PDA

View Full Version : Best BT Headset for the 8700c?

dominguezh
12-08-2005, 09:29 PM
I know, there are a lot of reviews out there, including this site, on BT headsets. I want to hear specifically from people using theirs on the 8700. I need a solid BT headset. Recommendations? Thanks!

Hector

MegaBit
12-08-2005, 09:52 PM
I can recommend two Motorola models: The H500 and the HS850. Both connect fast, allow volume control via the 8700c thumbwheel, have decent audio quality, and are comfortable. The HS850 is better due to the folding mic boom/switch and may have an edge in sound quality. But, you can't beat the size of the H500 and the cost is low enough that you don't need to be overly concerned about it. The H500 also charges on any USB cable, just like the 8700c.

I see the new H700 is out and looks pretty tempting to me...

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/

PowerBook
12-08-2005, 10:07 PM
I purchased the Motorola HS850 BT headset for my 8700.

Excellent clarity at the office or home, but too sensitive for the car.

For the car, the best choice is the "wired" earbud that comes with the 8700.

R...

luckiweeman
12-08-2005, 11:09 PM
I've tried several different BT headsets but I just purchased the Plantronics Discovery 640. A bit pricey at 99.00 but by far this has to be the best headset I've ever owned. It's so loud, you have to lower the headset volume way down. Connected effortlessly with the 8700 and comes with a snazzy case full of extra connectors and ear buds. What I really like about it is that it vibrates strongly when you get a phone call so if it's in your pocket, you definately feel it. Check out the reviews for it at CNET.com.

AlbertoM
12-08-2005, 11:18 PM
I can recommend two Motorola models: The H500 and the HS850. Both connect fast, allow volume control via the 8700c thumbwheel, have decent audio quality, and are comfortable. The HS850 is better due to the folding mic boom/switch and may have an edge in sound quality. But, you can't beat the size of the H500 and the cost is low enough that you don't need to be overly concerned about it. The H500 also charges on any USB cable, just like the 8700c.

I see the new H700 is out and looks pretty tempting to me...

Which BT version does it use?

EDIT: Never mind I Googled and found the answer: From the Moto site

Bluetooth Class 2 for wireless connection up to 10 meters (30 feet)
Bluetooth 1.2 support for quicker pairing, fewer dropped calls and reduced interference
Compatible with Bluetooth 1.2- or 1.1-enabled mobile phones, PDAs, PCs, printers and more that support headset and hands-free profiles

Whoo Hoo! I was thinking of ordering the Sony Ericsson, but this is great!

AlbertoM
12-08-2005, 11:20 PM
I've tried several different BT headsets but I just purchased the Plantronics Discovery 640. A bit pricey at 99.00 but by far this has to be the best headset I've ever owned. It's so loud, you have to lower the headset volume way down. Connected effortlessly with the 8700 and comes with a snazzy case full of extra connectors and ear buds. What I really like about it is that it vibrates strongly when you get a phone call so if it's in your pocket, you definately feel it. Check out the reviews for it at CNET.com.
I love my 640, but my 8700 and the 640 keep disconnecting every few minutes, then reconnecting - although sometimes I have to reconnect it. Sometimes this happens even when they are a few feet apart. Have you had this experience?

luckiweeman
12-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I love my 640, but my 8700 and the 640 keep disconnecting every few minutes, then reconnecting - although sometimes it will reconnect. Sometimes this happens even when they are a few feet apart. Have you had this experience?

Strange...I had the same exact problem that you have when I had the unit on the BB insight icon theme. I tried the BB dimension icon theme and no more problems. It connects quickly and stays connected. The other thing I didn't like about the insight theme is that It didn't show the BT connection status icon on top.

uswest33
12-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Mark down another vote for the Plantronics 640. It is very loud and clear and fits securely in your ear with the ear gels provided so it doesn't dangle loosely like the Motorola HS850 I used previously. I have had no issues with it thus far. It has been a winner for me.

Number13
12-08-2005, 11:52 PM
I just purchased a Motorola HT820. This is a combination headphone/headset unit. You can listen to CD quality music with it. (Stereo/16bit/44KHz) You can also use it as a binaural bluetooth headset. It's very well made. Motorola did an excellent job with these. The quality and materials are top notch. The price is right, too. ($85.95) They are not as discreet as a Nextlink Bluespoon 5G but if you listen to music while you work (like me) and you still want to be able to take a call without removing your headphones then this is the headset for you.

Check it out, ya'll! Check it...check it out!

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=124523

dominguezh
12-09-2005, 12:15 AM
I read the reviews on the Discovery 640 before I posted the question. My main concern was that it would not work well with the 8700. Thanks for your comments ... I just ordered mine on Buy.com for $75.00 with a $5off coupon. Do a google search for Buy.com coupons. Thanks guys! This site is awesome.

Hector

AlbertoM
12-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Strange...I had the same exact problem that you have when I had the unit on the BB insight icon theme. I tried the BB dimension icon theme and no more problems. It connects quickly and stays connected. The other thing I didn't like about the insight theme is that It didn't show the BT connection status icon on top.
Hm. I've been using the Dimension Icon theme, but that gives me another aspect to look at. I am going to test it with the BlueSpoon AX, the Moto HS850 to make sure that the 640 is not defective, but I will also switch to the other themes as well.... thank you.

Stinsonddog
12-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

On the Insight theme I look for the Blue LED to see if I am connected. On the 640 it seems it is packaged stand alone and with extras like the charger. Has anyone used the battery charger and does it work?

nb_mitch
12-09-2005, 08:34 AM
I am going with the Free one, I see it is a Motorola, but I don't see any specifics on the offer. Time is running out to get your rebate in the mail, if you got your 8700 in November.

http://www.blackberryfreeheadset.com/default.htm

Anyone tell what model this is by the picture or find it in the fine print? I looked but didn't see anything.

Zoinks
12-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

On the Insight theme I look for the Blue LED to see if I am connected. On the 640 it seems it is packaged stand alone and with extras like the charger. Has anyone used the battery charger and does it work?

The Plantronics headset works very well with the 8700, just as it did with my old 7100g. The little case they provide with the 640 has all the sundry stuff to charge it from Moto, nokia and other phones.... but no USB. The battery charger works well, although it seems to charge more slowly and you can only get 3 charges per AAA battery.

The sound quality of the 640 is fantastic. It's VERY loud and crisp. Only limit is in the wind where it's basically useless.

The biggest gripe I have with it are that the holster, which you must have to charge the unit and contains the virator, doesn't fit very well. The headset itself tends to pop-out when you have it on your belt and even worse, when you are trying to charge it.

Also, the soft rubber of the ear piece makes it difficult to put in a pocket and gathers lint like crazy.

I've been using the 640 and the Flamingo about 50/50 and I'm leaning towards the Flamingo for daily usage due to the pocket problem.

takeshi
12-09-2005, 09:08 AM
I'd definitely recommend the Plantronics Voyager 510. I've experienced random disconnects but not while actually on a call. The headset and 8700c seem to connect and disconnect for no real reason. I am using the Insight Icon theme so I'll have to give another theme a try to see if it makes a difference in my case.

Inphektion
12-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I use the hs850 as I did for the 7290 as well. Volume issue I had is definitley fixed with the 8700. I'll be trying to get the H700 to try that out as well to see if there is any improvement while in my car with background noise.

MegaBit
12-09-2005, 09:46 AM
I am going with the Free one, I see it is a Motorola, but I don't see any specifics on the offer. Time is running out to get your rebate in the mail, if you got your 8700 in November.

http://www.blackberryfreeheadset.com/default.htm

Anyone tell what model this is by the picture or find it in the fine print? I looked but didn't see anything.

It's the HS820. Here's a review and its also on Motorola's web site:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=822&source=BROWSER

jonnynyc
12-09-2005, 10:23 AM
It's the HS820. Here's a review and its also on Motorola's web site:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=822&source=BROWSER

But at the bottom it says with an asterix:
* May not be as shown

Sparkomatic
12-09-2005, 10:58 AM
I use a Cellpoint Flamingo and love it. I've used it with a Treo, Pocket PC phone and now my 8700c. I also use the Motorola BT Speakerphone in my car and that works pretty good too.

mzini
12-09-2005, 11:07 AM
I bought the H500 and I love this headset. Connects perfectly with the 8700, great battery, lightweight, and extremely comfortable. I used to have a Jabra and those things are painful. I prefer the ones that gently sit over the top of your ear, rather than stick inside of your ear. When I am on the H500 the other person on the line can't even tell I am on a headset. And, its affordable!

A-Train
12-09-2005, 12:06 PM
The Plantronics 640 has been working great from day one with the 8700c. Easy to set up and use, lasts long between charges; the range is only about 20 feet, though, before the signal gets too weak or static-filled.

Quick question: Can I seamlessly use 2 different 640s (such as keep one 640 at home and a second at my office)? Is it as simple as going thru the same setup process with the second 640 as I did with the first, and then each 640 will connect seamlessly with the same 8700 device?

To take it a step further, is there a limit as to how many 640s can work seamlessly with the same 8700? (That is, leave a 640 in my car, another at home, another at my office, etc.)

Thank you ahead of time for any definitive insight.

Zoinks
12-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Not sure why you would want to do this, but it is possible. There would just be multiple 640's in your blackberry bluetooth list.

From experiece using both a flamingo and the 640, if you have two headsets in range of the 8700, you have to drop the one that is connected to connect the other. This means it won't automatically drop the connected one to connect to another device.

cosmojunkie
12-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I have tested 6 Bluetooth headsets paired with the 8700 in an everyday working environment for about 4 days each. In real estate I generally make and except around 50 - 80 calls per day. My observations are...

(n) Motorola HS820 - Too much lag time when answering and terminating calls. Loose fit, low volume issues, and static when in conversation. Poor range.

(n) Motorola HS850 - Too much lag time when answering and terminating calls. Loose fit, low volume issues, and static when in conversation. Poor range.

(n) Motorola H500 - Too much lag time when answering and terminating calls. Loose fit, low volume issues, and static when in conversation. Poor range.

(n) Motorola H700 - This headset is super tiny, 1/3 the size of the HS850 and looks sharp. It has a nice fit due to it's weight and size. It is however plagued with problems as well. Volume is better than the HS850 but you have to have it turned to maximum volume and that still isn't very great. The main problem is lots of static while wearing the 8700 on the same side that you are wearing the headset and anywhere more than 5 feet away from it. I was really disappointed with this one's performance, especially at $130.

