PDA

View Full Version : Track Stolen Blackberry

Dagere
10-12-2009, 07:45 PM
My blackberry went missing a few days ago, but my friends are saying im online via the BB messenger. If i have the pin for my device, can i not track whoever has it somehow? can the cops or Rogers locate it for me?

Dagere
10-12-2009, 07:46 PM
i should specify it was offline after it dissapeared, but now it is back online

Dubdub
10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't think that is possible. There is a GPS add on app that you can put on the device that will help locate it, similar to the iPhone, but it can't be installed once the device is out of your control.

In the meantime, make sure that you reported it to your carrier. You are liable for all charges up until you report it.

Thatzmister2u
10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
i should specify it was offline after it dissapeared, but now it is back online

Just send a PIN stating that you have GPS tracking loaded and have the coordinates from the last few days recorded and if they don't agree to return it you have already contacted the police and will provide them with the tracking info. Might scare a kid into coughing it up. Otherwise, they will turn it off and toss it. Sorry for the loss!

Dubdub
10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Just send a PIN stating that you have GPS tracking loaded and have the coordinates from the last few days recorded and if they don't agree to return it you have already contacted the police and will provide them with the tracking info. Might scare a kid into coughing it up. Otherwise, they will turn it off and toss it. Sorry for the loss!

An interesting idea to say the least. Just might work!

Dagere
10-12-2009, 11:27 PM

I'm going to try that, see if that works.

WebFox
10-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (9000)

Too bad that carriers are not willing to help in case of a stolen phone.
In the Netherlands it is verry common that the emergency services locate your mobile phone when you call them. They get a pretty accurate location from cell-towers only.
You should think that there must be a way to get the person who has your phone if your carrier tracks the location for a while...

takeshi
10-13-2009, 09:23 AM
It's really not worth the hassle. A lost device and and a life-and-death situation are orders of magnitude different.

There are, as stated above, tracking solutions but you have to set them up beforehand. I recommend keeping a password on your device to keep data private and regularly syncing/backing up. Even with a tracking solution I doubt you're likely to recover a device (battery can be pulled, device can be wiped, etc etc).

grepPZ
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I would be curious to know if the scare tactic worked! Carriers have no incentive to help you here. They would love for you to buy new device.

btw, here's an entertaining incident on this topic: happywaffle.livejournal.com/5890.html

lbrty9
10-22-2009, 09:52 PM
So what are some of these tracking apps?