PDA

View Full Version : Importing US 8700c into the UK

tug
12-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi, I'm considering buying an 8700c via Ebay and importing it into the UK. I'm new to BlackBerrys so I need some advice!

Will I be able to unlock a Cingular 8700c and drop a UK SIM in it?

Are there any mechanisms that would detect that I'm using another carrier's device in the UK then prevent me from using it?

If it makes any difference, we're using BES.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

nb_mitch
12-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I thought I have seen some posts about them in France (8700f), wouldn't it be easy to take the train through that tube under the channel and pick one up and maybe avoid some huge trariffs and duty taxes?

tug
12-06-2005, 04:29 AM
I thought I have seen some posts about them in France (8700f), wouldn't it be easy to take the train through that tube under the channel and pick one up and maybe avoid some huge trariffs and duty taxes?

Thanks for that, I didn't know about the 8700f.

I'm still wondering though if there is some kind of network check that would prevent a 'foreign' 8700c from working in the UK (apart from the SIM lock).

Regards.

xombi
12-06-2005, 07:31 AM
If it was BIS, not only would the device need to be unlocked but the PIN and IMEI would need to be removed of the French networks systems and registered on the network's systems in the UK before you could set up a BIS email account in order to receive email, I'm not sure how it would work with BES but would imagine the network would have a similar check.

saldous
12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
My company is in the US and they are sending me a replacement BB8700 as my old 6280 has died. I currently have an AT&T SIM and use it for data only. I'm hoping I can drop in my O2 SIM and use it for data and voice. Time will tell. I hope to have it before the end of the week. (We have a BES server)

tug
12-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Perfect Saldous, any chance you could post here and let me know how you get on?

Regards.

saldous
12-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Will do.

saldous
12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Don't worry, not forgotten about this. My device hasn't arrived yet. It sounds like it will be locked though but a quick call to International customer services will unlock it for free. Will get back to you when I have it.

saldous
12-13-2005, 08:44 AM
It has arrived.... :smile:
But I was not in when it was delivered so my next door neighbor has it, but when I got back they are out (n)

Hopefully get it later today.

saldous
12-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Yippeeee. I've got it. Am I the first person in the UK to have the new BlackBerry 8700c?!! :-)

I must say, it is a very very nice device. So far I've connected to my BES using my old AT&T SIM, I'm about to try my O2 UK SIM in a few minutes.

The screen is gorgeous, and it feels much smaller than my old 6280.

It feels solid and well built, I have to say though that there appears to be one spec of dust under the screen already, it has only been out the box 5 mins!

More to follow...

nb_mitch
12-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Do you connect to a browser and get/send email? Are you sure it is dust and not a teardrop ;)

saldous
12-14-2005, 02:16 PM
I use BES for my email.

Yes, the bad news is that the device is locked and won't accept my UK O2 SIM card. I'm trying to get it unlocked but Cingular are not playing ball saying my contract is from the "blue side" and they won't help. Any ideas?

nb_mitch
12-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I would think it really doesn't matter which side your contract is with, orange or blue. I assume AT&T is not your current provider, or is it? You may just have to pay to get it unlocked, but I would try going through your company people that got you the BB to begin with. Maybe they know who to talk to.

Maybe he can help you?

I'm on Cingular, and have the 8700c. I just faxed my receipt to the international dept. to get mine unlocked. I'll post an update when I get the email.

Thanks very much you all.

Or maybe this one:

i bought my 8700c while in the States last week. At the same time, I am a Cingular customer. The sales rep told me I copuld easily get it unlocked at www.gsmlocker.com I have paid the fee, and they responded yesterdy telling me they need 24-48hrs. Waiting to hear back.......

projectorkid
12-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Yippeeee. I've got it. Am I the first person in the UK to have the new BlackBerry 8700c?!! :-)

I must say, it is a very very nice device. So far I've connected to my BES using my old AT&T SIM, I'm about to try my O2 UK SIM in a few minutes.

The screen is gorgeous, and it feels much smaller than my old 6280.

It feels solid and well built, I have to say though that there appears to be one spec of dust under the screen already, it has only been out the box 5 mins!

More to follow...

I had mine on the 28th November. See postings by me re unlocking it. It works perfect here in the UK, a bit tricky getting the unlock codes in though.

gromitjc
02-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Just an FYI, the 8700f has a French AZERTY keyboard.

The 8700g must be available from T-Mobile UK by now though.