PDA

View Full Version : track ball

fella3
09-03-2009, 04:30 PM
My trackball is messing up, not moving smoothly and sometimes not moving at all. Also the chrome bezel is not chrome anymore. Where can I get a new one and how do you replace it on my 8330 curve

juwaack68
09-03-2009, 04:45 PM
You can get a new one from HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center ß (http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com). They are great to do business with (and also a site sponsor).

To replace the ball and bezel, use a very (very) small, flat screwdriver to gently pry up the bezel. Both the bezel and ball will come out. If you have compressed air, blow a short burst into the hold to get any dirt/dust/yuck out of the hole.

To put the new ball in place, first look a the bottom of the trackball - there is a shape with a 'leg' pointing one direction. Make sure when you drop the trackball into the hole, the 'leg' is pointing towards the space bar.

For the bezel, there are 3 prongs on it. Make sure the prongs are at the bottom, left, and right of the hole. Then pop it into place.

I've had better luck if I gently push down on the right side of the bezel just a little harder then the left when pushing it down into place.

Good luck.

Dubdub
09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Do you carry the device in your pocket? If so, there is probably dirt and/or lint under the ball keeping it from working smoothly.

Turn the device off. Press and hold the ball and then rotate in the direction that it doesn't work. The roll the ball in all directions for about a minute. That should dislodge any dirt and lint. Turn it back on and see if it works. If not, repeat the procedure.

You can also blow some canned air around the ball while pressing down. That also helps.

To clean, dip a q-tip in alcohol and roll the ball with the q-tip. It dries quickly and should clean it.

Finally, get a pouch and do not carry it in your pocket.

fella3
09-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Good advice and I will try all that you mentioned. I don't ever carry in my pocket only on belt clip

craig3010
09-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000, answers to HAL)

Have the same problem with oil from my fingers. Use alcohol on a regular basis. Can't wait for the Onyx!

Lisa8888
10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
I had an issue with my trackball... I went into Verizon and they popped it out and put a new one in for free. Haven't had a problem since!

Zacht
10-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't know if they carry trackballs, but I have gotten several replacement parts for my various blackberry's from this one site. Here's a link to them; BlackBerry Curve Cases (http://www.blackberrysource.com/category/BlackBerry_Curve_8520-Cases.htm). Just navigate to the accessories and see if they have replacement trackballs. I never looked for one, but I know they carry replacement items.