PDA

View Full Version : Trying to temporarily use device while in Germany

mwatts
09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
My son has recently moved to Germany and would like to use his Blackberry there. The current plan is with verizon and we intend to keep that plan open here (he is going to be in Germany for a year and will go back to the verizon plan when he returns) however he would like to use the Balckberry while he is in germany. I know NOTHING about the device and would appreciate any remedial advice anyone could give about how to unlock the device so he can use a german sim card while he is there. Thanks!

dankarlinski
09-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Verizon doesn't use sim cards.. That being said, what phone does he have? Some have the "world phone" option

mwatts
09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for my delay. His device appears to be a Blackberry 8330. I can find no designation on the outside of the phone but found this model number underneath the battery after opening the back.

takeshi
09-10-2009, 09:01 AM
The 8330 won't work in Germany. IIRC, the 8830, 9530 and Tour will if a BB is still desired.

mwatts
09-10-2009, 09:32 AM
That answers my question. Thank you so much for your help!

-M

scuzzilla
09-10-2009, 04:00 PM
If he can't use his own phone and is really desperate to use a BB there: T-Mobile (http://www.t-mobile.de) or take a look at the local Telekom store (usually the only stores in town with a PINK label). :D

They're well known for their good service, mediocre prices and sometimes unfriendly employees. However, still better than Vodafone. :D