(y) Plantronics 640 - This is a great headset. Had to keep the volume at half, and had great clarity. Range was about 20 feet before you get any static. You can wear it with the earclip and can easily be worn without it by just inserting the eargel into the ear. This headset would be great for anyone that wears glasses. The case you carry it around in vibrates when a call comes in but the headset tends to fit loosely in it and could easily become lost. I had to return this one because it quit charging, just a defective unit. I think I may pick another one of these up as a secondary headset.

(y) Plantronics 510 - This is the best headset I found for performance with the 8700. It connects and terminates calls perfectly with only a hint of delay. It is surprisingly comfortable being an "over the ear" design and is very light. I have to keep the volume at half and voice clarity is excellent. Range is outstanding, I can leave the 8700 in one room and go three rooms away without any static. That's at least 30 feet with walls obstructing the signal.

I of course returned all the headsets that did not perform to my satisfaction, I don't need all those lying around. I am definitely keeping the Plantronics 510 and as I said above, will probably pick up another Plantronics 640 as a secondary headset. Hope this helps anyone that has the question "which BT headset performs best with the 8700.

Shane
NC

Stinsonddog
12-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I have the 510 and love it too. I am always concerned about losing the windsock and that is why the 640 is appealing to me. Also like the way it charges. Thoughts?

I

(y) Plantronics 510 - This is the best headset I found for performance with the 8700. It connects and terminates calls perfectly with only a hint of delay. It is surprisingly comfortable being an "over the ear" design and is very light. I have to keep the volume at half and voice clarity is excellent. Range is outstanding, I can leave the 8700 in one room and go three rooms away without any static. That's at least 30 feet with walls obstructing the signal.

AlbertoM
12-13-2005, 07:13 PM
To take it a step further, is there a limit as to how many 640s can work seamlessly with the same 8700? (That is, leave a 640 in my car, another at home, another at my office, etc.)

I believe the limit is eight devices, then when you add the ninth, the first device is deleted.

AlbertoM
12-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Oh, BTW, the BT connection seems to be more robust with the Wave theme. I get way less disconnects with my Plantronics 640 and the 8700. Go figure.

dominguezh
12-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the lengthy reviews Shane! I am going to try the 640 first. If that is not good enough I will try the 510. Thanks again.

Hector

torifile
12-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I use the SE HBH-662. It's good and I believe that it supports named caller ID with the 8700 (because it uses BT 2.0). I haven't had the opportunity to use that nifty feature yet, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

MegaBit
12-13-2005, 09:03 PM
I've purchased a bunch from this place and have received quick service and they have great prices (compared to what some have quoted here):

justelise
12-13-2005, 10:04 PM
I have the Motorola HS805 which takes a AAA battery which is pretty nifty for people who always forget to plug in stuff to charge because:
- It has a talk time of up to 22 hours
- And a Standby time of up to 20 Days

I also had a Plantronics but it sounded like crap and it kept falling off my ear (I've got relatively small ears).

I've seen a lot of Jabras but they also seem to be made for the giant ear set. I am just waiting to get my free Motorola headset in the mail to see how it compares to the one I have.

cosmojunkie
12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Stinsonddog,
I have not used the "windsock" yet...I have not found a need to. Maybe on a very windy day I'll try it. Guess I will try to keep it in my wallet or something until I need it.

Shane
NC

Inphektion
12-14-2005, 10:02 AM
(n) Motorola H700 - This headset is super tiny, 1/3 the size of the HS850 and looks sharp. It has a nice fit due to it's weight and size. It is however plagued with problems as well. Volume is better than the HS850 but you have to have it turned to maximum volume and that still isn't very great. The main problem is lots of static while wearing the 8700 on the same side that you are wearing the headset and anywhere more than 5 feet away from it. I was really disappointed with this one's performance, especially at $130.

I've had no such issues with my H700, its been the best BT headset I've had so far. Better than the HS850 and flamingo.

edit: oh and you can find it for $80 online, not $130.

cosmojunkie
12-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I bought 2 H700s and used them with 3 different 8700s and had the same problem. I am sure that many factors come into play when pairing electronic devices together. This is why I state the best results "I" received.

I am sure you can find the H700 online for less than $80 if you look hard enough...$130 is the average price that most advertise it for, not the price that someone would pay for it that needs to price shop.

Shane
NC

sbagdan
12-14-2005, 11:26 AM
I just got the Jabra BT-500 (the newest Jabra) and LOVE it! I have a 7250 (sorry on vzw, no 8700 yet!) and used to have a 7290. I used the Moto HS-850 for about 1 year and loved it, but with the 7250, it was echoing and people were complaining. So I got the BT-500 from Jabra and, WOW, I can hear better (even in loud enviroments!) and it is so comfertable (I wore it for 8 hours one day and forgot I had it on!)

Just my 2 cents, sorry can't comment on the 8700 and BT, but I uncerstand that the BT500 is CERTIFIED by Jabra to work.

DaMaDo
12-14-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm still waiting for another LCD BT headset. I screen my calls a lot and would love the caller ID on the headset itself...but I heard the only current example of that is not very good.

pawn
12-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Cast my vote for the Plantronics Discovery 640. I really wanted to try out the Bluetooth capability of my 8700, so I picked up a new Motorola device (can't recall the model) at a Rogers retail outlet. Despite my worry and query about compatibility, I was assured it would work with the 8700. It didn't, I couldn't pair it (not discovered).

I returned it and tried a Plantronics Voyager 510 from Future Shop, since a couple of people in here recmmended it. This device was recognized and * could hear calls, etc. but the function button was usesless (wouldn't answer or end calls). Who knows, maybe there was something wrong with it, since a few people here seem to endorse this device.

Returned it and picked up the Plantronics Discovery 640 and everything works great. Features work, great sound, small and easy to wear. I was worried about the sensitivity while driving (based on comments here), but friends say it sounded great.

Get it.

casmer
12-17-2005, 03:57 AM
Another vote for the Plantronics 510. Very nice and the sound is amazing. As some others have said, I have the volume at half loudness and hear people amazingly. I have only had it a couple of days now, but have not had a single complaint from the people I am talking to as well. Most don't seem to know I am on a headset while talking to them.

I tried a Moto 810 with no real luck. I have also tried on a couple of the other models. Out of the Motos, the H500 seem to fit the best, but none of the Motos have a great feel to me. They all feel too loose.

Rockefella
12-17-2005, 04:58 AM
I just got the Cellpoint Flamingo after doing a lot of research into BT headsets. I think it's fantastic. It sits outside my ear but doesn't use an over-the-ear clip - so it doesn't impede my hearing and is extremely comfortable and tight-fitting. I forget it's even there.

The sound is perfect. It might not be as loud as the Plantronics 640 but so far, it's good enough for me.

The battery life is claimed to be 8 hours. We'll see how true that is, but if it is, that's pretty darn good.

tc94040
12-17-2005, 01:17 PM
I tried a Moto 810 with no real luck.

I'm using the Motorola 810 without any problems on the 8700c.

Inphektion
12-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I just got the Cellpoint Flamingo after doing a lot of research into BT headsets. I think it's fantastic. It sits outside my ear but doesn't use an over-the-ear clip - so it doesn't impede my hearing and is extremely comfortable and tight-fitting. I forget it's even there.

The sound is perfect. It might not be as loud as the Plantronics 640 but so far, it's good enough for me.

The battery life is claimed to be 8 hours. We'll see how true that is, but if it is, that's pretty darn good.

Yea the only thing I hated about the flamingo is turning it on and off. You can beat flipping the boom open on the H700 to turn on and flipping it closed to turn off. Thats why I like the H700 better than the flamingo.

stevew
12-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Using the Plantronics 320 & 640. Volume is very loud on both, but both do not work well when crossing the body...this problem is only particular to the 8700R though (tried 5 of them so far). My HS850 doesn't have the issue, but has low volume on both sides...The plantronics unit are best both on the sending and receiving end...loads of volume and clarity.

jcricket
12-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Does anyone know if the Moto H700 uses the standard moto charger or the newer "min-usb" standard (like the BB8700c)? I'd love to get a headset that can use the same charger as the BB.

casmer
12-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Yeah, the real problem for me on that one was the fit. I didn't think the volume was that great either, but that also could have been a fit issue. Maybe it is just my head or ears or both because none of the Motos really work for me.

Inphektion
12-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Does anyone know if the Moto H700 uses the standard moto charger or the newer "min-usb" standard (like the BB8700c)? I'd love to get a headset that can use the same charger as the BB.

Yes same charger as the BB. At least same mini usb port. Chargers have slightly different ratings on them but they both work on the other device.

Dubdub
12-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I am currently using the Jabra bt250v with my 8700c. Volume is good. Charge last a long time, 3 days with my amount of use, And the best thing is that the headset vibrates when a call is coming in and I can leave the 8700 on vibrate and not have it ring and ring and ring.

torifile
12-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I know I recommended the hbh-662 earlier in the thread, but it's been annoying me lately. I don't know how BT is supposed to work on the 8700, but I'm sure it's not supposed to hang up on people if I switch the headset in mid call, right? If I start a call with the handset and switch to the headset, it will hang up. Every time. That can't be right. So, I'm going to be in the market for a new one. :\

mgerbasio
12-18-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm waiting on barJohn to post his results with the nxzen plus. His review sounded promising. I'm have the same problem torifile, my hbh-300 doesn't work well with my 8700c, I'm charging my H810 to see if I have any better luck. I've only been using the wired headset with this phone.

Regards-Michael G.

stoxx
12-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Anyone here using the Plantronics 510 that wears glasses?
Just wondering what the fit is like?

Cheers

RoadRider
12-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Haven't heard this one mentioned, but the SonyEricsson HBH-662 works great. Easy, reliable pairing/BT connection, great sound quality/volume, fast call pick-up, light/comfortable, and...caller id. Originally used it w/Treo 650.

torifile
12-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Haven't heard this one mentioned, but the SonyEricsson HBH-662 works great. Easy, reliable pairing/BT connection, great sound quality/volume, fast call pick-up, light/comfortable, and...caller id. Originally used it w/Treo 650.
I mentioned it and I also mentioned that I've been having problems keeping it paired and disconnecting calls if switched during a call. I'm looking for another headset now since it seems to be problematic.

DaMaDo
12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Has anyone gotten their hands on this baby: http://www.shop4tech.com/item4591.html ?

