PDA

View Full Version : Can't uninstall Desktop Software

Kurmo
11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Hello all. I am trying to uninstall my Desktop Manager so I may re-install it. However whenever I try to, this happens:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"

"Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Blackberry Desktop Software.msi' in the box below"

Then it gives me this source, which doesn't work: C:\Documents and Settings\Kurtis\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Updates\4A7527CD-8014-4ea9-AEF7-DB52C736D0C7\

Any ideas? I tried finding any remnants of the software using the search function, nothing came up. However it's right there on my add/remove programs list.

rambo47
11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Try restarting the pc before trying to remove it.

Kurmo
11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Just restarted, didn't open anything, just went straight to control panel.

Same thing happened.

daphne
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I would run the Windows Installer Clean Up utility. Instructions and download link are here:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301)

Kurmo
11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I installed it, but it seemed to skip the screen telling me where it was going to put the program. Now I can't find it, or run it. It says the cleanup tool is installed, but I can't find any trace of it.

monkeypaw
11-08-2009, 10:52 PM
It put a shortcut all the way at the on the main Start>All Programs bar when I installed it in XP. Called Windows Install Cleanup.

It also is in the folder C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up.

daphne
11-09-2009, 01:20 AM
You click Start > All Programs, it should be in the list there.

Kurmo
11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Ok, I used the tool, said it worked. However it's STILL on my control panel list. The only difference is when I click change/remove, I only get this:

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed

Still can't install the software either, interrupts the wizard, just like before.

daphne
11-09-2009, 11:07 PM
When you ran the Installer Cleanup, did you remove all the items that said BlackBerry and/or RIM/Research In Motion?

That does not uninstall the program.

You may need to follow this procedure. They are likely some leftovers preventing it from installing again.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/25937-how-perform-clean-uninstall-reinstall-blackberry-desktop-software.html

Kurmo
11-10-2009, 12:20 AM
When you ran the Installer Cleanup, did you remove all the items that said BlackBerry and/or RIM/Research In Motion?

That does not uninstall the program.

You may need to follow this procedure. They are likely some leftovers preventing it from installing again.

Worked, finally got it installed.

High fives all around!

daphne
11-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Two thumbs up! (y) (y) Glad you got it working.