PDA

View Full Version : Phone Rings Only Three Times

grilla
12-04-2005, 12:54 AM
My 8700 only rings three times when i get a phone call. I cant imagine this is the norm for this phone, and if it is this is something that needs to be fixed. is anyone else seeing this problem?

d_fisher
12-04-2005, 01:25 AM
I believe that this is normal. After 3 rings, the call goes to voicemail.

likefre
12-04-2005, 01:47 AM
My 8700 only rings three times when i get a phone call. I cant imagine this is the norm for this phone, and if it is this is something that needs to be fixed. is anyone else seeing this problem?
there's a way to fix this ;

To change the number of rings before the call transfers to the voicemail system, follow these steps (cingular):
On your phone dial:

*61*+1XXXXXXXXXX*11*tt#

Where XXXXXXXXXX is your market's VM number and tt is the time in seconds you want the phone to ring for. I believe valid range is 1-30!

remember tu use the + right before your voicemail number. Do not input more than 30 seconds because you could have some problems of calls never reaching voice mail. I have done performed this procedure succesfully on my company's wireless lines. I've had all of them configured for 30 seconds for the past 2 years.
Just type it in and hit send/call and you should get some sort of confirmation message. Then try it. I believe the default setting is 15 seconds.

I hope this helps

Seattle18
12-04-2005, 02:31 AM

To change the number of rings before the call transfers to the voicemail system, follow these steps (cingular):
On your phone dial:

*61*+1XXXXXXXXXX*tt#

Where XXXXXXXXXX is your market's VM number and tt is the time in seconds you want the phone to ring for. I believe valid range is 1-30!

remember tu use the + right before your voicemail number. Do not input more than 30 seconds because you could have some problems of calls never reaching voice mail. I have done performed this procedure succesfully on my company's wireless lines. I've had all of them configured for 30 seconds for the past 2 years.
Just type it in and hit send/call and you should get some sort of confirmation message. Then try it. I believe the default setting is 15 seconds.

I hope this helps

Tried it and got: Supplementary service error: Bearer service not provisioned. I dialed the number, then hit "send" and got the error - is this wrong?

grilla
12-04-2005, 08:13 AM
what does vm stand for, and how do i find it?

stevew
12-04-2005, 08:51 AM
what does vm stand for, and how do i find it?

VM=Voicemail...how do you find voicemail? Not sure what you mean...

tcugrilla
12-04-2005, 08:54 AM
i had a senior moment and didnt figure out voice mail. maybe it was too easy :).

likefre
12-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Tried it and got: Supplementary service error: Bearer service not provisioned. I dialed the number, then hit "send" and got the error - is this wrong?
try it this way

*61*+1XXXXXXXXXX*11*tt#

the "11" stands for voice calls, this is how i've always done it; it should work
sorry i missed the *11*
also make sure you use just one "1" before the vm area code

mightyeric
12-04-2005, 09:53 AM
I tried this and got this message:

Call forwarding No Reply:
Telephony forwarded to +1XXXXXXXXXX

where XXXXXXXXXX is my voicemail #. Does this sound right?

pavirginia
12-04-2005, 10:04 AM
if you call cingular they will change this for you on there end... I do it on all of my cingular phones.

likefre
12-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I tried this and got this message:

Call forwarding No Reply:
Telephony forwarded to +1XXXXXXXXXX

where XXXXXXXXXX is my voicemail #. Does this sound right?
Perfect!

likefre
12-04-2005, 10:06 AM
if you call cingular they will change this for you on there end... I do it on all of my cingular phones.
true, but this way you can change it anytime you want, no need to be on hold for 30 minutes wishing you get a rep that knows how to do this.. :smile:

stevew
12-04-2005, 12:33 PM
*61*+1XXXXXXXXXX*11*tt# doesn't work on Rogers in Canada...anyone know if these is a sequence that does? I also get the supplementary service error message with that sequence.

