PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas and help for an 8350i.

KendallParis
09-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I have completely destroyed a partially destroyed 8350i.

This is my third BlackBerry, so I have some experience with one. I've even successfully completed a wipe before. I wasn't clueless about one until now.

A friend of mine bought a phone from a guy that supplies them to businesses, so it had never been activated. He initially had a Boost SIM in the phone and it was working just fine. At some point, another friend of his tells him about how he can get on the internet and I suppose he was trying to turn it into a BoostBerry.

He says that he was pushing various buttons and at some point, did something that permanently disabled the phone. Every time we went into Manage Connections, the check mark would appear and then disappear quickly. The red X stays there.

I was able to get online through WiFi and I successfully loaded the BoostBerry service books. After I did that, the Maps icon showed up and the icon that previously only said SMS, said SMS and MMS, so from what I could tell, only the phone was broken.

I thought that the problem was due to there being no entries under the Host Routing Tables, but I couldn't get any real assistance from Boost because they don't officially support the BlackBerry and Nextel is saying that the HRT has nothing to do with it and they can no longer troubleshoot a Nextel phone with a Boost SIM.

I was advised to do this:
Options>Avanced Options>Applications>Scroll down to phone and select it>press menu>Edit default permissions:
connections=allow
interactions =allow
user data=allow

But, it didn't get the phone working. At that point, I started looking elsewhere and noticed that the list under BlackBerry 4.6 Core Applications Properties didn't have the two modules that are listed when I looked under phone to change the permissions.

net_rim_bb_phone_api and net_rim_bb_phone_app were missing from the list.

So, I was advised to wipe the handheld, which I did, but the phone still wouldn't work. It did go back to some factory default settings, but not to the point where the phone worked.

At this point, I decided that I would wipe the Berry completely with JL Commander. So, I did and that is where it was completely destroyed. I can't reload the software through the Desktop Manager or by using C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe and installing that way.

In fact, after I tried with the C: prompt, this popped up after it failed: Device communications error encountered. [A:0x0000000F]

So, what can I do now? Is there any hope? Right now, it just says: Reload Software 507.

I doubt that I would be able to do anything under warranty even though the phone is technically a month old. Any suggestions?

JSanders
09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
You've got a few issues going on, but for now the 507 is the one you need to deal with. They way you are doing it is the only way, using loader.exe... just keep at it. Reboot your PC, try again, and make sure you are deleting the vendor.xml as instructed in the Latest OS thread in this section for the 8350.

KendallParis
09-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Okay, thanks for replying. I'll try it.

KendallParis
09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
It keeps ending in: Device communications error encountered. [A:0x0000000F]

Do I just keep trying?

trickred7r
09-08-2009, 02:59 PM
It keeps ending in: Device communications error encountered. [A:0x0000000F]

Do I just keep trying?

I have exactly the same issue right now, have you had any resolve?

JSanders
09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Make sure (both of you) you are connected to a REAR USB port.

Not a hub or monitor port or a front PC port.

trickred7r
09-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Make sure (both of you) you are connected to a REAR USB port.

Not a hub or monitor port or a front PC port.

Yes, that is where I am connected. Using the program loader.exe, and proceeding through the steps as it goes to write the software the phone seems as though it turns off. It then provides the comm error and the phones turns back on to the white 507 screen

KendallParis
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I thought about that and moved to a back USB port. The message then said: HA!HA!HA! You still have a Device communications error encountered. [A:0x0000000F], Sucka!

I guess I'll try another computer tomorrow. Right now, if I could get it back to everything but the phone working, I'd be grateful. There were so many other things that I could use this for, that the phone shouldn't have been this important to me. Carrying two devices just doesn't sound so bad anymore. :cry:

KendallParis
09-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I have a new message: Unspecified error encountered [A:0x00000001]

Am I getting closer or further away?

KendallParis
09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Try the directions in this thread. It may help you. It's a forced reload of the software. I think it may work. Thus far, I've been getting a message box that said:

The device does not have sufficient storage space to accommodate your selections.

Please select fewer optional applications.

At that point, I was trying to load the very bare minimum. I continued to get the message box. I just couldn't figure out why I suddenly didn't have sufficient storage space.

For the heck of it, I put the battery from my old 8700g in and tried again. I attempted the bare minimum and it went through, but then at the end it failed.

When I pulled the battery out and put it back in the 8700, it beeped signaling a low battery. It wasn't fully charged before I put it in, but it wasn't low either.

I wrote all this to say, that under this method maybe you need a fully charged battery and perhaps with the unit being in this perpetual state of nothing, it's battery draining. That could be part of the consistent fatal errors, not enough juice from the battery when trying to revive.

I'm in the process of charging up the 8700 battery and I'll try again.

Here's the thread: How do I Recover a Dead BlackBerry? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com (http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-do-i-recover-dead-blackberry-32322/)

I hope it works for you. And me.

KendallParis
09-09-2009, 05:06 PM
JSanders, I just wanted to thank you for trying to help me revive my 8350. It didn't work, no matter what computer or USB port I used, so I took it to Nextel and they managed to do it.

Any suggestions on how to get the phone to work? It seems like everyone else in the world has been able to simply insert a SIM and the phone works, Nextel or Boost. What could be the problem, since initially, the phone did work? Any clue as to what the previous owner could've done?

beechum1
12-04-2009, 02:34 PM
My 8350i 507'd last night during a DM OS update. Reliable cord, reliable USB out.

It keeps hanging on JVM and software installation (Step 1). It goes back to connection to ROM, Erasing programs, Installation, repeats twice and returns a device communications error [A:0x0000000F] message.

I've tried:

BBSAK wipe with DM OS install
BBSAK wipe with loader.exe OS install
BBSAK wipe with loader.exe /nojvm install (with still hangs on step 1)
BBSAK wipe with Online BB DM OS install
and all of the above without BBSAK wipe.

What causes the hang and solution?