PDA

View Full Version : Roxio Music Player won't complete installation but keeps re-running

Vance
11-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Roxio is like a zombie I can't kill. It won't ever complete the installation and I realize now there is a version of Desktop Manager without it, so I want to install that. But, I can't even do a clean uninstall because every time I try to kill the installation of Roxio, it just pops back up! Even if I take it out of the start up in msconfig, it still runs again on start up! It keeps me from doing anything with the Desktop Manager at all.

What can I do to stop this endless cycle of Roxio hell?

Edit, sorry Roxio Media Manager, not Music Player

wabbit
11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
if you're in vista you can try to rollback vista prior to installation of roxio. using system restore. sorry i cant help more.

Vance
11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Sorry, XP here, and the problem is that we have never had a good installation of Roxio. We just got the Curve and installed the software and ran into this problem.

MidnightDraven
11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
If you've gone to add/remove programs and uninstalled Blackberry Desktop Manager, Roxio should be gone.

Vance
11-17-2009, 11:32 AM
If you've gone to add/remove programs and uninstalled Blackberry Desktop Manager, Roxio should be gone.

But that is just it, I can't uninstall Desktop Manager through the Add/Remove because it says the program is still in progress, which is the Roxio. The Roxio is constantly running no matter what I do. Task Manager won't kill it, it just restarts immediately. I have tried removing it from the start-up menu and restarting (many times) but it just keeps popping up immediately on start-up and tries to install again. There may be something in the registry that is cranking it back up again, but I don't know what it is.

This thing really is like Jason or Freddy, it just won't stay dead!

MidnightDraven
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Ok I understand now.
Erm, look under the services tab in task manager, and see if there is an entry for roxio, killing the service should stop the process from starting after you end it.

Vance
11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Great, I will do that as soon as my boss comes in with his laptop (that is where this problem is). But I don't remember whether there is a Services tab in XP. I see one in my Vista box, but was it there in XP? I guess I will see when he comes in.

MidnightDraven
11-17-2009, 12:15 PM
There should be, but I to don't remember.

Vance
11-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Ugh, there is no "Services" tab in XP. The Zombie still lives.

MidnightDraven
11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Strange.
There should be defo i msconfig. kill any services roxio related in there, reboot.
then see if that kills it.

Vance
11-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes, I unselected every Roxio and RIMM entry in startup, and rebooted but that didn't do it. But, I did find this thread over at the Roxio forums (can't post link due to being a newbie here).

Hopefully that will allow me to get rid of Roxio, then I can download and install the version of Desktop Manager which does not have Roxio in it.

MidnightDraven
11-17-2009, 05:32 PM
I meant in the SERVICES tab on MSCONFIG not the Startup tab.
But good, lets hope it works for you.

Vance
11-17-2009, 06:51 PM
OK, got it cleaned out of the system, and now going to install 4.3 since it has a version that does not include Roxio.

I have a couple of questions about that installation, but I will start a new thread for that. Thanks!

MidnightDraven
11-17-2009, 07:14 PM
There's a non roxio for version 5 as well, infact all versions have a non Media Manager version (aka roxio)

Vance
11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
ah, that is good to know!