PDA

View Full Version : location on screen

furymonster
10-17-2009, 01:49 PM
On my old Nokia I could set it up to give the location on screen of where I was. Can I set my 8310 to do the same……. Thanks.

rambo47
10-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Short of leaving a Map application open, no, there is nothing like that for BlackBerrys.

The CDMA BlackBerrys with GPS can use that to avail the user of location-based services and so emergency services can tell where you called from, but your current location is not able to be displayed on the home screen.

Out of curiosity, why would you need your mobile to tell you where you were?

furymonster
10-18-2009, 06:51 AM
The reason I want my location on screen is for when I'm on holiday in Thailand. It comes in handy sometimes, when you are not sure where you are. I'll take my old Nokia with me to use in Thailand with my Thai sim card. Thanks..... Alan.

rambo47
10-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Traveling abroad is when I usually leave a laptop in my hotel room and take a non-BlackBerry phone with me. Pre-paid SIM cards are the way to go, but only one or two providers offer pre-paid BlackBerry data plans, making my BlackBerry a dumb phone when traveling. Alternately, you could use your carrier's international roaming data option, but that gets really expensive. Often there is a minimum amount of time you must leave that feature on your plan, and paying for it for 6 months vs a week's vacation doesn't make sense.

tsac
10-18-2009, 05:27 PM
It's a lot cheaper to simply buy a handheld GPS. Some are very small and light.
As Rambo states ,it get real expensive to use the BB data plan.