PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to get a data plan?

xotakeiteasy
09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I really like the look of the Blackberry Curve 8520 in Frost.

All I want my phone to do is be able to send messages, instant message, receive calls and keep a contact list! Do I really have to get the data plan? I don't want to use the internet or anything like that, I just really love how this phone looks and texting on it is a dream!

Please help me.

I am getting it from T-Mobile

ifonline
09-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Yep. My recommendation: find a different phone.

ezrunner
09-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

On tmobile you are not required to get the dataplan though without you do not reap the full advantage of a blackberry's capabilities

ifonline
09-13-2009, 04:30 PM
True, but this statement suggested to me that a data plan would be required for the OP:

All I want my phone to do is be able to send messages, instant message...

I assume messages = email and instant message = AIM/Yahoo/MSN/etc. If I am wrong, then forget what I said. Well... except for the get a different phone part.

ezrunner
09-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Good point I was assuming txt

Perhaps the OP can clarify

Trimix
09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Actually Tmobile now requires data plans for all new Blackberry devices except for the Pearl and Pearl Flip. This is a new policy that began a few months back.

ezrunner
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Wow shows how not up to date on the wireless industry I am

Sydman
09-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah ATT as well as of Sep 6th is making all their customers have data plans with smart phones.

rambo47
09-13-2009, 10:20 PM
It's the future. Sprint sent up a "trial balloon" with the Palm Pre requiring an Everything Data Plan "to get the best Pre experience". We all know what it's really about - $$$. And the publicity black eye the carriers get every time some tosser racks up a huge data bill and whines about it. "But......but......but.....I didn't know......Waaaaaaaa!!"

BBSwany
09-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I really like the look of the Blackberry Curve 8520 in Frost.

All I want my phone to do is be able to send messages, instant message, receive calls and keep a contact list! Do I really have to get the data plan? I don't want to use the internet or anything like that, I just really love how this phone looks and texting on it is a dream!

Please help me.

I am getting it from T-Mobile

You can do everything with a BlackBerry except the IM without a data plan. I actually started using a BB without a data plan for the same reason. But a data plan really brings out the versatility of the device. I just had a friend activate a data plan and now he sees the value.
Having said that. I don't think it is possible to have the Curve 8520 without a data plan. As some have said, T-Mobile now requires a data plan on most BBs.

Trimix
09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

The only way around it would be to purchase an unlocked device on your own. Then you wouldn't be forced to get a data plan.