PDA

View Full Version : SMS via Phone - from computer

WarrickF
09-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi All,

My mom lives out in South Africa. The only real way to stay in touch with her is via SMS (the Internet connection where she lives is terrible).

It's a real distraction during the day to have to pick up my phone and reply to her text messages.

Does anyone know if there's desktop software that essentially turns your text messages into an IM client. I'd love to be able to write her a message on my computer and send it via the phone and when she replies, see it on my computer.

Thanks
Warrick

texasPI
09-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Google Voice can do this but its still in beta and is invite only. you can sign up at www.google.com/voice and see if you get an invite.

saxophone
09-30-2009, 08:46 AM
There are so many options to get proper internet signal in SA.
There are numerous wireless service providers
it seems crazy that she cant get internet and then you could talk on Skype for free.
Where exactly does she live?

jsconyers
09-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Use the SMS to Email gateway. You will need her number which you have, and her carrier. Here is a list: Email to SMS Gateways, Complete List | mutube (http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/)

WarrickF
09-30-2009, 09:01 AM
She lives out in Sundra, Mpumalanga, the signal is very unreliable. Not sure who her provider is - I've just asked. She's disabled and spends a lot of time in bed, so it's not easy for her to get to\work with a computer - far easier to simply text one another.

WarrickF
09-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks. Using the SMS gateway is not a bad option. Checking what provider she has now.

WarrickF
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
She's using Cell C - and it doesn't look like they have an Email gateway. It's also a problem when she initiates the conversation and I just want to reply. Still think I desktop IM like application would be a good idea.

jsconyers
09-30-2009, 09:55 AM
This may be of some help: » CellC sms via wap - defZA.com (http://www.defza.com/wordpress/mobile-cellphone/cellc-sms-via-wap)

saxophone
09-30-2009, 11:52 AM
unfortunately cell c do not have Blackberry otherwise you could have got her a BB and just used BBM this too would be free.

She should try see if she could change to Vodacom who I am sure have a better signal in the area.

She should try see if she can get some sort of 3G modem for the computer also through Vodacom - these tend to work well.

if all else fails try the sms solutions suggested

Kopter
09-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I regularly IM my sons (they both have Pearls) using my desktop IM client; Pidgin (which has Yahoo and AIM buddy lists). I simply entered their Pearls' number as a 'buddy' using the +1 prefix followed by the area code and number. Now NO, this doesn't convert MY texts sent via blackberry into a desktop client IM but it does the trick. Interestingly, if I open AIM on my device, i get the best of both worlds. I IM my sons from my device via AIM, they receive it as a text, they reply and i receive it on both my desktop AND my device. I can respond either via my desktop OR via my Storm.
(Most times however, i just BBM them) But this works when i am in the middle of a conversation via desktop and have to leave the office.. i pickup the conversation on my storm.
Make sense?

angieth08
09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
I'd love to be able to write her a message on my computer and send it via the phone and when she replies, see it on my computer.

Read about Quicker SMS here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/169545-new-software-quicker-sms-blackberry-launched.html

Not sure if it will do exactly what you need, but it's a step in the right direction and the vendor explains it very well in the link I'm posting.

miamirulz29
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
AIM can do this. Go onto AIM, when you are about to IM her, click send text message instead.

WarrickF
10-01-2009, 11:50 AM
You guys rock. QuickerSMS is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you!

Simon Freeman
01-21-2010, 04:43 AM
WarrickF - Did you try QuickerSMS - is it good, reliable etc. I haven't been able to find any reviews of it. - Does anyone else use it. - Simon

monkeypaw
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
WarrickF - Did you try QuickerSMS - is it good, reliable etc. I haven't been able to find any reviews of it. - Does anyone else use it. - Simon
It says it's shareware so seems like you could demo it for a limited period or with limited functionality.

Simon Freeman
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Monkypaw - thanks - I don't like to try things that are not well recommended as I am not knowledgeable to fix my BB or PC if they gets messed up - also can't seem to find much sign of it on the web since july and only one reasonably moderate positive review - so if anyone out there uses it, likes it and finds it reliable, I'd like to hear - Simon