If that one works well, it will be my next purchase =)

barjohn
12-20-2005, 01:05 AM
I can tell you from my reviews that Tekkeon units have very good sound quality. I thought the build quality could be better and maybe they have improved it with this unit. I haven't tested it so I can't say for sure.

barjohn
12-20-2005, 01:07 AM
My initial test of the nXZEN 5500 plus with the 8700c was dissapointing. I don't know if it was due to not being fully charged or it just doesn't work well with the 8700c. I will do more testing this week and post the results.

Rockefella
12-20-2005, 04:53 AM
I've been using my cellpoint Flamingo with my 8700c for about a week now. Overall, I really like it. Here's my gripes so far:

1. The earpads detach from the headset too easily, even when I'm removing the headset from my ear. I worry that I'll lose them.
2. Sometimes I get static even when the phone is right next to the headset (but only a couple of times so far).
3. The volume is sometimes too low. I wish the volume went higher.
4. The necklace is REALLY LAME. It's fragile and made of super cheap materials. It also looks stupid to have the necklace attachment hanging like an earring from the headset.
5. The on/off button is a pain to use (takes a lot of finger pressure). This can be inconvenient, especially for those times when you want to talk into the 8700c rather than use the flamingo.

But on the bright side:

1. Battery life is fabulous. It never seems to run out of power.
2. The headset floats outside the ear, so you can still hear everything around you.
3. The fit is really secure and comfortable. I forget it's there and my ear never aches. It takes practice to quickly get the headset inserted into your ear, but once you get it down, it's pretty easy.
4. There's no goofy blue light flashing on the outside and the headset is small, so you don't look like a nerd wearing it.

I'm very happy with the Flamingo. I'd probably only consider a Plantronics because of its superior sound. But for now, I'll just stick with the Flamingo.

barjohn
12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
I would like to comment on your observations:
1. I have not experienced the earpads coming off the headset except when I wanted to remove them. However, I haven't changed mine in some time once I found the size that suited me.
2. This has happened to me when the phone was on the opposite side from my headset.
3. You can adjust the volume with the track wheel on the the phone and it gets very loud. I rarely need to go to full volume. I usually use the track wheel rather than the volume control on the Flamingo.
4. I agree that having the nylon attachment dangling from the earpiece is lame but it is made of very strong material. If I could think of a better solution I would suggest it. However, I don't bother to detach it from the neck strap since It is only in my ear while I am using it as a headset in a call.
5. I agree that the on-off button takes a lot of pressure (too much) but you can transfer the call to the handset by clicking the track wheel during a call and selecting transfer to handset.

Try these suggestions and see what you think.

Rockefella
12-22-2005, 08:01 PM
I would like to comment on your observations:
1. I have not experienced the earpads coming off the headset except when I wanted to remove them. However, I haven't changed mine in some time once I found the size that suited me.
2. This has happened to me when the phone was on the opposite side from my headset.
3. You can adjust the volume with the track wheel on the the phone and it gets very loud. I rarely need to go to full volume. I usually use the track wheel rather than the volume control on the Flamingo.
4. I agree that having the nylon attachment dangling from the earpiece is lame but it is made of very strong material. If I could think of a better solution I would suggest it. However, I don't bother to detach it from the neck strap since It is only in my ear while I am using it as a headset in a call.
5. I agree that the on-off button takes a lot of pressure (too much) but you can transfer the call to the handset by clicking the track wheel during a call and selecting transfer to handset.

Try these suggestions and see what you think.

Dubdub
12-22-2005, 10:04 PM
I just got the Jabra BT-500 (the newest Jabra) and LOVE it! I have a 7250 (sorry on vzw, no 8700 yet!) and used to have a 7290. I used the Moto HS-850 for about 1 year and loved it, but with the 7250, it was echoing and people were complaining. So I got the BT-500 from Jabra and, WOW, I can hear better (even in loud enviroments!) and it is so comfertable (I wore it for 8 hours one day and forgot I had it on!)

Just my 2 cents, sorry can't comment on the 8700 and BT, but I uncerstand that the BT500 is CERTIFIED by Jabra to work.

Does the BT-500 vibrate when you receive an incoming call like the BT-250v? Ilooked at the product specs and it didn't mention that.

Thanks.

barjohn
12-22-2005, 10:08 PM
I just received a Plantronics D640 and ordered a Sony Ericsson HBH 610 so I will be doing testing over the next week and see how these new boys compare to the current top three.

RoadRider
12-22-2005, 10:41 PM
BT800 seems to work just fine with 8700c. Pairs easily, picks up calls instantly, clear audio (volume could be a little louder for me, but maybe it's the auto volume thing working), other party says audio is good, hangs up quickly. As others have reported, it's a little heavy compared to Moto 820, but caller ID is really nice. Also nice to be able to redial previous numbers form the headset. Comes with a nice little belt case that is good for when phone is in your pocket. Battery life is great- better than any I have tried so far (an early behind the ear Jabra, HBH-600, HBH-662, Moto 820).

barjohn
12-23-2005, 12:12 AM
I just started my testing on the Plantronics D640. My initial impression is good but I have a lot of testing left to do. I thought I would give you a quick sound bite to hear what it sounds like when paired with the 8700.

Quiet background test: http://www.barjohn.com/Public_downloads/D640-Quiet.wav

Loud Background Test: http://www.barjohn.com/Public_downloads/D640-Loud.wav

Distance Test: http://www.barjohn.com/Public_downloads/D640-Distance.wav

luckiweeman
12-23-2005, 09:06 AM
I've had the Plantronics Discovery 640 and absolutely love it. The only complain I have is the the only way to charge the headset is through that sleeve you keep it in. I almost lost it twice since it slips off so easily. Other than that, it's a great headset.

whsbuss
12-23-2005, 11:33 AM
barJohn,

Any chance you can test the Moto H700 BT headset?

cosmojunkie
12-23-2005, 11:36 AM
"Anyone here using the Plantronics 510 that wears glasses?
Just wondering what the fit is like?"

My wife wears glasses with her Plantronics 510. She says that it is a very comfortable fit. It does go over your ear so it has to "share space" with the arm of your glasses.

barjohn
12-23-2005, 12:19 PM
barJohn,

Any chance you can test the Moto H700 BT headset?

Probably not. The reason is that I have to purchase these headsets myself and it gets expensive. I now own 6 Bluetooth headsets. I try and pick headsets that have something unique to offer and that I won't mind being stuck with. I receive no income from this endeavor so I am limited on how many I can undertake. So far, Moto seems to recycle the same basic headsets in slightly different packaging and early reviews I read and my own prior experience with the Moto units is that they are not impressive devices. The biggest factor they have going for them is the Moto name. I realize that there are plenty of folks that are not super critical and quite content with the Moto units. However, in my opinion, this is because they have never heard what they sound like nor compared the sound to really good units. The flip on and off boom mic is a nice feature but it takes more.

hf1khal
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Well I got the h700 and I had to return for an exchange as I was getting crackling sounds all over from my end and could not go more than 10 ft with it. Tried all possibilites and it did not work as good as H500 (which was loud and clear and no one ever knew I was using the headset and that includes while driving and the window open (at around 70 mph). Once I get th replacement for the H700 (hopefully it will not do the same as the other) I willpost my finding too. I know that my 8700c is good as the 850 and the 500 do give me a a good distance of about 25 feet with 2 walls in between and no sound breakup from either end.

whsbuss
12-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info on the H700. I can appreciate spending $$$ for all these headsets, barJohn. Juat thought I'd catch any comments on the new Moto. My friend who owns blueheadsets.com said it was so new he didn't have any comments from his customers yet.

barjohn
12-23-2005, 05:59 PM
If your friend wants to provide any review units I would be happy to review them and send them back after I complete my review(s). He should know that I usually need 3 weeks as it is a part time hobby and I have to squeeze it in among my other work that pays the bills.

AlbertoM
12-23-2005, 06:14 PM
John

Good choices, I love my Plantronics D640, but, and it is a big but, it disconnects often and for no determinable reason. It may go for hours without a disconnect, and then it will disconnect every few minutes for a while. Most often it will reconnect again on its own, sometimes not. If I am sitting down, with the headset on my right ear and the 8700 on my left hip, I can get it to disconnect 100% of the time by standing up and walking. Low boop when it disconnects, high beep when it connects. Easy to just tap to reconnect - but irritating nevertheless. Particularly in the rare times that a call comes in while it has chosen to disconnect, and I have to tap once, wait, then tap again.

Otherwise a great concept with almost too high a volume, which comes with almost every known connector except, inexplicably, mini-usb (which I bought separately). Little quirky with the use of a sleeve for charging, but that affectation allows for the travel-and-vibrate-in-your-pocket-charger.

I tried the Nextlink BlueSpoon AX (barJohn reviews it) which I previously owned, and it had one or two disconnects over the same period of time. While I don't use the AX anymore (voice/sound quality issues) is made me think that it was the 8700. Then I ordered a Sony Ericsson HBH 610, as I figured before I did battle with Motorola/RIM about the BlueTooth radio I had to be sure...

So far I am on my second day wearing it about 8 hours a day with absolutely no disconnect. Not once. Right ear wear for BT headset, left side carry for 8700, leave BB in the car while I walk around and gas up, not one disconnect. Oh, it is not perfect. The digital speech can sound clippy, and when it compensates for ambient noise it really compensates - and I am still toying around with the ear hook for comfort (very limited adjustment - I will probably adjust it some with hot water), but this is a keeper for me. It does what I want my headsets to do - which is work and stay connected!

Looking forwards to your detailed reviews!!

Plantronics D640 and ordered a Sony Ericsson HBH 610

AlbertoM
12-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info on the H700. I can appreciate spending $$$ for all these headsets, barJohn. Juat thought I'd catch any comments on the new Moto. My friend who owns blueheadsets.com said it was so new he didn't have any comments from his customers yet.
I have bought all my headsets (about 4 or 5, I pass them to other employees) from Blueheadsets. Mark has always been very helpful and the service and delivery is excellent. No, I don't work for them~ :smile: (y)

barjohn
12-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the disconnect issue. So far I have not experienced that issue. As you can hear in my distance test I played with moving the unit to the opposite side from the handset and moved it all over the place without a disconnect. However, I should point out that my Bluetooth module in my 8700r (the unit I have been testing with) is version 4.1.0.206 and in my 8700c it is version 4.1.0.194. It is possible that somethings got changed or fixed from one version to the next.

So far my bigggest complaint is keeping the headset in the charger sleeve. It tends to easily pop out on its own. Any fixes you found? I like the vibrate feature of the sleeve.

