PDA

View Full Version : No email is safe - no not our Pins either

DocGo
11-08-2004, 07:01 PM

t'nman
01-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Look here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050106/RCIBCEMAIL06/TPBusiness/Canadian/

seanmo
01-06-2005, 06:15 PM
I just read this article and something struck me. . . I think the defendants (Those leaving CIBC) were using regular BB email, not PINing. The quoted messages in the article all have senders with email addresses - wouldn't those display as PIN numbers if they were sent via PINing?

jeremy
01-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Good point, seanmo. Furthermore, PINs don't touch BES, just the networks of the carrier(s) and RIM so how would the company ever see P-to-P messages?

headtailgrep
01-06-2005, 10:31 PM
What if backups of the sent-mail was collected by the company through BES? Surely you have access to some of the 'sent mail' which should include PIN numbers?

What if these users had to turn in their Blackberries??? The company may be able to break the encryption since they are the authority, and a key may be stored on this Blackberry for the company to decrypt what's on it.

If another company or entity tried though, they do not have this key and thertefore it's secure to the organization, but not to the user.

It's similar to Microsoft's Encryption for Windows XP/Server 2003.. you can decrypt for ALL computers regardless in your organiztion, but other organizations will not have the key to do so..