PDA

View Full Version : a canadian in new york

mermaidadrift@gmail.com
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
i am canadian but in the US for a week. my 8900 (curve) broke just before i got on the plane. but broke i mean screen kaput. someone stepped on it (not me). can i just buy a replacement card in NY and slip my sim card in it and voila it works??? please let me know - i am lost without it - especially hard not posting photos to facebook of my adventures!!

thanks!!
:?

rambo47
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
You can buy an unlocked BB in New York, insert your SIM card, enter the PIN and IMEI on your Rogers BIS page, and register it with the network. You won't have your contacts or calendar data, but you'll have a working BlackBerry.

mermaidadrift@gmail.com
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I'M ON BES - SOmeone in my office here can transfer all the info for me. just wanted to make sure it will work. how do i get an unlocked phone?

is it better for me to call my rep in canada and ask them to send me a replacement? just thinking about cost - when you do dumb things like stepping on the phone, the company won't pay for it.....

rambo47
10-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Probably best to get one sent from your company, even if you have to pay for it. The only sure way to get one unlocked would be to order it from a reputable dealer like Horizon Wireless (www.horizonwirelessonline.com). You could always try to pick one up from Craigslist or some other setup like that, but more times than not you'll get a dead/stolen/misrepresented one and be right back where you started from - without a working BlackBerry. Only now you'll be out whatever you paid the scammer you found on Craigslist.

You might be able to scan the forums here or on Howard Forums for a seller in NYC that has a history on the forum. That's your best bet for avoiding a scam in a private deal.

In any event, the new device will have to be activated on the corporate BES by your admin team.

mermaidadrift@gmail.com
10-12-2009, 02:56 PM
thank you rambo! i will wait until the holiday is over in canada tomorrow and see how fast they can get me a replacement. i've only had it for two weeks so it's a bit embarrassing....

hrbuckley
10-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Don't worry. The guy in the next cubical to mine smashed his screen in the first couple of weeks. It happens.