you using the USB cable that came with the device (and not one from your digital camera, for example)?

Mass Storage is how you connect so you can see the files on the media/memory card. You can configure that via the Options icon -> Media Card (or Memory).

Can't help with WiFi, but someone else here can for sure.

For the PIN exchange, are you using BlackBerry Messenger for IM?

MidnightDraven
08-31-2009, 10:27 AM
- I have tried to connect to my wifi, but I cannot figure out if I am browsing in wifi or the phone network. Every time I click on browser it shows GPRS, but I cannot find a way to browse on wifi.

If the wi-fi icon is white on the homescreen and not grey, clicking on the browser will usually use that connection.
to check when in the browser, if you see nothing at the top, press U, this toggles the banner and will show you what you are browsing on.

to only ALWAYS use wi-fi, go to options - advanced - browser
change the top default browser from whatever it is to HOTSPOT BROWSER.
this will then only ever use wi-fi.

WishingWell
08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I am on PC, XP, XP home I think.
Yes I am using the cable that came with the BB.

For the PIN, Yes BB messenger - when I go into the IM option, it comes up BB messenger and I can see the message i sent under Pending Contacts.

Thanks again.

WishingWell
08-31-2009, 10:45 AM
If the wi-fi icon is white on the homescreen and not grey, clicking on the browser will usually use that connection.
to check when in the browser, if you see nothing at the top, press U, this toggles the banner and will show you what you are browsing on.

Thanks for this.
Yes the wifi icon is grey, so I guess that means I am browsing on the mobile phone system. I've changed default to hotspot but it still seems to be browsing on GPRS. I've turned all off, then just wifi back on, gone back to browser... in the top right the network indicator shows off, on the left it shows hotspot browser, but wifi is still grey!

MidnightDraven
08-31-2009, 11:47 AM
do you have a blackberry data plan on your account?

also a carrier is the network you are on.

WishingWell
08-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi Midnight,
sorry, what is a data plan?
I guess the language is just different to what I am used to.

djm2
08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Blackberries require a certain type of data plan provided by your telecommunications provider -- it looks like you're with a firm called Matrix. I am not familiar with them. You may need to talk to them and/or visit their web site to see if they have a speacial BlackBerry data plan.

MidnightDraven
08-31-2009, 07:05 PM
a data plan is what gets you the use of email, and internet, including the data for apps.
no data plan: no Blackberry messenger, no push email, no internet via GPRS

wi-fi icon will always be greyed out as a white icon shows connection to BIS (the thing you pay for with the data plan)

takeshi
09-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I am sure it is just me being an idiot, but I really just don't get this.
No -- there's something definitely wrong with your install of Desktop Manager. Which version are you using?

Please don't tell me just to RTFM. i would do, if there was a FM !!!
There's always an FM:
BlackBerry Bold 9000 Series - Manuals and Guides (http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/subcategories/?userType=1&category=BlackBerry+Smartphones&subCategory=BlackBerry+Bold+9000+Series)

However, I don't think it will help much with your problems.