PDA

View Full Version : Profile Exceptions

whsbuss
12-06-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a few profile exceptions set for some of my contacts. It works well, but I cannot seem to make it do what I really want.

When you switch profiles (I usualy use the shortcut hold-# to set vibrate) the exception is still active. What doesn't make sense is why you can't set/save the exception for a specific profile.

Here's my example:
1. I set a contact to a particular ring tone whenever they call.
2. Looking at the active profile (normal most of the time) I see the exception for Calls from John Doe with its checkbox marked.
3. I enable vibrate profile and thet same exception is marked.

So if I enable vibrate calls from John Doe still uses the ring tone. The only way to use the exceptions is to 1) enable the profile, 2) uncheck the exception(s). Of course you have to remember to enable that exception again when you switch active profiles.

Am I confused or is this normal? The user guide is a bit vague on this (pg.72).

bb4lfe
12-06-2005, 02:14 PM
I am having the exact same issue, http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=780169&page=2

Bottom of page 2. Let me know if you figure this out! I would love to have exceptions work, but only for one profile.

whsbuss
12-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I am having the exact same issue, http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=780169&page=2

Bottom of page 2. Let me know if you figure this out! I would love to have exceptions work, but only for one profile.

I saw that. In fact I posted a reply.

When I first got my 7130 I set the smart key (between Send/End) for the profile settings screen, thinking I woud have quick access to go from Normal to Vibrate. When I saw the shortcut for vibrate, I reset the key to Messages. I may have to rethink this now. Its embarrasing in a meeting when the phone rings after you set it to vibrate.

bb4lfe
12-06-2005, 02:26 PM
exactly the reason I want to get it working too. There has to be a way, otherwise, why would they have an "exceptions" feature? If you just want to set ringtones, you dont need the exceptions list for that. Im sure someone knows something.

rickdanger_1
12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi there everyone,

I'm new to the forums and to blackberry for that matter - I absolutely love it though. I was wondering if any one still has all the original default settings for all the for the "Normal Profile", I went and changed mine up and now wish I hadn't. I realize that could be pain the a** so only reply if you have the time. Thanks a bunch.

Rick

JROCK2004
12-06-2005, 03:20 PM
See I think what this is for is cause remember that BB are made for the business world. Those custom ringtones are made to make extemptions from the current active profile. It is not like a cell phone where you can do it. I know I hate it myself but until either we are all missing the point and some know how to to do it or RIM makes an update to fix it we have to uncheck when we switch profiles

whsbuss
12-06-2005, 04:38 PM
See I think what this is for is cause remember that BB are made for the business world. Those custom ringtones are made to make extemptions from the current active profile. It is not like a cell phone where you can do it. I know I hate it myself but until either we are all missing the point and some know how to to do it or RIM makes an update to fix it we have to uncheck when we switch profiles

I believe you are right. I've tried many different ways without any further success. I welcome RIM's entrance w/4.1 for programmable ringtones but I think they need to go back to the drawing table.

bb4lfe
12-06-2005, 04:54 PM

I have to disagree still. You can change a single users ringtone right inside their address book entry. So why the use of exceptions? Theres a way. I dont give up so easy.

whsbuss
12-06-2005, 06:16 PM
I have to disagree still. You can change a single users ringtone right inside their address book entry. So why the use of exceptions? Theres a way. I dont give up so easy.

I suggest re-reading the previous posts. You can indeed assign a ring tone to a single contact in the address book. But if you look at the profiles you will see a Calls from ...... exception set for the contact. So an exception is always created. Try it.

whsbuss
12-07-2005, 07:54 AM
OK I spend some time thinking through this and finally resolved the profile exception issue.

Here's what I want:
- to switch to vibrate profile so all notifications/calls vibrate in and out of the holster. I always use the Normal profile except for meetings

Here's what I did:

1. cleared all exeptions currently set.
2. in the Profile screen, click TW (trackwheel) and select New Exception
3. give the exception a name (Calls from John), scroll to the From field, click TW and select John from the Address Book
4. scroll to Use Profile field and select Normal Profile

Now when I select the vibrate profile (or use the shortcut hold-#) the custom ringtone selected for John just vibrates!!! When I switch to Normal is uses John's selected ringtone.

Hope this helps those who have struggled with this issue.

JROCK2004
12-08-2005, 07:32 AM
yep that is what I found

bb4lfe
12-08-2005, 09:10 AM
OK I spend some time thinking through this and finally resolved the profile exception issue.

Here's what I want:
- to switch to vibrate profile so all notifications/calls vibrate in and out of the holster. I always use the Normal profile except for meetings

Here's what I did:

1. cleared all exeptions currently set.
2. in the Profile screen, click TW (trackwheel) and select New Exception
3. give the exception a name (Calls from John), scroll to the From field, click TW and select John from the Address Book
4. scroll to Use Profile field and select Normal Profile

Now when I select the vibrate profile (or use the shortcut hold-#) the custom ringtone selected for John just vibrates!!! When I switch to Normal is uses John's selected ringtone.

Hope this helps those who have struggled with this issue.

