PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to install BBM on a 8320 under restricted company policies?

williamjv
11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Good morning everyone,

I was just issued a Blackberry 8320 (curve) by my company for Data use only; however, I had the company import my phone number into the service plan to be able to use my cell and BB at the same time without having to carry 2 different devices.

I'd like to be able to install the BBM (whichever version works) in it; however, IT has restricted policies to disable download and install of 3rd party applications. I know one of my co-workers has an iPhone to which policies were also pushed to it; however, he was able to install some type of app/patch which disable the policies and he was then able to install whatever he'd like. I was wondering if there's such a thing for me to do to my Blackberry.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Will V

fonejunkie
11-13-2009, 11:40 AM
The answer is "yes" you probably can. But the consequences could be devastating - that is, you could be reprimanded or terminated, depending on how your IT department and your management view this transgression. Adding '3rd party apps" is in violation of their policy, so who knows what will happen.

Since your company own the device and their IT policy restricts "3rd party apps", it may be possible, but most likely is frowned upon.

Your best bet is to discuss the matter with your IT guy or your boss. Plead your case and abide by their decision.