PDA

View Full Version : Are there benefits to using BES if you do not have Exchange/corporate email/server

Megkins
10-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Hello all,

I've been searching and I've read a few FAQ's and have a better understanding but still have one more question.

Are there benefits to having BES if you DO NOT have Exchange, corporate email, or a server?

We have 6 users on BES and I am pretty sure they should be on BIS. We do not have exchange, corporate email, or a server and they each use different email clients. I'm pretty sure they can't take advantage of all of the great features BES has to offer because that is not the set up we have. Is this correct?

rambo47
10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Correct. It works because the more expensive BES includes BIS, but without an Exchange Server hookup you're not getting any of those features. BIS is the way to go in your case.

MidnightDraven
10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
They CANNOT be activated on a BES if you do not have a BES.

Megkins
10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Thank You!

Megkins
10-14-2009, 01:18 PM
They CANNOT be activated on a BES if you do not have a BES.

Well they may not be activated on it, but they are paying for it. Is that possible?

rambo47
10-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh, carriers have no problem taking your money. You could definitely be paying for services you don't/can't use!

Megkins
10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Well it looks like that's exactly what they've done. It's partly our fault, they put someone in charge of phones who probably shouldn't have been. I wonder if switching them all to BIS now will interrupt their current configuration. I know they are using the BIS portion for their mail now, but would making the switch to only BIS make them have to reconfigure their settings etc?

penguin3107
10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I wonder if switching them all to BIS now will interrupt their current configuration.

It won't.

Megkins
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
That is great news!

takeshi
10-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Well they may not be activated on it, but they are paying for it. Is that possible?
Might help if you used the same language that everyone else does. "BES" refers to the BES server itself. I think you're trying to say "BES data plan" (not the same thing at all).

Your question was confusing at first without the context of this thread. Even I was thinking "You can't use BES without a supported mail server".

scaevola
10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
bes use to have tethering including on At&t (to 5 gigs) not sure if that still exists but unless you are paying for a bes hosted account (additionally $$ per month -> unrelated to carrier) ..switch to BIS save some $$.

Russo1994
10-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Blackberry Enterprise Server...Blackberrry Internet Service...2 different things. You can not be on both, however you can be on a BIS and be paying for BES and not know it. If your not using Exchange, or a SQL database, then why are you even on a BES??

penguin3107
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Blackberry Enterprise Server...Blackberrry Internet Service...2 different things. You can not be on both

Incorrect.
Of course you can use both.

The rest of your post makes little sense at all.

Russo1994
11-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Incorrect.
Of course you can use both.

The rest of your post makes little sense at all.

again I should have specified...When you go to your carrier, you either get activated on the BES or the BIS...My personal BB is on the BIS, if my employer gave me a phone it would be PROVISIONED for the BES..NOT THE BIS...You can't set policy's on the BIS, nor permissions, nor anything else BES affiliated. However, I would still have the Internet Service on my phone. I mean seriously...If they weren't 2 completely different things, RIM would offer BES training to the public for free....:?

MidnightDraven
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
A BES plan includes BIS.
a BIS plan is a BIS only plan.
i.e. on BIS you can only be on BIS
on BES you can be on BES AND BIS.

Russo1994
11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
A BES plan includes BIS.
a BIS plan is a BIS only plan.
i.e. on BIS you can only be on BIS
on BES you can be on BES AND BIS.

Touche' sir....Nicely put.

MidnightDraven
11-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm not a sir.

Russo1994
11-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm not a sir.

My apologies..:oops:

jsconyers
11-04-2009, 07:44 PM
again I should have specified...When you go to your carrier, you either get activated on the BES or the BIS...My personal BB is on the BIS, if my employer gave me a phone it would be PROVISIONED for the BES..NOT THE BIS...You can't set policy's on the BIS, nor permissions, nor anything else BES affiliated. However, I would still have the Internet Service on my phone. I mean seriously...If they weren't 2 completely different things, RIM would offer BES training to the public for free....:?

Seriously, know what you're talking about before you post. This is more misinformation. MidnightDraven kindly corrected you, but looking through your posts, you are giving out incorrect information.

If you aren't 100% sure of the answer, don't post. Let someone that knows answer the question. Or, ask a RIM tech for the correct answer, and then post with your source ;-). I wouldn't want you to become one of the "BBForums dudes" that waste too much time on the internet. :-)