PDA

View Full Version : BB in the Dominican Republic

emsdavid
12-01-2005, 07:00 AM
MArk, I am writing this in hopes you answer because you are my last hope. I am new to this forum stuff so I may not be using protocol but I am just frustrated and lost. I have a story to tell:
1. I have a 7290 that was Suncom (Cingular) and I had it unlocked at Bongowireless. They said email may not work.
2. I live in the Dominican Republic where my local provider for GPRS is Orange.
3. I checked and Orange sells the BB7290 in France and claims roaming for its customers to other ORange networks
4. I have several friends who have Cingular BB units and they get their emails when they travel here to see me.
5. Orange in the DR does NOT sell Blackberry's. I am sure they would set up in their system a config to help me if I could tell them where and how
6. The APN for Orange here is orangenet.com.do and there is no need for username or password.
7. I went to the Orange service in my country yesterday and the customer service people looked at me with Blank eyes since they have never seen a Blakcberry before. They were looking at the unit for a configuration of emails using incoming and outgoing POP3 settings like my old Treo. They couldn't find it in my Blackberry
Well here I am stuck with no way to get my POP3 emails into my Blackberry. Is there any solution out there? I would even pay.

NJBlackBerry
12-01-2005, 07:12 AM
I split your thread out because it did not belong as a reply.

If you are in a country that does not support BlackBerrys, and does not have a viable BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) setup, you will not be able to set up a POP3 e-mail account. Sorry.

Mark Rejhon
12-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Well here I am stuck with no way to get my POP3 emails into my Blackberry. Is there any solution out there? I would even pay.You're stuck unless you're willing to pay for a foreign carrier.

You will have to pay roaming charges, but if you are willing to pay (i.e. have the money) -- I see why not, if you want to stick with the BlackBerry. May be much more expensive than Treo, though.

If you are a citizen of the US, there are Unlimited International plans available with some North American carriers. However, they weren't meant to be used if you travel outside of US more than 6 months of the year...

emsdavid
12-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks. I thought that since they let Cingular units roam and get emails, and Orange France has BB service that they must have the software here even though they do not sell the units.

Mark Rejhon
12-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks. I thought that since they let Cingular units roam and get emails, and Orange France has BB service that they must have the software here even though they do not sell the units.Unfortunately, that's a mistaken assumption.

You must go through a carrier that supports BlackBerry because they need to provide you with a BIS account with a @<hidden> email address. Without this, the BlackBerry refuses to even connect to the data network.

Essentially, you can roam on non-BlackBerry GPRS carriers -- only through a different carrier that supports BlackBerry.

Orange France uses a different system, the fact that the Dominician Republic APN ends in ".do" tells me that it's essentially behaving like a totally separate carrier from Orange France. That would be your important clue that you are out of luck and must switch carriers if you still want to keep using your BlackBerry.