PDA

View Full Version : Mailstreet is now using BES 4.0!

d hos
11-08-2004, 10:08 AM

Hayswj
11-08-2004, 12:03 PM

Peench
11-08-2004, 12:23 PM

d hos
11-08-2004, 05:39 PM

d hos
11-09-2004, 12:37 PM

d hos
11-09-2004, 04:43 PM

d hos
11-11-2004, 09:47 AM

Inphektion
11-11-2004, 10:25 AM

Mark Rejhon
01-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Hi,

For some reason, my BlackBerry spontaneously did an Enterprise Activation over-the-air. Did Mailstreet upgrade to BES 4.0?

hiltech
01-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I have been e-mailing with them since mid-December. They started the 4.0 upgrade this week, and are supposed to be upgrading all forests to over the next two weeks. It is good to hear confirmation that the upgrade has started.

Jestre
01-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi,

For some reason, my BlackBerry spontaneously did an Enterprise Activation over-the-air. Did Mailstreet upgrade to BES 4.0?

What does this look like? I'm on Mailstreet, but not sure what to look for.

Mark Rejhon
01-06-2005, 04:40 PM
------Original Message------
Sent: Jan 6, 2005 4:38 PM
Subject: Blackberry Enterprise 4.0

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE - SEND QUESTIONS TO SUPPORT@<hidden>

Dear MailStreet BlackBerry Customer,

Congratulations, we have completed the upgrade to BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0 on the BlackBerry server your account resides. Assuming your device has the most recent (version 4.0) firmware from your wireless carrier, you will soon have the ability to sync all PIM items, including email, calendar, notes, contacts and tasks - all wirelessly (i.e. No cradle/cable sync necessary)

The 4.0 features mentioned above require both the Enterprise Server 4.0 version that MailStreet provides as well as the updated firmware for your wireless BlackBerry device. This firmware is supported and distributed only by your wireless carrier – (i.e. AT&amp;T, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.) Some carriers do now have the 4.0 firmware (Nextel for one) and others are still in the development phases. Please contact your wireless cellular carrier for more details on this portion of the update.

NOTE: MailStreet can not offer any technical support for the installation of the 4.0 handheld firmware upgrade that is required, nor do we have access or any legal right to distribute this for your device. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Once your device is upgraded to the 4.0 firmware you can then contact MailStreet support for assistance on reconfiguring your device for the 4.0 features. Thank you for using MailStreet. We appreciate your business.

--------------------------

Mark Rejhon
01-06-2005, 04:41 PM
A new icon suddenly appears in the main menu, and you will also get a weird application displaying status of activation. At the end, you automatically get an email message confirming completion of activation, and the icon dissappears.

Mark Rejhon
01-06-2005, 05:03 PM
I just did a test of wireless synchronization. It works!

I created an addressbook entry on my BlackBerry and it showed up on my desktop Outlook within 30 seconds or so (after a Send/Receive All)

However, it doesn't seem to propagate quickly in reverse (or yet) -- an addressbook entry I deleted in Outlook, has not dissappeared off my BlackBerry yet. [Edit: It just did... 5 minutes later.]

Jestre
01-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Excellent, thanks for the information. I'll keep a lookout for that e-mail. Did you have to reconfigure the addressbook, tasks, etc for wireless sync in the Desktop app?

Mark Rejhon
01-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Just make sure you go into Options in Addressbook and set wireless sync to "Yes". That's all you have to do.

Make sure you do a recent desktop sync... wireless sync will gobble a lot of data otherwise. My handheld slows down significantly during a wireless sync. It's not bad on an ongoing manner, it's just preferable to do the first sync with BlackBerry desktop.

There's an arrow icon superimposed on top of the PIM applications in the main menu, whenever that PIM is doing a wireless sync. Lasts a few seconds at most in most cases.

Mark Rejhon
01-06-2005, 05:30 PM
So far, so good... All my PIM seems to be wirelessly synchronizing just fine, although sync can lag by a few minutes since it's done in the background unless I force a "Send/Receive", then it shows up nearly immediately.