AlbertoM
12-23-2005, 08:13 PM
I carefully reached into the sleeve with a piece of plastic (the clip of a Bic pen) and lightly bent the contacts outwards. Seems to be better. But it still likes to pop out.

There are some anecdotal reports that some themes are better than others with Bliue Tooth. No empirical evidence, but something that you may like to look at.

I did find it sensitive to position, with a lot of static with the 8700C in my left side, earpiece on my right. My module is 4.10.194. One would hope for an update with the future (hopefully soon) firmware release. Would be interesting to repeat the same test with the 8700R and the 8700C.

Once I settled on an earpiece (in my case the smallest gel) it was more comfortable for me than the AX's spring. Still takes a bit of nudging here and there to get it to fit. The built in holes to allow some air to break the seal are a good idea.

Easy to adjust the volume with either the switches or the jog dial. I found it almost too loud and I am half deaf in one ear and don't hear well out of the other (the '60's concerts were good to me!)

j7m7r7
12-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Does the BT-500 vibrate when you receive an incoming call like the BT-250v? Ilooked at the product specs and it didn't mention that.

Thanks.

I think you are correct- does not vibrate (also doesn't come with that charger which was suppose to double as a way to carry the device). I can only say two things with any certainty: first the BT500 does work fine with the 8700, and two, it's a far superior device compared to the 250. I returned two of the 250's before upgrading. Both had terrible disconnect issues and died after the 2nd charge (yeah, both). I've had no disconnect problems with 500, and so far it still turns on! However this is no reccomendation to run out and get one. Although people seem to be able to hear me and vice versa, the sound quality is poor. Also it doesn't use a standard mini-usb, you have to use the usb cord they provide if you want to charge it using laptop- I find this supremely stupid and incovinient. Overall, I think its ok- voluime is very good, and the form factor is comfortable (stays where it's supposed to), but have no doubts there are much better headsets available.

barjohn
12-24-2005, 12:29 AM
I took a small piece of foam that has sticky tape on one side and is about 1/32" thick and applied it along one side of the tube. Now it is snug but yet can be slid out without too much strain. Seems to help with the charger too as it tended to work out and since the light goes out when it does you think it is fully charged when it isn't. (Referring to the D640 here in case anyone wonders what I am talking about.)

Stinsonddog
12-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Do you like this set up? What are the pros and cons. I like the idea of using a portable charger. Do you really think you can't use a rechargeable battery in it. I think it says not too but I don't see how it can hurt. I would just through a few of those in my bag for my travels? Thoughts?

I took a small piece of foam that has sticky tape on one side and is about 1/32" thick and applied it along one side of the tube. Now it is snug but yet can be slid out without too much strain. Seems to help with the charger too as it tended to work out and since the light goes out when it does you think it is fully charged when it isn't. (Referring to the D640 here in case anyone wonders what I am talking about.)

AlbertoM
12-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Do you like this set up? What are the pros and cons. I like the idea of using a portable charger. Do you really think you can't use a rechargeable battery in it. I think it says not too but I don't see how it can hurt. I would just through a few of those in my bag for my travels? Thoughts?
Dog - it uses AAA, and each AAA will charge it from flat to full three times. I don't see why it would not use rechargables, but then you have to worry about recharging those. I usually drop a couple of AAA in my suitcase or carry on and a couple in my briefcase and I am set...and even that is overkill.

barjohn
12-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Rechargeables would kind of kill the purpose because you already have a rechargeable in the headset. It is to give you a third option to essentailly (indirectly) use a AAA disposable without having the weight of a AAA hanging in your ear.

I will hold off on further opinions on the unit until I conclude my testing. I was merely trying to take in the feedback I was getting to make sure I properly test the unit and discover any problems that might exist (if I can). As many of you know, units can vary in their behavior from one handset to another. I will also pair and test with a 7290. I wish I had a few other popular handsets to test with but I don't.

Stinsonddog
12-26-2005, 05:45 PM
I have lots of them from my digital cameras and mp3 players. They are environmentally better and just there for me. I noticed the manual says don't use them. Not sure why. Those would be the reasons for me.

Dog - it uses AAA, and each AAA will charge it from flat to full three times. I don't see why it would not use rechargables, but then you have to worry about recharging those. I usually drop a couple of AAA in my suitcase or carry on and a couple in my briefcase and I am set...and even that is overkill.

kurichan
12-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Don't get the Motorola HS820. It was so bad that I returned it. Low volume and the other party always complained of strange noises.

TC-TX
12-27-2005, 12:26 PM
The BEST BY FAR - IMO -

The SCALA 500 by CARDO

Best Battery Life
Best Form Factor
Ease of Mating
Best PRICE by far!

barjohn
12-27-2005, 12:44 PM
If the criteria you list is what makes it best for you then that is ok. Most of us have far more stingent criteria such as comfort for extended wear, usability with glasses and most importantly sound quality on both ends of the call. I seriously doubt you have tried every BT headset on the market since price seems to be a factor in your list. While I wouldn't pay any price, I would pay a high price for one that actually meets all of my requirements at a 9+ on a scale of 0-10. Before you make blanket statements, please back them up with some facts so a new user doesn't conclude that your statement is a basis to go out and buy a unit. I am sure that the Scala 500 is a good unit for the money but I have read too many posts that are critical of the unit. I may still go out and buy one to test it in the near future to put the argument to the test once and for all.

RoadRider
12-27-2005, 01:01 PM
My Jabra BT800 trial is now over. Functionally it does everything I think I want/need from a headset, but, it is not comfortable to wear, and I use a headset a lot. While not a deal breaker, I also wish it used a mini USB charging connection so the same charger could be used for the phone or the headset. Oh, well, it's going back. and I'm going to miss caller ID. I think I am going to try the moto h700 next. Love its form factor and the mini USB charging. Someone here mentioned an 8700 freeze that might have been associated with the h700, but I think I'm gonna try it anyway - it may not have been related after all.

TC-TX
12-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Yes barjohn - I have tried virtually everything out there - by virture of my position within the Mobile & Wireless Data world, I get them from OEM's to test and to sell.

Price is an issue,
as is sound quality
and weight
and wearability (especially with glasses)
and everything else one uses to rate a particular product.

As stated, IMO - all things considered - it is a winner in virtually every aspect.

kjaslow
12-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Anybody using the optional Motorola adapter for the D640 to get the Blackberry mini-USB charger to work with it? Does it work as any other charger?

AlbertoM
12-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Anybody using the optional Motorola adapter for the D640 to get the Blackberry mini-USB charger to work with it? Does it work as any other charger?
Not sure what you mean. The D640 comes with several adapters that fit the charging sleeve. Then all you do after you snap the adapter is to plug in the phone charger it matches, i.e., Motorola charger to Moto base, Sony Erickson charger to SE base. I ordered the mini-usb adapter so that you can plug in the mini-usb for the BB or the RAZR. All it does is change whatever you can plug in the bottom. Otherwise you plug in their proprietary charger in the bottom or the longer sleeve with the AAA battery which also vibrates. Hope that made it clear.

barjohn
12-27-2005, 10:08 PM
I have now posted my review of the Plantronics D640 on my site along with a 6 headset sound quality shoot out. Enjoy!

hf1khal
12-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Well I just received my new H700 replacement and is beign charged. I wil be testing it tommorow with several callls from diferent real life enviroments and will report back as to what i think. I will also state how it performs as compared to teh h500 which so far ahs been perfect unlike the 850 which has some issues with the 8700c that i have.

gregg
12-28-2005, 07:50 AM
I have now posted my review of the Plantronics D640 on my site along with a 6 headset sound quality shoot out. Enjoy!

John,
In regards to the 640 falling out of the charging cradle, this is a known issue by Plantronics, however, they have not disclosed if this affects a certain production run, etc. I had the problem with 2/3 headsets I purchased & returning them for a replacement resolved the issue. Wanted to provide an FYI to you & anyone else having the problem -

barjohn
12-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Gregg, thanks for the information. I will add it to my review. I didn't think to call them for a fix. Duh!

hf1khal
12-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Ok here is my assesment of teh h700. The sound is good on both ends. I left a voicemail while in a car and window open (right ear usage) the sound was still good and no background noise. In house testing with quite enviroment all was clear. Distance wise it gets about 20 feet before it starts to become choppy. With noisy back ground TV on loud enough todisturb any conversation, both incoming and outgoing was voice wasclear and no complaints from the other calling party and loud from my side and I did not need to lower the volume on the TV while I was listening to the other party. Compared to the h500 the call voice quaity is about par with each other but when it came to the TV sound, the H700 was a better choice for the listening party as it masked more of the noise. The H500 gave a better distance and went close to about 28 feet before breaking up. Now taking both to compare to the HS850, they both win big against it. My take would be teh H700 for over all and following very closely is the H500. Oh yes the connection side, the H700 was the fastest in connecting with the BB 8700.

P.S. All my tests were done on the same 8700.

RoadRider
12-28-2005, 07:22 PM
hf1khal's experience with the h700 matches mine completely. Until a viable caller id headset emerges, h700 is the one for me.

CowboyChris
12-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Jabra JX10? It looks really nice, is almost prohibitively expensive, and was apparently designed by Jacob Jensen Design (whatever). However, this is all worthless if the sounds quality isn't likewise phenomenal. Can anyone comment on this? TIA!

hf1khal
12-28-2005, 09:10 PM
well J&R has it for $139 at this link: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=JAB+JX10&JRSource=PriceGrabber.datafeed.JAB+JX10

barjohn
12-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I have a question for those of you that use the SOny Ericsson headsets. I just received the HBH 610 and I find it almost impossible to put it on much less position it so the mic is where it should be. After putting it on, if you can call it that, it hurts like the dickens. I will post a picture later tonight to show you what I mean. Maybe there is a trick I don't know.

hf1khal
12-28-2005, 09:21 PM
evry SE BT headset that I owned (well from 2 years ago) gave me a hard tome to use and they hurt as heck when I had it on for more that 15 minutes. It was even worese when using it with sunglasses. That is one reason I never thought of even going near an SE BT headset ever again.

deezmfnutz
12-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Picked up a bluespoon ax2, and so far have been very happy with the voice quality, no static. Headset volume is a little low, but accceptable. The size, comfort, and apperance of the unit are great. I hate bluetooth headsets that make you look like a borg robot, chicks don't dig it.

RoadRider
12-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I have a question for those of you that use the SOny Ericsson headsets. I just received the HBH 610 and I find it almost impossible to put it on much less position it so the mic is where it should be. After putting it on, if you can call it that, it hurts like the dickens. I will post a picture later tonight to show you what I mean. Maybe there is a trick I don't know.

