PDA

View Full Version : Viewing MS Word, Excel attachments on 8700c

tpsboston
12-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Did anybody's 8700c ship with software that allows for viewing (not editing) of MS Word and Excel email attachments? This functionality is important to me. I cannot find the capability within my 8700 to do this. I think other flavors of BB's shipped with this software? Am I missing something? Or is this a third-party add-on I am looking at?

MegaBit
12-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Yup- mine does out of the box with no added software. Stock 8700c on Cingular.

tpsboston
12-06-2005, 07:30 PM
MegaBit, I am looking at an email right now on my 8700c that has an Excel file attached.

Could you possibly give me the Nav path you use to view such an attachment on an email? I have been fussing with this for 1/2 hour now and still cannot find any such way to view the XLS file.

Thanks in advance.

MegaBit
12-06-2005, 07:44 PM
MegaBit, I am looking at an email right now on my 8700c that has an Excel file attached.

Could you possibly give me the Nav path you use to view such an attachment on an email? I have been fussing with this for 1/2 hour now and still cannot find any such way to view the XLS file.

Thanks in advance.

Open the email

Scroll to the bottom where is shows an Application (string of text)

Click thumbwheel

Select open Attachement, then select full content and click Retrieve on the popup

It should retrieve it and display it pretty decently

gkolleng
12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Megabit,

Can you view PowerPoint files with the 8700c as well?

MegaBit
12-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Megabit,

Can you view PowerPoint files with the 8700c as well?

Yes- but only the text in them, no graphics

tpsboston
12-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Open the email

Scroll to the bottom where is shows an Application (string of text)

Click thumbwheel

Select open Attachement, then select full content and click Retrieve on the popup

It should retrieve it and display it pretty decently

Bizarre. I simply don't get the option to "Open Attachment" option as you do.

Interestingly, I am at work and someone walking by just mentioned that they think I cannot view attachments bcz our BES Server is an older version that does not support the viewing of attachments.

I would think that viewing attachments has more to do with the BlackBerry device than the BES Server, but maybe I am wrong.

Boy Genius
12-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Well yes and no, for instance try sending those attachments to your blackberry handheld address - xxxxx.blackberry.net, and then try. it depends which service it comes in through, on your BES it won't work if it is not supported. Try that, should work with the BB email address.

tpsboston
12-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Well yes and no, for instance try sending those attachments to your blackberry handheld address - xxxxx.blackberry.net, and then try. it depends which service it comes in through, on your BES it won't work if it is not supported. Try that, should work with the BB email address.

Yep. This approach confirms it.

I sent an email from gmail to both my blackberry.net account and my work account (which is serviced by BES server.)

I do get the option to open attachment from the blackberry.net account. I do NOT get the option to open the attachment on the copy sent to my work account (even though the email DOES mention the existance of an attachment - size and all.)

Oh well. Guess I'm going to have to pester IT to get a BES upgrade put in. This stinks bcz my work emails are much more important to me than anything I would receive into the blackberry.net account.

Boy Genius
12-06-2005, 08:51 PM
i mean something you might do in the meantime simply forward your work emails to your blackberry address when you receive them on the handheld, you would have doubles but that way you can atleast open the attachments...

MegaBit
12-06-2005, 09:12 PM
i mean something you might do in the meantime simply forward your work emails to your blackberry address when you receive them on the handheld, you would have doubles but that way you can atleast open the attachments...

Good idea- or use a rule or rules to forward only the ones you want to get mobile until the IT guy gets the upgrade installed.