likefre
12-04-2005, 12:35 PM
*61*+1XXXXXXXXXX*11*tt# doesn't work on Rogers in Canada...anyone know if these is a sequence that does? I also get the supplementary service error message with that sequence.
this is confirmed to work on cingular, i have no idea if it works on rogers

likefre
12-04-2005, 12:54 PM
From what i have read this sequence does none work on rogers, and there's not that work at this time,(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
Users have had success with the *61* sequence without the vm number, but basically what this accomplishes is an increase in the number of rings before the call gets cut off, so it would be usefull for customers without vm in their accounts

stevew
12-04-2005, 12:59 PM
From what i have read this sequence does none work on rogers, and there's not that work at this time,(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
Users have had success with the *61* sequence without the vm number, but basically what this accomplishes is an increase in the number of rings before the call gets cut off, so it would be usefull for customers without vm in their accounts

Correct, that does work as I remember using it before I had VM...Oh well, that's life I guess in Canada for now.

ams mike
12-04-2005, 01:02 PM

On your phone dial:

*61*+1XXXXXXXXXX*11*tt#

I have cingular and worked for me. thanks (y)

likefre
12-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Correct, that does work as I remember using it before I had VM...Oh well, that's life I guess in Canada for now.
have you tried to contact rogers to see if they can adjust it from their end?

stevew
12-04-2005, 01:05 PM
have you tried to contact rogers to see if they can adjust it from their end?

Will try that tomorrow!

gregg
12-04-2005, 02:37 PM
try it this way

*61*+1XXXXXXXXXX*11*tt#

the "11" stands for voice calls, this is how i've always done it; it should work
sorry i missed the *11*
also make sure you use just one "1" before the vm area code

Hmm.. I get the "Supplementary service error: Unknown error." on Cingular blue???

RochesterBBOwner
12-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Word of warning....This code screwed up two of my phones. I had to call Cingular to rectify. The first was my 7290 voicemail. People would call, and would be asked to enter a password - not the normal greeting. The second, and I admit I took a chance here - was on my wife's Moto Razor V3. I used the same code. Same issue. So, I'll take the wrap for the second one, but not the first - OK? :-)

I can not imagine that this code only works on the 8700C, which I do not have yet.

My advice - do not use it.

BTW - The woman at Cingular was an absolute pleasure to work with on this issue. She was patient, and did not let me go until evrything was tested and worked. So, not all is bad with Cingular.

likefre
12-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Word of warning....This code screwed up two of my phones. I had to call Cingular to rectify. The first was my 7290 voicemail. People would call, and would be asked to enter a password - not the normal greeting. The second, and I admit I took a chance here - was on my wife's Moto Razor V3. I used the same code. Same issue. So, I'll take the wrap for the second one, but not the first - OK? :-)

I can not imagine that this code only works on the 8700C, which I do not have yet.

My advice - do not use it.

BTW - The woman at Cingular was an absolute pleasure to work with on this issue. She was patient, and did not let me go until evrything was tested and worked. So, not all is bad with Cingular.

Im sorry you had problems but i've done this with no problems whatsoever on samsung x497, bb7290 (3 of them), moto v3, samsung p777, bb 8700 (2 of them), nokia 6230, moto v551 among others.

mobilehavoc
12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
FYI...these are standard GSM * codes that should be supported on all GSM handsets and all GSM Carriers.

Either some of you are entering them in wrong or for some bizzarre reason your carrier has decided not to support them - which IMHO would be the most retarded decision yet.

Look here for more info:
http://www.geckobeach.com/cellular/secrets/gsmcodes.asp
OR
http://www.arcx.com/sites/GsmFeatures.htm

:)

BB8700C
12-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Hmm.. I get the "Supplementary service error: Unknown error." on Cingular blue???

Mine say "Supplementary service error: Unexpected data value.

BB8700C
12-07-2005, 03:31 PM
i just called cingular they changed mine for me to ring for 1 minute :razz: (y)

bpdunsta
12-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I know this is a dumb question, but how do I find my "market's VM number"?

If it helps, I live in Chicagoland.

likefre
12-07-2005, 07:08 PM
I know this is a dumb question, but how do I find my "market's VM number"?