No experience with the 610 but I had a 660 and 662 on a Treo 650 The ear hook on the 660 was awful. Couldn't get the speaker over my ear canal without the hook digging into my ear. Solved that by removing the hook and putting a jabra ear gel on it. Comfy and loud. The clip on the 662 was quite a bit better, but the headset had connection problems with my 8700. Hope this helps.

barjohn
12-28-2005, 10:41 PM
I find that there is no way to position the ear piece over the ear canal with the hook's pivot point location. This appears to be an error in design based on perhaps the Asian ear model as opposed to the European/American size ears. The circular earpiece is not far enough removed from the earhook to create a down angle for the microphone and proper placement of the unit on the ear. When you try and force it, it becomes very painful and still isn't sitting correctly on the ear.

barjohn
12-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Here are the promissed photos so you can see what I mean. First, I hold the headset so the earpiece is whare it should be and you can see where the earhook lands. Then, I finally force it on my ear with great difficulty and this is the best I could position it. It is off by about 3/32" which is just enough to hurt. I include a backside picture so you can see the distance from the fulcrom point on the earhook and the earpiece. Note that the earpiece is pushing against the cartilidge in the back of the ear and levaing a gap near the ear canal. It is that pinching that hurts.

RoadRider
12-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Did they release the 610 before or after the 660?

barjohn
12-29-2005, 12:39 AM
Did they release the 610 before or after the 660?

I believe after.

Also, I have now completed my review of the HBH-610 on my web site.

AlbertoM
12-29-2005, 12:53 AM
John
The 610 has now become my primary headset. I had the same problem that you did at first, then I let the ear hook dictate the position of the earpiece, and not the other way around - which is what you seem to be doing. In my case, the earpience is not over the ear canal. It is loud enough that it does not have to be. It is loud enogu that I have to turn it down to the minimum. In my case it fits right behind the ear canal. This is a good thing, as then I am free to hear other things and it does not block airflow.

I put it on by sliding on the ear hook until it fits naturally, then swing the boom down until it roughly aims towards the top of my mouth. That places the earpiece behind my ear canal, the mic is aiming towards my moustache and there is no pain.

I would prefer the ear hook to be a bit looser, and I have toyed with the idea of perhaps dipping it into hot water and see if it bends a bit - but I haven't been that brave. Yet.

I have had it disconnect three times since I had it, so I may call Cing/RIM and see what they have to say - but it does not drop off anywhere near the Plantronics...which is still a heck of a BT earpiece.

barjohn
12-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Alberto, in back-to-back comparison tests with people I have called and made suffer through my headset tests they unanimously preferred the sound of the D640 the the HBH-610. Equally, important to me was the sound on my end was far better with the D640 compared to the HBH-610. Having the units speaker sitting on the flap of my ear was uncomfortable to me. While I could endure it for a short period I would not be able to stand it for long. The design of the D640, even though it is an in the ear design does not block outside sound and neither does the Flamingo. Both have passages for outside sound to reach the ear. I have not experienced any of the disconnect issues you have had with either headset yet. Perhaps you have a defective Bluetooth radio or one operating marginally.

AlbertoM
12-29-2005, 01:23 AM
Oh, I don't disagree. If I can get the disconnects taken care of, the D640 would be my first choice. And it does have ear channels or breathing canals which helps. I wasn't criticizing - I was just offering the way that the 610 works for me!

barjohn
12-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Alberto, I was just trying to make sure you knew that it was not the sound blocking type like the Shure E3C headsets. I will add your comments on how to live with the HBH-610 to my post so that I am fair to the device.

kjaslow
12-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for reviewing the two headsets I've been wodering about! I also have the D640, and really like it. Your review of the HBH-610 would have had to be pretty amazing for me to consider switching.

One comment about the review - I was hoping to see some mention of any features that Bluetooth 2.0 provided for the 610. Did you notice anything at all?

Thanks!

barjohn
12-29-2005, 12:12 PM
I could not discern any difference between a 1.2 and 2.0 device. I suspect that it is because 2.0 really has to do with data transfer speed and that is not an issue on a headset.

barjohn
12-31-2005, 07:48 PM
I have just updated and changed my web site. I look forward to comments and feedback. Check out the new surprise headset.

jonlevine
01-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Thought I might post my experiences to (hopefully) help someone out when making a choice for a BT headset.

I started with the Moto 850, which I had been using with my 7100. When I got my 8700c, I continued to use the 850 without issue. The only problem I ever had with that headset was that, occasionally, it would flop around and felt like it might fall off. Unfortunately, the button on the unit broke and I was unable to fix it. This began my quest for a new headset.

The first one I bought was a Plantronics Explorer 320. I loved the way this headset felt when wearing it and still think it is one of the most, if not the most, comfortable on the market. It is diminutive in size and very easy to slip on and off. The problem was, the range is terrible! If I had my BB in my pocket as opposed to the holster (on the same side of my body as the headset) the audio broke up. If I would sit at my desk and had my BB infront of me then turn my head to put it (my head) between the BB and the headset, static. I used to walk two rooms away in my apartment using my 850 and never heard anything but clear audio. Such a shame, becuase the E320 would have been perfect if not for that audio issue.

Returning the 320, I bought the Jabra BT800. I took it out of the box and tried to put it on. This wasn't very easy, in fact, I had to use two hands and once on it was very uncomfortable. Then I saw myself in the mirror with what looked like a VCR on the side of my face and I returned the unit without ever even charging it!

Next up was the purchase of the Moto 700. I thought that if they could combine the quality of the 850 in a smaller package, it was bound to be a winner. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I found the volume on the unit to be extremely low and the same instability issues of flopping around were still present as they were with the 850. I may have biased myself due to my enjoyment of the Explorer 320's fitting in the ear. Going into the ear really gives a much more rock-solid feel than sitting over it. The audio clarity is also much better, when their wasn't static. So, the 700 went back.

Finally, and I think we have a winner, I purchased the Plantronics Discovery 640. I've been using it now for two days and it's phenomenal. It's extremely light and easy to wear and the audio quality is stunning. I have yet to take the headset more than one notch above its lowest setting and haven't pushed the BB volume up more than halfway, even while driving in the car. The range is good, not as much as the 850, but heads and shoulders above the 320. I can walk from room to room in my apt without losing audio clarity. The only gripe I have is putting it in your ear as I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I'm sure after a week or so, it will be old hat, but it's still a little clumsy to trying and "screw" it into your ear so it sits properly.

I hope that this helps someone else in their quest to find a good headset.

gadgtman
01-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Thought I might post my experiences to (hopefully) help someone out when making a choice for a BT headset.

I started with the Moto 850, which I had been using with my 7100. When I got my 8700c, I continued to use the 850 without issue. The only problem I ever had with that headset was that, occasionally, it would flop around and felt like it might fall off. Unfortunately, the button on the unit broke and I was unable to fix it. This began my quest for a new headset.

The first one I bought was a Plantronics Explorer 320. I loved the way this headset felt when wearing it and still think it is one of the most, if not the most, comfortable on the market. It is diminutive in size and very easy to slip on and off. The problem was, the range is terrible! If I had my BB in my pocket as opposed to the holster (on the same side of my body as the headset) the audio broke up. If I would sit at my desk and had my BB infront of me then turn my head to put it (my head) between the BB and the headset, static. I used to walk two rooms away in my apartment using my 850 and never heard anything but clear audio. Such a shame, becuase the E320 would have been perfect if not for that audio issue.

Returning the 320, I bought the Jabra BT800. I took it out of the box and tried to put it on. This wasn't very easy, in fact, I had to use two hands and once on it was very uncomfortable. Then I saw myself in the mirror with what looked like a VCR on the side of my face and I returned the unit without ever even charging it!

Next up was the purchase of the Moto 700. I thought that if they could combine the quality of the 850 in a smaller package, it was bound to be a winner. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I found the volume on the unit to be extremely low and the same instability issues of flopping around were still present as they were with the 850. I may have biased myself due to my enjoyment of the Explorer 320's fitting in the ear. Going into the ear really gives a much more rock-solid feel than sitting over it. The audio clarity is also much better, when their wasn't static. So, the 700 went back.

Finally, and I think we have a winner, I purchased the Plantronics Discovery 640. I've been using it now for two days and it's phenomenal. It's extremely light and easy to wear and the audio quality is stunning. I have yet to take the headset more than one notch above its lowest setting and haven't pushed the BB volume up more than halfway, even while driving in the car. The range is good, not as much as the 850, but heads and shoulders above the 320. I can walk from room to room in my apt without losing audio clarity. The only gripe I have is putting it in your ear as I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I'm sure after a week or so, it will be old hat, but it's still a little clumsy to trying and "screw" it into your ear so it sits properly.

I hope that this helps someone else in their quest to find a good headset.
Tell us your impressions of all the contracptions needed to make this thing work. Seriously, I know that sounds like sarcasm, but it seems you have to carry a separate piece of luggage to carry all the necessary components just to charge the damn thing. What a shame - this would be an absolute winner if you could just simply plug a charger into the headset.

RoadRider
01-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I have had the moto h700 for about a week now also. It does fit a little loosely, but it is quite comfortable and it has never come close to falling off. I find the volume in the ear piece not exceptional, but more than acceptable. But, I have found a big flaw with it (for me). When the mike is left open, the blue light on the headset blinks for a while and then turns of to save power (according to the manual). Ather the blue light stops blinking, the headset picks up incoming calls very slowly - in fact a couple have went to VM due to this. If the light is blinking, the headset picks up calls immediately. Do I have a bad headset? Anyone else experiencing this?

Magicmirror
01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Folks,

Great forum! This is my first post of what I look forward to be many.

I've got a Plantronics 510, which was working fine for the first week, but it is now disconnecting and reconnecting randomly (and regularly). I see that another user had this issue, but some people have also had general problems with the bluetooth on the 8700c and had to exchange their units.

So, I'm wondering if this is a general bluetooth problem or if this is a problem that others are consistently having with the 510. What do you think?

tc94040
01-02-2006, 01:59 AM

And, I just added the Jabra BT250v. No problems...

barjohn
01-02-2006, 03:00 AM
A little clarification on the Discovery 640. Yes, it comes with a multitude of adapters and a nice carrying case for all of the stuff; however, you only need to carry the Headset and charging barrel and one adaptor if you are using the USB adaptor to share with your BlackBerry and no adapters if you are using the wall charger which is very small. Another alternative is just bring the AAA battery charge barrel and the barrel headset holder and headset without the wall charger. It gives you options but you never really have to carry much and the barrel charger holder for the headset is a convenient way to carry the headset either in your pocket or clipped to a pocket.

jcricket
01-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know if the Motorola "dual mini-usb" adapter cables will work with the blackberry charger and a Moto H700?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5849308860

It's not critical for me to charge both the Blackberry and the headset at the same time, but on long business trips it'd be nice just to bring the one charger (the blackberry charger) for both the blackberry and the headset.

