PDA

View Full Version : quick call in phone mode

Pstmstr
12-03-2005, 08:15 AM
On my old 7290, when in phone mode I could enter the first few letters of a name and pick from the list to call. Now I have to click the wheel, call from address book, pick the name, then call. Every time I try to enter just a letter while in the phone mode, it jumps to the top and tries to enter it as part of a number, I've searched the help on the device and user guide but can't seem to find how to get it back like it used to be. Anyone know how?

rcbjr
12-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Press and hold the green phone button (Send Key) from any screen. This will do what you want.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

auser
12-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Press and hold the green phone button (Send Key) from any screen. This will do what you want.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Thanks..thats a nice tip.

Pstmstr
12-03-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't think I explained my situation well enough. I have an upgraded 7290 with the latest software version. In version 3.8, while in phone mode, you could just start entering letters and it would bring up as choices all address book entries with those letters in it. Now, I try to do this, the cursor jumps to the top of the screen in phone mode and tries to enter a number. Any suggestions? Thanks.

rcbjr
12-03-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't think I explained my situation well enough. I have an upgraded 7290 with the latest software version. In version 3.8, while in phone mode, you could just start entering letters and it would bring up as choices all address book entries with those letters in it. Now, I try to do this, the cursor jumps to the top of the screen in phone mode and tries to enter a number. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Again, press and hold the Send key until the contact list appears, then start typing as yod did with the 7290, it works the same, with each additional letter the list converges on the contact you want.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear earlier.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Seattle18
12-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Again, press and hold the Send key until the contact list appears, then start typing as yod did with the 7290, it works the same, with each additional letter the list converges on the contact you want.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear earlier.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Nice tip for us noooobs! More convenient than trackwheel to address book, click, type, trackwheel, call.

Pstmstr
12-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Sorry to be such a pain, I have the 7290, the only difference is upgraded software, it doesn't do that like it used to and there is no dedicated send key. It only has the phone button on top. I used to be able to press that, start entering letters, call, and be done. Now, the cursor jumps to the top line and tries to enter a phone number. Any ideas what to do on the 7290 to change this, is it something different about version 4.02.49 that prohibits this? Does it have anything to do with numbers being stored in speed dial?

rcbjr
12-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Sorry, I mis-read, thought you were talking about the 8700. I don't understand why you lost this capability. I just checked my old 7290, with 4.0.2.49 and it still works as you desire. If you haven't tried it yet try the cold reboot (remove the battery for 15 seconds.)

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Pstmstr
12-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Still no go, I have got everything working great on the upgrade except this one thing. It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

rcbjr
12-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Still no go, I have got everything working great on the upgrade except this one thing. It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

---

Well, I can only suggest trying to reinstall the OS again.

Sorry

Pstmstr
12-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I finally figured it out and it was so simple it is scary. Under phone, options, general options, phone list view, I changed it from call log to most recent. Works like a charm.

Mahal
12-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I finally figured it out and it was so simple it is scary. Under phone, options, general options, phone list view, I changed it from call log to most recent. Works like a charm.Thank you. I have been trying to figure this out for the longest time.. And it looks like "Call Log" is the only setting that disables this functionality.

jcalchi
12-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Another trick is to put your curser in the log list and then type. It'll do what you're wanting. If its in the number field, it thinks you're trying to dial.

jcalchi
12-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Another trick is to put your curser in the log list and then type. It'll do what you're wanting. If its in the number field, it thinks you're trying to dial.

Mahal
12-05-2005, 11:58 PM

Another trick is to put your curser in the log list and then type. It'll do what you're wanting. If its in the number field, it thinks you're trying to dial.Yeah but the problem is if the "Phone List View" setting is "Call Log", typing in the log section will not bring up a list of names.

All the other settings search your address book when you start typing while on the log list.

tysmith
08-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I realize this is an old post, but this feature is NOT available in 4.1, so if you like this feature as many of us do, do not upgrade to 4.1 because there is no "quick fix" like changing the phone list setting in the general option in the new firmware.

I am very irritated that I upgraded and am going to go back to the old firmware. It turned me from a bb fan to a frustrated bb user, which is a HORRIBLE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE.

Ty