PDA

View Full Version : Disable LED

ROFLsplash
09-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Is there any way to go into the blackberry software/firmware to keep the phone from sending a charge to the LEDs on the top corner? I have a problem with one of the lights staying on, and it messes with the Ambient Light Sensor. The light staying on (with the brightness of the coverage indicator) comes and goes, sometimes the LED even shuts off, and the light sensor works properly. Anyone have any ideas?

MidnightDraven
09-04-2009, 06:09 AM
just disable the coverage indicator?

ROFLsplash
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
just disable the coverage indicator?

The coverage indicator is off. What I meant by that statement is that the LED is on for days at a time (not blinking, it's constantly on. Like when you attach an LED to a battery). All coverage indicators are off

MidnightDraven
09-04-2009, 10:02 AM
ahh. right.
have you tried a battery pull?

that definately isnt normal, and if it isnt fixed with a battery pull, and you can, try and get it exchanged.

ROFLsplash
09-04-2009, 10:05 AM
ahh. right.
have you tried a battery pull?

that definately isnt normal, and if it isnt fixed with a battery pull, and you can, try and get it exchanged.

Tried a battery pull, tried shutting down my blackberry in every possible manner, but the problem persists. As for getting it exchanged, I'd swear AT&T has a personal vendetta against me, I tried to but they said something about them not covering it because they figure it a software issue, and because I have things like 3rd party apps... you get the picture. I even tried to wipe my phone before giving it to them... different guy, same answer.

MidnightDraven
09-04-2009, 10:18 AM
hmm, so you are sure its not a 3rd party app creating it?
theres definately no other software reason it should be doing that.

ROFLsplash
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
I've done device wipes, shouldn't that have gotten rid of all 3rd party apps? I've even tried using a 3rd party program to control when the LED is used (I forget the name) but that didn't even work. Is there nothing in the software's code that controls signals to the LED? If I remove the LED (chop shop) will that effect the blackberry?

MidnightDraven
09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
No idea.
You should harass At&t until they give you a new (or refurbed) device.
Its definately not right and definately not software related.

JSanders
09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Personally, this does sound like a LED problem, like maybe some corrosion or something forcing the LED on. What color is it, constantly? Always the same?

I don't see any harm in clipping the led lead wire.

JSanders
09-04-2009, 10:29 AM
No idea.
You should harass At&t until they give you a new (or refurbed) device.
Its definately not right and definately not software related.

And I agree with ^^ also... if you are in warranty of one year.

ROFLsplash
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
The light is always green. The thing about it is whenever I turn on the device, the red LED comes on, but I can see green in the background (It's ususaly just a spot). Whenever I get a text, the red light blinks and overpowers the green. This is a multicolor LED isn't it?

MidnightDraven
09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
yes it is.
Green is the coverage indicator colour, as well as part of the charging when off colour.

ROFLsplash
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
They only way multicolor LEDs work is by different voltages being put through the LED. So for some reason voltage is constantly going throught the LED?

MidnightDraven
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I dont know know about LEDs but if that is true, then yes it would indicate that being so.

ROFLsplash
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
With that said, would it be possible for me to write a script that will allow me to block certain voltages?

MidnightDraven
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I cant imagine so.
If the hardware is malfunctioning, anything software wont change it.

ROFLsplash
09-04-2009, 11:20 AM
If it is hardware; for the sake of questioning, let's say it's the LED; would I be able to take it out and repalce it? Possibly desolder and resolder?

JSanders
09-04-2009, 11:57 AM
It's not something I could do (that minutia soldering) but perhaps you ... I know I have seen lots of parts for sale, I just don't see an LED just now. Check HorizonWireless.com for one, cnn.cn is another.