WMurray
01-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Anyone have any experience with Tekkeon Headsets? I came across the EZTalker Digital (http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products-ez3000.php) on tekkeon.com, but couldn't find any reference to it here. I've been searching for a viable Caller ID headset, and the BT800 just isn't comfortable. This particular model also claims to be able to access the device phone book for direct dial from the headset. Any one checked out this model?
Thanks
Will

gadgtman
01-02-2006, 05:21 PM
A little clarification on the Discovery 640. Yes, it comes with a multitude of adapters and a nice carrying case for all of the stuff; however, you only need to carry the Headset and charging barrel and one adaptor if you are using the USB adaptor to share with your BlackBerry and no adapters if you are using the wall charger which is very small. Another alternative is just bring the AAA battery charge barrel and the barrel headset holder and headset without the wall charger. It gives you options but you never really have to carry much and the barrel charger holder for the headset is a convenient way to carry the headset either in your pocket or clipped to a pocket.
Barjohn- I'ver read the user manual a couple times and it appears that you have to use the Headset Carrying Pocket to charge the Headset via the AC Power Adapter, which is contrary to what you state here. It looks like you connect the AC Adapter to the Carrying Pocket, then slide the Headset into the pocket. Which I suppose is no big deal.

Are you saying that you can use your BB mini-USB cable with the optional Mini-USB Charging Adapter (70393-01)? It looks like this adapter needs to be paired with the USB Headset Charger (69519-01). It states that the USB Adapter is for the Moto RAZR....even if it will work with the BB mini-USB cable, is stinks I'd have to buy both the USB Charger and USB Adapter...just another two expenses on top of an already extremely high priced headset.

Can you please clarify for me?

barjohn
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
gadgtman, No, that is what I was saying (I called it the charging barrel) you are calling it by its correct name, the headset carrying adaptor. With it, the headset and the wall charger you have everything you need to carry. You could replace the wall charger with either the AAA battery holder that snaps into the headset carrying adaptor to charge the headset (good for 3 charges per AAA battery) or alternatively you could purchase the mini USB adaptor and then use a USB cable to either your laptop if you are carrying one or to the charger you use for your BlackBerry.

The point I was trying to make is that you don't need to carry but one extra item compared to most Bluetooth headsets and that is the headset carrying pocket/charge adaptor. In fact some other Bluetooth headsets do require a separate charging stand to be carried which I would argue is more of a pain than the charging holder.

gadgtman
01-02-2006, 08:14 PM
gadgtman, No, that is what I was saying (I called it the charging barrel) you are calling it by its correct name, the headset carrying adaptor. With it, the headset and the wall charger you have everything you need to carry. You could replace the wall charger with either the AAA battery holder that snaps into the headset carrying adaptor to charge the headset (good for 3 charges per AAA battery) or alternatively you could purchase the mini USB adaptor and then use a USB cable to either your laptop if you are carrying one or to the charger you use for your BlackBerry.

The point I was trying to make is that you don't need to carry but one extra item compared to most Bluetooth headsets and that is the headset carrying pocket/charge adaptor. In fact some other Bluetooth headsets do require a separate charging stand to be carried which I would argue is more of a pain than the charging holder.
Thanks barjohn, good points. So can I use the mini-USB cable that came with my BB 7130e (Verizon) in conjunction with the Plantronics mini-USB adapter? Or do I have to purchase the Plantronics USB cable as well?

hf1khal
01-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I have had the moto h700 for about a week now also. It does fit a little loosely, but it is quite comfortable and it has never come close to falling off. I find the volume in the ear piece not exceptional, but more than acceptable. But, I have found a big flaw with it (for me). When the mike is left open, the blue light on the headset blinks for a while and then turns of to save power (according to the manual). Ather the blue light stops blinking, the headset picks up incoming calls very slowly - in fact a couple have went to VM due to this. If the light is blinking, the headset picks up calls immediately. Do I have a bad headset? Anyone else experiencing this?

I used mine today durring a 6 hour drive. The drive included open windows at over 70 MPH and also durring verry heavy rain fall that caused a lot of noise in the car. durring all that time not one single person complained about it and the incoming voice was acceptable, I agree it could be a bit louder. As to the connection when it goes into standby, it held fine and it always picked the call quicly (after going to sleep) and did not miss a call.

barjohn
01-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks barjohn, good points. So can I use the mini-USB cable that came with my BB 7130e (Verizon) in conjunction with the Plantronics mini-USB adapter? Or do I have to purchase the Plantronics USB cable as well?
My understanding is that the one you use with your BB should work just fine. I don't have the adapter so I can't be positive but another poster claimed it worked. If someone knows otherwise perhaps they will post the info.

RoadRider
01-02-2006, 09:36 PM
I used mine today durring a 6 hour drive. The drive included open windows at over 70 MPH and also durring verry heavy rain fall that caused a lot of noise in the car. durring all that time not one single person complained about it and the incoming voice was acceptable, I agree it could be a bit louder. As to the connection when it goes into standby, it held fine and it always picked the call quicly (after going to sleep) and did not miss a call.

Thanks hf, not to beat up the point, but when your headset is "asleep", you are able to answer an incoming call rapidly by pressing the button on the headset? In that scenario, when I press the headset button, there is considerable delay before the call gets answered and transfered to the headset. so, do I have a problem with the headset or the phone?

hf1khal
01-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks hf, not to beat up the point, but when your headset is "asleep", you are able to answer an incoming call rapidly by pressing the button on the headset? In that scenario, when I press the headset button, there is considerable delay before the call gets answered and transfered to the headset. so, do I have a problem with the headset or the phone?

One a call comes in and I press the button it ansewrs right then. I also at times take off my ear and put it on the side and when the phone rings I get it and put it on my ear and ansewr with no problems. Some of the calls that I recieved were any hwere between 15 minutes apart and one was after one hour of standby.

gadgtman
01-03-2006, 07:15 AM
My understanding is that the one you use with your BB should work just fine. I don't have the adapter so I can't be positive but another poster claimed it worked. If someone knows otherwise perhaps they will post the info.
Thanks again...if the Jabra JX10 doesn't work out for me, I'll look into the 640. Can anyone confirm if you can use the optional mini-USB adapter (for the 640) with a BB mini-USB cable?

gregg
01-03-2006, 07:29 AM

I use a Zip Linq usb cable with a motorola tip to charge from my laptop, no problems.

torifile
01-03-2006, 02:14 PM
I just got the plantronics 640. I haven't had the chance to use it yet (still charging) but the presentation is just fantastic! Being an avid Apple person, I appreciate good presentation. They did a great job with it. Very slick... Now I hope the device functions as well as it looks (Apple has shown that form and function can go hand in hand, so I have high hopes. And high expectations. :-) )

AlbertoM
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks again...if the Jabra JX10 doesn't work out for me, I'll look into the 640. Can anyone confirm if you can use the optional mini-USB adapter (for the 640) with a BB mini-USB cable?
Yes.

gadgtman
01-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Yes.
Thanks Alberto.

Where can you buy the mini-USB adapter for the 640? There's nothing on Plantronics site.

AlbertoM
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I use www.blueheadsets.com

There are others, but this is the one I use for headsets, and I have no vested interest in the site. I have received fast and courteous service at a good price.

See HERE (http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/DISCOVERY640-MINIUSB) , although you may want to Google it....

kjaslow
01-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Not sure what you mean. The D640 comes with several adapters that fit the charging sleeve. Then all you do after you snap the adapter is to plug in the phone charger it matches, i.e., Motorola charger to Moto base, Sony Erickson charger to SE base. I ordered the mini-usb adapter so that you can plug in the mini-usb for the BB or the RAZR. All it does is change whatever you can plug in the bottom. Otherwise you plug in their proprietary charger in the bottom or the longer sleeve with the AAA battery which also vibrates. Hope that made it clear.

I knew that part! What I meant was whether using the Moto adapter with the Blackberry charger or the computer's USB port had any detrimental effects? I expect that USB is USB, and the amps coming in from that port would generally be close enough not to harm the D640's battery. But that was my question - not how it works, but whether everything seems compatible once you get the cables all hooked up...

Anyone doing this with their 8700's cables yet? Does anything overheat, etc?

AlbertoM
01-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I knew that part! What I meant was whether using the Moto adapter with the Blackberry charger or the computer's USB port had any detrimental effects? I expect that USB is USB, and the amps coming in from that port would generally be close enough not to harm the D640's battery. But that was my question - not how it works, but whether everything seems compatible once you get the cables all hooked up...

Anyone doing this with their 8700's cables yet? Does anything overheat, etc?

Ah. OK, I have a mini-usb cable connected to my computer. It serves many purposes, as I use it to connect to my iRiver, BlackBerry and the Discovery 640. I haven't had any problems yet. It may be different from the BB charger (and someone else may answer that), but not from the computer. HTH.

gadgtman
01-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I use www.blueheadsets.com

There are others, but this is the one I use for headsets, and I have no vested interest in the site. I have received fast and courteous service at a good price.

See HERE (http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/DISCOVERY640-MINIUSB) , although you may want to Google it....
Thanks Alberto...I've checked this and other sites for the mini USB adpater and can't find it anywhere. Where did you get yours?

AlbertoM
01-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Well, gadg, that is where I got it. And usually in forums, when someone says see HERE (http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/DISCOVERY640-MINIUSB) it means that if you click the word HERE (http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/DISCOVERY640-MINIUSB) it will take you to the hyperlink that the writer wants you to go....

so, skipping that word

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/DISCOVERY640-MINIUSB

(y) :smile:

gadgtman
01-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Well, gadg, that is where I got it. And usually in forums, when someone says see HERE (http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/DISCOVERY640-MINIUSB) it means that if you click the word HERE (http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/DISCOVERY640-MINIUSB) it will take you to the hyperlink that the writer wants you to go....

so, skipping that word

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/DISCOVERY640-MINIUSB

(y) :smile:
I knew what you meant when you said to click here....what I meant was I actually plugged in the part number in the search field and it came back with nothing. Not sure why....but thanks again for the link! It looks like it will definitely work with my BB charging cable. I'll be picking up the 640 today for testing, and should be recieving the Jabra JX10 tomorrow. I'm really hoping one of these two is it for me....so far, the Voyager 510 is the best performer, but the least desirable in terms of size. All the Moto's suck - they're going back. They guy at the returns desk is gonna hate me.