If it helps, I live in Chicagoland.

PRESS AND HOLD 1 to access your voicemail and notice the number it dials, that's the vm number for your market

gregg
12-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Ok, so I figured out I was using the wrong # for my market # & tried again. This time I get a "Supplementary service error: Incompaible service" error. Anyone have any suggestions?

RochesterBBOwner
12-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Ok, so I figured out I was using the wrong # for my market # & tried again. This time I get a "Supplementary service error: Incompaible service" error. Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes - instead of spending this much time trying to get some code to hopefully work (again, it screwed up two of my phones) - just call Cingualr to have the ring time/number be longer. People are spending way too much time on something that Cingular can solve in a short phone call.

Good luck.

gregg
12-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Yes - instead of spending this much time trying to get some code to hopefully work (again, it screwed up two of my phones) - just call Cingualr to have the ring time/number be longer. People are spending way too much time on something that Cingular can solve in a short phone call.

Good luck.

I don't disagree, however, I like to mess around with stuff. Besides, last time I had to call Cing I got stuck with a guy from India that took 5 minutes to figure out my name & phone number......

likefre
12-08-2005, 10:35 AM
I don't disagree, however, I like to mess around with stuff. Besides, last time I had to call Cing I got stuck with a guy from India that took 5 minutes to figure out my name & phone number......
Same here, in fact, why do I do it and not call cingular to do it? well i remember the first time i inquire about this issue cs told me that that cannot be done, that it would mess up my voicemail, he even suggested that if i needed longer ring times, that i should remove the voicemail feature from my account, then i found this "code", so if i can do it myself without having to call some clueless cs rep and spend 30 minutes with them just to be transfer 5 times until they find someone that has the knowledge to do it, i will do it myself.

djsouthpaw
12-08-2005, 10:35 AM

You must have dialed the wrong number then because they dont have CS in India. They are all located in the USA.

Anyways, jjust call CS and have them "change the ringtime". By default, it is set to 15 seconds which is about 3 rings. 25 seconds is the max Cingular will normally do. Just call them. :enter:

likefre
12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
You must have dialed the wrong number then because they dont have CS in India. They are all located in the USA.

Anyways, jjust call CS and have them "change the ringtime". By default, it is set to 15 seconds which is about 3 rings. 25 seconds is the max Cingular will normally do. Just call them. :enter:
maybe 25 sec is the max that cingular will do, but the max that can be achieve by doing it yourself is 30 seconds

djsouthpaw
12-08-2005, 10:40 AM
They can do longer but you have to understand that the call is considerd connected after 30 seconds thats why they dont set it any further. I know.

takeshi
03-10-2006, 09:11 AM
I've never had problems adjusting the ring time with any of my Cingular or T-Mobile devices. Certainly I've never had a device adversely affected. The change takes maybe a minute or two as most which definitely beats a customer service call to any carrier. I can't say why some people are having problems but if you are experiencing issues your carrier can of course take care of this for you.

As for the voicemail number, you can also go to the phone app and in options you can view/edit your voicemail number.

Koperry
03-10-2006, 09:19 AM
I had the same message on mine but called from another phone and got about 6 rings before going to voicemail, used to be 3-4 rings

casmer
03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I was having issues with the instructions above, but found this other thread (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=25987&highlight=ring+length) that had slightly different commands that then worked with my TMO account. I had used this in the past and thought I didn't type all of the above out. So when trying the above, I got the "service error". When using what is in this thread it worked as expected.

foreveryongott
09-11-2007, 07:16 AM
If you are with Bell Mobility in Canada, of course, you could use

x94[1-9] to change the ringing times.

penguin3107
09-11-2007, 07:26 AM
If you are with Bell Mobility in Canada, of course, you could use

x94[1-9] to change the ringing times.

Ugh... please don't awaken threads that are over a year and a half old and buried.

John Clark
09-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey, at least they're searching! (y)

NeoLogic
11-05-2008, 10:23 PM
exactly John!!

Down with the search haters.