PDA

View Full Version : I want to 'beat' the company system (Not Gonna Happen)

007fl
11-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Brand new here although I've had my BB for over a year.
I have a company provided 8830.
I want a Storm2 but the company won't allow me to substitute it for my 8830, even at my own expense.
I'm willing to have my own account and pay for it if I can:
1) receive forwarded calls (from my 8830) that show the true callerid.
2) receive all company email traffic on my Storm2. The company will allow me to license it.
3) send emails from the Storm2 that show they are from my company account
4) make calls from the storm2 that carry my 8830 phone number on the callerid.

Any chance I can fill these requirements?

Thanks in advance

Dubdub
11-22-2009, 12:57 PM
You might be playing with fire. most companies issue and control their devices for a reason. Try to circumvent the reason and you could be looking for a new job.

Personal opinion, I would not put a personal device on the company system. If yu are on BES, as I suspect, then they will put an IT policy on the device which can lock out and render useless, some of the BB features.

Don't think you can do #4. Not sure about #1, but i think that is doable.

Email on the device (#2 and #3) depends upon how they set up email. Do they use BES? Do they allow POP and/or IMAP access, etc. You have to talk to the IT Staff about that.

JSanders
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
My advice, don't.

You won't be happy with either device in the long run trying to do what you indicate above, mostly for the same reasons that Dubdub answered.

Pete777
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
This might help you in one respect.....
I didn't want to have my personal BB intertwined with the Office system at work, but I did want to get inter-office email on my BB when I was not at work. Here is what I did: In Outlook, you can set up a filter that will forward certain (or all) email to another address (i.e.: your personal email). So I set up a filter that forwards all email to my personal BB account. If it's something that needs an immediate response, then I log in remotely via OWA on my BB and reply there.

TXLady
11-22-2009, 05:05 PM
This might help you in one respect.....
I didn't want to have my personal BB intertwined with the Office system at work, but I did want to get inter-office email on my BB when I was not at work. Here is what I did: In Outlook, you can set up a filter that will forward certain (or all) email to another address (i.e.: your personal email). So I set up a filter that forwards all email to my personal BB account. If it's something that needs an immediate response, then I log in remotely via OWA on my BB and reply there.

Please be sure to check your company's policies before you do this. While it is technically possible, it may be against your company's policies. My previous company forbid email being automatically forwarded to any non-company address.

tsac
11-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Some people dont like their job and this is a perfect way to get a new one.

007fl
11-22-2009, 08:37 PM
thanks for the replies folks.

I'll talk to IT about #2 and 3. IT is pretty cool, it's the Wireless nazis that I'm trying to avoid.

In any case I'm not about to lose my job over it. I've survived without a Storm up to now. I can live longer without it.

If #4 can't be fixed can I block my number on all outgoing calls without dialing a prefix# every time?

Thanks again

CanuckBB
11-23-2009, 10:12 AM
thanks for the replies folks.

I'll talk to IT about #2 and 3. IT is pretty cool, it's the Wireless nazis that I'm trying to avoid.

In any case I'm not about to lose my job over it. I've survived without a Storm up to now. I can live longer without it.

If #4 can't be fixed can I block my number on all outgoing calls without dialing a prefix# every time?

Thanks again

Not bad, post #2 and you manage to insult all the admins here.

Has it ever occured to you that the wireless guys are only enforcing company policy?

Contrary to what a lot of newbies may think, we don't impose restrictions just for the fun of it.

007fl
11-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Not bad, post #2 and you manage to insult all the admins here.

Has it ever occured to you that the wireless guys are only enforcing company policy?

Contrary to what a lot of newbies may think, we don't impose restrictions just for the fun of it.

Pm me your address and I'll send you some chill pills and a crying towel. geezzz.
I already said the IT folks are cool and the BB says they'll license anything I get. It's strictly the outsource company that controls the cell phones that I'm unhappy with. I've been in IT. I understand the need for policies and how hard it is to enforce them without everyone whining. I want a Storm. It doesn't do anything any other BB does that is already on the approved list except it has a touch screen. Doesn't exactly sound like a sound reason to disapprove it to me.

JSanders
11-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Why won't they approve the Storm, then?

007fl
11-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Why won't they approve the Storm, then?

I don't know. It's not on their "list" of approved wireless devices. If it isn't on the list they won't allow you to assign the company number to it. I can buy one with a personal account and license it but it will be a different phone number.

?????

tsduke03
11-23-2009, 06:46 PM
My complany considers the Storm more of toy than a business device. No "Storms" allowed.

9bberry
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
i wouldnt do it

Noodle22
11-24-2009, 10:16 AM
The fact that in your first post they said they wouldn't allow you to do it, even if you bought it with your own expenses, why are you doing it anyways?

The first post cleared up they would not allow it. Why try to find a way around it?

Either get it for personal use, or wait until policy changes.

scassel
11-24-2009, 12:45 PM
My complany considers the Storm more of toy than a business device. No "Storms" allowed.

Sounds kind of archaic, if you ask me. The Storm is a business tool just like any other BB.

ifonline
11-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Pm me your address and I'll send you some chill pills and a crying towel. geezzz

Are you sure you actually work in business and aren't just four years old?

007fl
11-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Are you sure you actually work in business and aren't just four years old?

No, I borrowed my dad's computer to ask my question.
But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Actually, I got about a dozen responses that, while I may not have liked the answers, at least attempted to answer my technical question. Thank you to those that tried to help me out.

Then I get reponses from you and CanuckBB that are only interested in whether someones feelings may be hurt. Thank you for being no help whatsoever in relation to my post. Yes, I am new here and I haven't had a chance to read all the rules yet but I'll bet some where in the rules is one that says, "if you don't have anything uselful to add, stay out of it".

JSanders
11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Whoa, it was you 007 that spat out the Nazi reference, and invoked Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law).

So at your own reference, you open yourself up to all discussion whether welcome or unwelcome on your part.

There is the old internet forum idiom that goes something like this, "If you ask a question in a public forum, expect answers and opinions, and if you can't handle it, don't ask."

ifonline
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
No, I borrowed my dad's computer to ask my question.

That's what I figured.

CanuckBB
11-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Pm me your address and I'll send you some chill pills and a crying towel. geezzz.

You're the one who insulted us by using the term nazi.

I already said the IT folks are cool and the BB says they'll license anything I get. It's strictly the outsource company that controls the cell phones that I'm unhappy with.

The IT folks don't have to support your new toy.

I've been in IT. I understand the need for policies and how hard it is to enforce them without everyone whining.

Doesn't sound like it.

I want a Storm. It doesn't do anything any other BB does that is already on the approved list except it has a touch screen. Doesn't exactly sound like a sound reason to disapprove it to me.

It's exactly a sound reason to disaprove. I'll guess that they support a handfull of devices. All trackball based. All at the same OS level.

If you were to call for support, they'd have no idea of what's going on with the device.

There is also an issue of cost. I support 8330 and 8830 for those that can make a case for a Worlf Edition phone. Why? they cost me $49.00 a piece and they do the same thing as a newer device at $249.00.

I get you want your own. Theres a potential liability issue. . Allowing a personal device on a BES can be a legal nightmare when the employee leaves.