AlbertoM
01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Alls well that ends well...at least you got there! Hope one works for you!

gadgtman
01-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Alls well that ends well...at least you got there! Hope one works for you!
We'll see later today after I get to charge it up.

On a side note, just recieved my Jabra JX10, charging it up now. Very, very light, seems to stay fairly snug, uses a proprietary USB charging cable (only about 8 inches long). Even thought the ear loop is very comfortable, it disconnects too easily to change ears, don't like that. Will report on this later.

WMurray
01-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Sorry for the duplicate post, was just curious about this unit:

Anyone have any experience with Tekkeon Headsets? I came across the EZTalker Digital (http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products-ez3000.php) on tekkeon.com, but couldn't find any reference to it here. I've been searching for a viable Caller ID headset, and the BT800 just isn't comfortable. This particular model also claims to be able to access the device phone book for direct dial from the headset. Any one checked out this model?
Thanks
Will

hf1khal
01-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Now who is gpoing to be able to get the new moto BT headset and test it?

Link to the H5 MiniBlue: http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,133,00.html

mortgageguy
01-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Sorry for the duplicate post, was just curious about this unit:

Thanks
Will

...you have to use the Search button. There is plenty of info on it.

KonTiki
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Link to the H5 MiniBlue: http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,133,00.html

I saw this one and it sounds to good to be true. For one, the thing that concerns me right of the bat is the fit, not all ear canals are the same, will it come with different sized earpieces to make sure you have a good enough fit. Otherwise I'd ne concerned about it flying off and loosing it or stepping on it as you turn around to retrieve it. I am sure that it will be great technologically and I would love to get my hands on one to test.

gadgtman
01-04-2006, 04:14 PM

Fist of all, it's a Moto, and 2nd, only 1.5 hours per charge. Yikes, don't need that. I did see on Phonescoop there's a behind the ear H605 coming out, that sounded interesting. But it's still a Moto.

AlbertoM
01-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Fist of all, it's a Moto, and 2nd, only 1.5 hours per charge. Yikes, don't need that. I did see on Phonescoop there's a behind the ear H605 coming out, that sounded interesting. But it's still a Moto.
Nothing wrong with Moto. I had good luck with them.

I'm not concerned about it falling out, as someone else mentioned. The AX and the Discovery do not fall out, and I am sure it will come with different sizes earpieces.

The talk/standby times give me some concern, as usually these are exagerated. Practically no headset in the market gets the talk time/standby times advertised.

This also concerns me:

Talk Time: headset up to approximately 1.5 hours, system up to approximately 7.5 hours using the included portable charging base.

What is THAT supposed to mean? Several times during the blurb they referred to 7.5 hours talk time, with the base. Does it mean that it charges in the ear? Plantronics likes to talk about 15 hours use, but that means taking the D640 out of the ear and placin it into the sleeve in your pocket.

Guess we'll have to wait. But it does look way cool.....

Stinsonddog
01-08-2006, 11:23 PM
No rebate. Wee of Jan 8th, 2006.

torifile
01-09-2006, 04:01 PM
No rebate. Wee of Jan 8th, 2006.
J&R had it for $79 last week. I don't know if that was a sale price or regular price.

xkon
01-09-2006, 09:04 PM
My favorite has been the hs810, now the hs850.. Love the form factor and it may be a tad quiet, but I love how the boom controls off and on. Have been using one for almost 2 years now! The only advantage the 850 has is battery life, I thought the 810's was great as well... Have used them with 7100, 7290, 8700, moto v600, v3, and v710.

lifeisgood
01-09-2006, 09:59 PM
[/FONT]
[SIZE=6]
[COLOR=Black]
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, but figured I'd give some input to the BT headsets. I purchased the Jabra BT250v and have excellent results with the 8700. The clarity is really good and I also like the fact that it has a vibrate mode that can be turned on and off. One other thing is you can get a car charger from CompUSA right now for 10.00 for the jabra.

The talk time is 8 hrs. not sure of the standby, but I used it on a cross country trip (by car) and didn't have to charge it till we got to the east coast.
For those of you who like speakerphones, I would highly recommend the Motorola BT speaker. Works great and it's real clear.

tc94040
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Just got the rebate headset. It's a Moto 820. But I have a Jabra 250v and love the Jabra. I've used the Moto 810 too, but have since sold it.

Stinsonddog
01-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Is there a place to attach the 640 to a neck lanyard?

Jelly Bean
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
motorola HS850 here
loose, lag time answering, folds up great, long charge life, in the car picks up back ground noise...but I drive a jeep wrangler, hard-top, so that may be the problem

barjohn
01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Is there a place to attach the 640 to a neck lanyard?
None I can see but it does have a pocket clip like a pen so you can put it in a pocket like you would a pen. That has worked for me. Also, since I wera a neck lanyard for my badges I can clip it to the lanyard too.

torifile
01-10-2006, 10:06 PM
I think the 640 does have a place for a lanyard - there are 2 holes right below the power button. I don't know what would fit there, but you can most certainly string a thread there, if you were so inclined.

barjohn
01-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Just completed my initial review of the new Custom AX2 headset. It is a real winner, go check it out!

barjohn
01-13-2006, 12:37 AM
bump.

hf1khal
01-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Thanks John. One question. Do you think that may be one day you can group the results in a group for cpmarison basis like a spread sheet style? I wish that I have the patience to do at least part of what you do in your valuable spare time.

barjohn
01-13-2006, 01:38 AM
I will try and do a comparative spreadsheet like I did early on where I score them. The problem I have run into is that the bar keeps being raised. The newer headsets are quite an improvement on the earlier headsets and therefore my criteria goes up too. In a face off, I try and compare current headsets that are comparable in specifications and claims. Every headset has its short commings so it just depends on what is improtant to you. Stay tuned for my reviews and baseline tests coming up.

mortgageguy
01-13-2006, 08:19 AM
None I can see but it does have a pocket clip like a pen so you can put it in a pocket like you would a pen. That has worked for me. Also, since I wera a neck lanyard for my badges I can clip it to the lanyard too.

I took the pen clip off and attached a Rivots belt clip to it. Now I can actually pull the headset out of the holder without the whole thing coming out.

mortgageguy
01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Just completed my initial review of the new Custom AX2 headset. It is a real winner, go check it out!

I just read your review John. It sounds like an excellent choice and I want one. I've been using a combination of the D640 in quiet environments and my wired ShureSpot Boom in noisy ones. The custom AX2 seems to be the perfect solution. Let us know as soon as you get the detailed info on how to make.

Thanks,

MortgageGuy

barjohn
01-13-2006, 09:59 AM
I just read your review John. It sounds like an excellent choice and I want one. I've been using a combination of the D640 in quiet environments and my wired ShureSpot Boom in noisy ones. The custom AX2 seems to be the perfect solution. Let us know as soon as you get the detailed info on how to make.

Thanks,

MortgageGuy

Mr Wiskers told me he will make them for anyone that wants one. PM me your contact information and I will send it to him. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can make it yourself. I have asked him to send me pictures of the unit taken apart.

barjohn
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I took the pen clip off and attached a Rivots belt clip to it. Now I can actually pull the headset out of the holder without the whole thing coming out.

How about some pictures so we can see what you did.

barjohn
01-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I just added some more information to my web site and some additional sound comparisons including the Boom, the ety*com headsets and a standard AX2.

mrod7280
01-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Barjohn,

I just looked at your website and noticed you reviewed the Tekkeon extalker mini. I just purchased one of this headsets and have encountered a couple of problems that I am trying to determine the cause of. I am using a BB 8700c with this headset. This is my first bluethooth headset and my problems may not be problems at all but may just be inherent to bluetooth. When I turn on my headset and make sure the phone is set to discover bluetooth devices the headset does not automatically connect. When I get a call, I have to press the talk button on the headset once to establish a bluetooth connection and then again to actually answer the call. Does your Tekkeon operate in this manner? When making a call, i have to make the call on my BB and then select to active the headset. Is this normal? Thanks for any help you can provide.

barjohn
01-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Make sure that you have set your device to trusted. You do this by going to 'options', 'Bluetooth', selecting your device and then clicking on the track wheel and selecting properties and finally changing 'Trusted' to yes. It should automatically connect after that, though after it loses a connection you may need to press the talk button once to reestablish your connection. Normal to dial out on the phone but you should be connected during the process and hear what is happening.

AlbertoM
01-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Some headsets do that. My old AX BlueSpoon did that. Turned it on, then after it was on a single press on the multi-button would establish connection and keep it connected.

mrod7280
01-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I have the device set to trusted. I am not automatically connected when dialing out but rather have to activate the headset on the BB. I am wondering if my BB (just got it two weeks ago) is having the bluetooth radio issues i have read about here. I appreciate your help.

SUFan
01-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Barjohn - I am considering switching from a V510 to the D640 but hesitant due to the charging issue. Does the D640 offer a better choice over the V510:

1. For size, comfort and weight
2. I wear eye glasses
3. Want something small, un-obtrusive and non-geeky
3. Is the charging issue that annoying?

Thanks.

NCBuckeye
01-23-2006, 04:47 PM
gagetman any other reviews on the jabra jx10?

barjohn
01-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Barjohn - I am considering switching from a V510 to the D640 but hesitant due to the charging issue. Does the D640 offer a better choice over the V510:

1. For size, comfort and weight
2. I wear eye glasses
3. Want something small, un-obtrusive and non-geeky
3. Is the charging issue that annoying?

Thanks.

The D640 is smaller, weighs less and I think is more comfortable for eye glass wearers. With the little mod I made I don't find the charging isue to be a big deal. Un-obtrusive and non-geeky are rather subjective so I say look at the pictures and decide for yourself. The main place the V510 wins is in noise cancellation and wind. Otherwise the D640 is superrior.

JesterDog
01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
John,

Thank you for the review, I think I am going to contact Bob and get one made. I've been in constant quest for the perfect headset, it appears that this one might be just the ticket.

TravelinMan
01-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Picked up the Moto 700 this weekend and had it on fairly extensively today. This is my first BT headset so here's my first impression.