I didn't need to do much, except make sure wireless sync was set to "Yes" in the Options for the PIM applications.

I did get one conflict, but there's a conflict resolution mechanism built right into Microsoft Outlook 2003. Conflicts are shown with a (&lt;>) icon next to entries which I doubleclick in Outlook, to specify which version I want to keep.

Jestre
01-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Sounds good... hopefully the server I'm on will updated shortly.

TMPhoneBerry
01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
So far, so good... All my PIM seems to be wirelessly synchronizing just fine, although sync can lag by a few minutes since it's done in the background unless I force a "Send/Receive", then it shows up nearly immediately.

I didn't need to do much, except make sure wireless sync was set to "Yes" in the Options for the PIM applications.

I did get one conflict, but there's a conflict resolution mechanism built right into Microsoft Outlook 2003. Conflicts are shown with a (&lt;>) icon next to entries which I doubleclick in Outlook, to specify which version I want to keep.

1. Mark how is the browsing. Any improvements.
2. Does image attachments open (huh tired of people asking this question on rimroad and here)
3. Any other improvements you can see right away

Sounds like enterprise activation feature is really cool (everything wireless done)

Mark Rejhon
01-07-2005, 12:25 AM
1. Haven't tried testing web browsing yet, will try that shortly. But BES 4.0 browsing is probably slower than BES 3.6 browsing until you turn off all the enhancements in the options (tables, javascript, etc)
2. I successfully opened an image JPEG attachment. Works.
3. Not really, it behaves the same as before except wireless PIM synchronization pretty much "worked out of the box".

There's a minor glitch where three newly created entries in my addressbook before the BES 4.0 upgrade, didn't get synchronized wirelessly to my Outlook. 265 items versus 268 items. I'm trying to troubleshoot this now. (I am using BlackBerryOS 4.0.0.185 which is slightly newer than the public 4.0.0.171)

Mark Rejhon
01-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Tested. The BES 4.0 browsing looks identical to my BWC 4.0 browsing now. (graphics enhancement and slower) -- I usually used the BES 3.6 browsing over the BWC 4.0 browsing because pages loaded faster.

It does display some of the sites that I use, much better. Some sites behave dramatically differently using 4.0 browsing than 3.6 though.

One interesting observation is that for the first time, I am able to logon to my credit cooperative online banking. I was always able to do TD Canada Trust online banking on my BlackBerry (they have a WAP / MiniHTML site), but I was never able to logon to my CSCOOP bank account in the past. It required Javascript. Now it seems to work! Very slowly though.

BES 4.0 browsing (at default options) is significantly faster than BWC 4.0 browsing, but slower than BES 3.6 browsing.

Mark Rejhon
01-07-2005, 01:01 AM
I temporarily disabled wireless synchronization on my BlackBerry and reenabled Outlook synchronization on my Outlook. Did a synchronize. Then I re-enabled wireless synchronization.

It looks like before you begin wireless synchronization, you must do a full BlackBerry Desktop synchronization.

Unsynchronized entries right before you enable wireless sync, won't get synchronized. You must initially be in perfect sync when you enable wireless sync .... for the sync to remain perfect.

The good thing is that you can turn off wireless sync from time to time, and manually sync -- and you can see if there are changes/conflicts (changes, additions, deletitions). At the moment, there are none.

rdrakea
01-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Got my Cingular 7280 activated with MailStreet's BES 4.0 this morning. I have two questions regarding advertisded features of 4.0:

*Sent Item synchronization
Messages sent from the user’s email client can now be sent to their device as a Sent Item.
How do I enable this?

*Profiles improvements
A context-sensitive icon will be displayed on the Home Screen to let the user know which Profile is active.
I don't see any icon that indicates my selected profile. Am I missing something?

Jestre
01-08-2005, 09:25 PM
My sent items automatically show up in Outlook, I didn't have to configure anything.

Which Profile are they referring to? There is already an icon for the general (sounds/vibrate) profile.

I'm on Mailstreet BES, but not on a 4.0 server yet.