GREAT NEWS!!! See, I told ya. ;) Always keep trying, theres ALWAYS a way. I unfortunately cant try this right now, but, how is it working still? So, the exception works, and ONLY works, if you add it using the normal profile. So for example, If I set a custom ringtone for "john smith", and set it to the normal profile, when I change the profile to vibrate, john smith doesnt ring? Even though the exception is still in there?

whsbuss
12-08-2005, 11:09 AM
GREAT NEWS!!! See, I told ya. ;) Always keep trying, theres ALWAYS a way. I unfortunately cant try this right now, but, how is it working still? So, the exception works, and ONLY works, if you add it using the normal profile. So for example, If I set a custom ringtone for "john smith", and set it to the normal profile, when I change the profile to vibrate, john smith doesnt ring? Even though the exception is still in there?

So far its working fine. It will work on ANY profile not just normal. I chose to use normal profile as my default. You can create another profile and use it for the exceptions. What it is doing is when the Profile you define for the exception is ENABLED, the exception is used. Otherwise it will not be used.

Yes. John smith will just vibrate when set the way I outlined.

Inphektion
12-08-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't have a 7130 but I have the 8700 which has the exceptions. I think you guys misunderstand the way this works. When you have an exception there is a use profile: field. This does NOT mean this profile is active only in that profile. it means when you receive a call from that person it will always use that profile settings to determine what you hear.

For example:
You are on normal profile and have an exception that says use active profile. Your normal profile has ringer_tinkerbell and your exception is set to use ringer_classicphone. When you receive a call from a person on your exception list you will hear classicphone. if you switch your profile to a vibrate profile and then get a call from that person it will just vibrate.

If you set the exception to use normal profile then switch to vibrate you will still get the classicphone ring when someone on the exception list calls you.

I tried explaining as clearly as possible I understand it can be a little confusing but trust me it works as designed.

bb4lfe
12-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Cant wait to try this when i get a chance to!! Im pretty sure I tried it the way you guys have said, and it didnt work correctly, but will try again from scratch. My whole point of using this feature was so that when I am at work, I can have my phone on the vibrate or normal profile, and ALL CALLS use the settings from that, and then when I am out with friends/family, I can have another profile, called "out", with exceptions that have ringtones for different people. And only have it work on that one profile. Hope this is what you guys figured out!

Inphektion
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Cant wait to try this when i get a chance to!! Im pretty sure I tried it the way you guys have said, and it didnt work correctly, but will try again from scratch. My whole point of using this feature was so that when I am at work, I can have my phone on the vibrate or normal profile, and ALL CALLS use the settings from that, and then when I am out with friends/family, I can have another profile, called "out", with exceptions that have ringtones for different people. And only have it work on that one profile. Hope this is what you guys figured out!
so all you do is have your exceptions use the "out" profile instead of "active".

whsbuss
12-08-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't have a 7130 but I have the 8700 which has the exceptions. I think you guys misunderstand the way this works. When you have an exception there is a use profile: field. This does NOT mean this profile is active only in that profile. it means when you receive a call from that person it will always use that profile settings to determine what you hear.

For example:
You are on normal profile and have an exception that says use active profile. Your normal profile has ringer_tinkerbell and your exception is set to use ringer_classicphone. When you receive a call from a person on your exception list you will hear classicphone. if you switch your profile to a vibrate profile and then get a call from that person it will just vibrate.

If you set the exception to use normal profile then switch to vibrate you will still get the classicphone ring when someone on the exception list calls you.

I tried explaining as clearly as possible I understand it can be a little confusing but trust me it works as designed.

Not true on my 7130e. I created an exception for my spouse for calls and set it for the Normal profile. When I switch to the vibrate profile her calls also vibrate. Only when Normal profile is active will her calls ring with my selected tone.

Inphektion
12-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Not true on my 7130e. I created an exception for my spouse for calls and set it for the Normal profile. When I switch to the vibrate profile her calls also vibrate. Only when Normal profile is active will her calls ring with my selected tone.
Really? didn't do that on my 8700... doesn't anyone have an 8700 they can test the functionality with? wonder if its different than on the 7100's?

p_dizzo
12-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Really? didn't do that on my 8700... doesn't anyone have an 8700 they can test the functionality with? wonder if its different than on the 7100's?

tested out both adding a custom ringtone to a contact in address book as well as creating a new exception in the profile with contacts added to it.

in the scenario of adding a custom ringtone to a contact, i've found when using normal/loud/phone only, the custom ringtone plays when the contact calls. when in vibrate/quiet/off, the blackberry vibrates or stays silent when the contact calls, even with the exception left on.

in the second scenario of creating a new exception in profiles, Inphektion is correct. setting the "Use Profile:" makes the exception work accordingly to the ring mode of None/Tone/Vibrate/Vibrate+Tone set for that profile. which means:

my loud profile has vibrate+tone at high volume, so if i set the exception to "use profile: Loud", then when the contact set in that exception calls, the ringtone plays according to the "Loud" profile's ring setting, regardless of whether i set the blackberry's profile to vibrate/quiet/off or phone only/normal/loud.

so if i set "use profile: Normal", then the custom ringtone rings on medium volume, as i've set my normal setting to do so, regardless of what the actual active profile is.

so, the solution to what everyone here wants to do(including me) is either set via adding "custom ringtone" to each contact, or create an exception, with the setting of "use profile:" to "Active Profile".

whsbuss, perhaps you set the "use profile:" to "Active Profile"? i've found that if i set it to anything but "Active Profile", it does what that profile setting's volume is.

whsbuss
12-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Yes I did set it to Active Profile. So when I set Vibrate Active all notifications vibrate including the exceptions I've created. That's what I need when I'm in a meeting without having to uncheck each exception in the list.