- Great look and size. Sync'ed with the 8700 without issue and the folding boom works great
- Felt uncomfortable, at times painfull. Some re-adjustment helped but overall felt like my ear was being pushed out.
- My voice was super clear, this based on some VM that I left and several conversations.
- Volume for me was low. I would really like it to be much louder.

Result - I will be returning this unit. I like it but not at the $120 I paid. Next up is trying the Plantronics 640 that seems to be getting good reviews. Anyone know a retail store that is carrying the 640. Don't want to deal with mail order returns if I don't like it.

Thanks for listening,
T

barjohn
01-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Comp USA carries the D640.

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm still waiting on a review on this model. It seems pretty cool to me. And this may be just my opinion, but I don't understand why more ppl in here are not interested in a caller ID feature. I really want to have that on my headset so I don't have to pull out the BB to see who's calling. What does everyone else think?

http://www.shop4tech.com/photos/item-4591-2-500.jpg

http://www.shop4tech.com/item4591.html

Here's a review from a user:
Reviewed by: Dave User on 2005-11-22 08:32:36. Rating:rated 5
This is the best - the absolute best Bluetooth headset I have experienced. I tried a Plantronics unit, then went to the Jabra V250 to use with my Blackberry 7100t. All I had was static and very limited range (I had to hold my phone within a couple of feet of the headset). I decided that bluetooth was all hype and no substance so I gave up on it all together. But - I travel a lot and after some time passed decided that I had to give bluetooth another try. So I bought the Motorola HS850. Great range, small, comforable - but it always felt like it was going to fall off. I could live with that, but the worst thing - it wasn't loud enough. But this convinced me that bluetooth can provide decent range. If only I could find a headset like the Motorola with more volume. So I bought the Tekkeon. This is incredible. More comfortable than any of the others, balanced with the battery behind the ear, super range, no static, and clarity. I can make it as loud as I want - usually I keep the volume in the middle. Everything I wanted. Plus a couple of bonuses. First wind doesn't bother it - so I can use it outside. This is the first headset, wired or wireless I have been able to use outside. Also, the display is nice, particularly because you know the status of the battery. Also, I believe Tekkeon is going to sell additional batteries so if you are like me and you talk a lot during the day, you can have a spare battery, which can be charged while separated from the unit itself! Finally - finally. I was looking for a "B" headset but found one that scores an A+ in a field of underperformers that would barely merit a D- rating.

And more info:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1648794&Sku=T120-1014

http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products-ez3000.php

mriff
01-29-2006, 07:46 PM
The D640 is smaller, weighs less and I think is more comfortable for eye glass wearers. With the little mod I made I don't find the charging isue to be a big deal. Un-obtrusive and non-geeky are rather subjective so I say look at the pictures and decide for yourself. The main place the V510 wins is in noise cancellation and wind. Otherwise the D640 is superrior.
I ordered the 510 a few days ago from Amazon (based on barjohn's review). The price was less than $50. I was pleasantly surprized. Looking forward to trying it out.

barjohn
01-29-2006, 07:50 PM
So... why don't you get it and give us a review? At 25g it is on the heavy side by todays standards (usually less than 15g). I find the wind noise resistance hard to believe given the mic location. Being unidirectional is not enough to effect much noise cancellation so I wonder about that claim too. Only one way to know and that is to buy & try. Let us know what you find.

coreyg510
01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Hs500

AlbertoM
01-29-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm still waiting on a review on this model. It seems pretty cool to me. And this may be just my opinion, but I don't understand why more ppl in here are not interested in a caller ID feature. I really want to have that on my headset so I don't have to pull out the BB to see who's calling. What does everyone else think?

Well, on those ocassions that I get a phone call, I am wearing my headset - so it is way easier to look at the BB rather than removing the headset and looking at it - so for me, and for virtually most if not all BT users I have talked to, this feature is useless, adds weight and consumes more power. :smile:

YMMV.

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, on those ocassions that I get a phone call, I am wearing my headset - so it is way easier to look at the BB rather than removing the headset and looking at it - so for me, and for virtually most if not all BT users I have talked to, this feature is useless, adds weight and consumes more power. :smile:

YMMV.
I can see your point, but I am not the type to walk around with the headset on all day. Just not my style. I'd rather have it in my pocket and take a peek before I put it on and answer.

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
So... why don't you get it and give us a review? At 25g it is on the heavy side by todays standards (usually less than 15g). I find the wind noise resistance hard to believe given the mic location. Being unidirectional is not enough to effect much noise cancellation so I wonder about that claim too. Only one way to know and that is to buy & try. Let us know what you find.
Umm, that's a job for you review-stuff types, not me. I decide what I want based on opinions of people like yourself. :smile:

mriff
01-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Umm, that's a job for you review-stuff types, not me. I decide what I want based on opinions of people like yourself. :smile:
Lol. That's what I did. I wanted a bt headset, went to barjohn's site, read it for about 15 minutes and made the big decision. Based solely on his review. And I didn't even read the whole review, just the conclusion. :oops:

gadgtman
01-30-2006, 07:50 AM
gagetman any other reviews on the jabra jx10?
I ended up sending it back and choosing the Plantronics 510. The main reasons I sent the JX10 back are:

1) DSP really worked against this unit. Too many times it kicked in and created alot of static and major distortion to the person I was speaking with. It tested it on my vm several times, and some of my messages were totally illegible. And just to clarify, I left several messages under the same settings (with 4 bars of signal strength), and some of the messages were fine. So to me, the DSP was hit or miss.

2) The earloop design is poor - it connects very loosly and dislodges too easily. It kept falling off in my pocket...I'm assuming it was designed this way to easily switch ears.

3) Volume was too low, and the speaker "crackled" at the highest setting. I could have gotten a defective unit. Somebody in HOFO took a Jabra eargel and placed it over the speaker; I tried it, made a big difference in volume due to it being in the ear canal. But that wasn't enough to offset the first two issues I mentioned.

Hope that helps.

billclark
03-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Jabra JX10 w/BB8700c? I currently own a Jabra BT250 that I've had for a while now, but I'm about ready to toss it out the window of my moving car. I wear glasses, and the over-the-ear stem is far too thick to "share the space" with the arm of my glasses. I see that the JX10 can be worn with or without the ear hook, but even so, the ear hook is very slim.

I'm curious to know how the sound quality is, and for 179 bucks, it had better be darn goon :)

-Bill

NCBuckeye
03-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Look above your post for the jx-10....LOL.

barjohn
03-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Gee guys you don't read the whole review after I type my fingers to the bone?

billclark
03-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Yes, I did read the posts above regarding the JX10, and I suppose it was my fault for not being very clear as to what info I was looking for. The info regarding sound quality is excellent, and I do appreciate everyone's sharing their experience, but I was also hoping to hear from someone who wears glasses that has used the JX10.

Sorry for the confusion :)

-B

takeshi
03-08-2006, 09:03 AM
And this may be just my opinion, but I don't understand why more ppl in here are not interested in a caller ID feature.

It's a plus but not a must-have feature. Clarity (on both ends), comfort, and reliability are my top three concerns. If a Bluetooth headset can meet those and then add caller ID I would probably go for it.

I generally use the OEM plastic holster with an eGrip stuck to the battery door so quickly drawing the handheld is never really a problem.

SUFan
03-08-2006, 09:36 AM
I was using the Plantronics 510 and now use the 640. The 510 is fine but the 640 is better for me as I wear glasses and its much smaller and less dorky looking. I have to use the optional ear clip as it is a bit loose for me without it. Also, the charger sleeve is very sensitive - its like it doesn't always make good contact with the headset pins.

billclark
03-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I was using the Plantronics 510 and now use the 640. The 510 is fine but the 640 is better for me as I wear glasses and its much smaller and less dorky looking. I have to use the optional ear clip as it is a bit loose for me without it. Also, the charger sleeve is very sensitive - its like it doesn't always make good contact with the headset pins.

SUFan, thanks for the info. I'm thinking I may pick one up at my local Best Buy this afternoon on my way home from work to try it out.

As for the charging sleeve, barjohn had a decent solution that sounds like it's working out well for him. Look back a few pages... something about a 1/32" thick piece of adhesive foam on the inside of the sleeve.

Thanks again!

-B

fftonyb
03-17-2006, 02:11 PM
My first post here. I thought I would weigh in with my experience.

I use the Motorola H700. I like it because I can take one look at know if it is on or off. I've never lost a signal when I am within about 20' and have a direct line of sight.

But here is the best part. When I am in my car I use a cigarette lighter adapter for the 8700. I rarely carry a headset with me for any number of reasons. But the part I really like is the cigarette lighter adapter I use for the 8700 can then be used to recharge the H700.

I get good sound. I can use the wheel for volume.

My .02

tnj4uga
03-17-2006, 08:10 PM
BarJohn,

I read the whole review and bought the NxZen. It's a keeper for the noise cancellation alone. I'm surprised I haven't seen more people here with one. Maybe the curve has moved in the past three months already and it was left behind... (I buy, I quit reviewing)

Mako5
03-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Has anyone tried the Sony Ericsson HBH-660?

rjhouck
04-07-2006, 02:27 PM
I purchased my Plantronics 640 with a Razr V3 and it worked great. However, when I recently got my BB 8700 people started complaining about background noise and said I sounded like I was in a tin can. I really like this devise but I am now looking for a new Bluetooth device more compatible with the 8700.

jlt3
07-17-2006, 01:04 PM
My Jabra BT500 works well with my 8700c. People report that they can hear me just fine. Sometimes, in loud environments, I have trouble hearing others (even with the volume set to its highest level).

Also, I learned the hard way that the BT500's arm breaks easily. I've gone through 2 replacement arms already. I don't know if it's a manufactuer defect, or if it's my usage. However, I wrote to Jabra about my issue, and they sent me a couple replacement arms.

The good news is that the arms take about 10 seconds to replace (just pop off the entire module...all of the moving parts are really just 1 integrated piece). The bad news is that I keep needing to replace the arms every couple of months.

Oh yeah, be sure to get the software update for the BT500. It makes a significant difference in connection speed once the call is answered.

meezerbean
07-17-2006, 01:28 PM
I've had no such issues with my H700, its been the best BT headset I've had so far. Better than the HS850 and flamingo.

edit: oh and you can find it for $80 online, not $130.

Ditto! I love my H700. I have had the H500 and HS810. I liked it so much I bought another H700 for my girlfriend to use with her PEBL. I have no issues with either.

-James

Mako5
07-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Has anyone tried the new Sony Ericsson HBH-IV835 w/Bluetooth 2.0?